Main Menu

Sideshow Vote II: I am just a wingman, but I also want to be famous

Started by broodblik, 22 June, 2022, 04:18:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

In all stories you get the main protagonist that leads the roast and then you can the sidekick (supporting cast). Off the support cast that we had over the years in the prog who do you feel the most interesting character will be to get an own series:
-   Ukko
-   Midnight Indicating Shame
-   Colonel Kovert
-   Purity Brown
-   Thrax
-   PJ Maybe
-   Judge Maitland
-   Rico
-   Wulf
-   Someone else....

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Rogue Judge

Colin YNWA

I really like Midnight Indicating Shame, but I'm not sure they'd sustain their own series. I'm going to have to put my thinking cap on for this one.

Funt Solo

Argument that Purity already had her own series in Book VIII: Purity's Story.

On that basis, and until I think of a better sidekick, my vote goes to Grobbendonk.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

AlexF

As sidekicks, my faves have long been Hoagy & Stogie
But as sidekicks who might star in their own spin-off, I'm voting for Purity Brown. As said, she's already had at least one crack at it with Nemesis Book VIII, and also, kinda, that book of Deadlock that is also Nemesis Book XI.
I also kinda want to see the world of Sinister Dexter from someone else's point of view, I guess Billi Octavo is the most obvious candidate?

Magnetica

So we have already had a whole load from the Judge Dredd strip including:

Anderson PSI Division
Cadet Anderson
Judge Death/ young Death/ dark Judges
Hershey
Mean Machine / Angel Gang.

Are you not counting those as the spin offs already exist?

As for others, I really like PJ, but arguably he has already had a whole load of his strips, it's just that they were in the main Dredd strip.

In theory a Ukko strip sounds great, but in reality I'm not sure how much mileage there would actually be in it.

Billy Octavo is a good shout, but again not sure how much mileage there would really be in it.

broodblik

Quote from: Magnetica on 22 June, 2022, 11:35:02 AM
So we have already had a whole load from the Judge Dredd strip including:

Anderson PSI Division
Cadet Anderson
Judge Death/ young Death/ dark Judges
Hershey
Mean Machine / Angel Gang.

Are you not counting those as the spin offs already exist?

Any character that played a supporting role which at this stage did not have an own series
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Proudhuff

Judge Maitland so much more to offer than Cassandra's spooky hokum
DDT did a job on me

norton canes

GoGilesGo

Quote from: Proudhuff on 22 June, 2022, 01:41:25 PM
Judge Maitland so much more to offer than Cassandra's spooky hokum

You could argue with The Bean Counter, Carry the Nine and The Hard Way, Maitland already has her own (ongoing) series.

Aren't all Slaine stories narrated by Ukko? Does that technically make them Ukkp stories? I might be splitting hairs.

I really enjoyed the one off Wulf Sternhammer story from the 2019 Carlos Tribute Special, so my vote goes to the big man.

Huey2

Not sure I'd want any sidekicks to get their own strip. For the most part, the Parent strip always seems to lose out (Newly promoted character is effectively now immortal and the parent strip has lost one of its best characters) whilst the new star often has to have some of their edges sanded off in order to make the transition.

but for the purposes of the game, I will say Ursa and Zog from Blackhawk. Throw in a long-suffering Battak and even better.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I'd go for a Thrax series, and the special a while back showed the promise of a solo Wulf run.

So we will say Wulf.

SBT

sheridan

Quote from: AlexF on 22 June, 2022, 10:35:24 AM
As sidekicks, my faves have long been Hoagy & Stogie
But as sidekicks who might star in their own spin-off, I'm voting for Purity Brown. As said, she's already had at least one crack at it with Nemesis Book VIII, and also, kinda, that book of Deadlock that is also Nemesis Book XI.
I also kinda want to see the world of Sinister Dexter from someone else's point of view, I guess Billi Octavo is the most obvious candidate?

Actually took me a few moments to remember it was under the Deadlock banner rather than Purity!

sheridan

Quote from: Huey2 on 23 June, 2022, 11:01:36 AM
but for the purposes of the game, I will say Ursa and Zog from Blackhawk. Throw in a long-suffering Battak and even better.

Good call on Ursa and Zog - just been listening to the relevant Space Spinner 2000 episodes for the past few weeks (makes that commute whizz by) and they were definitely the break-out characters.