Main Menu

1320 - Tara.

Started by DavidXBrunt, 05 January, 2005, 10:36:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt.Zeep

Progged up and happy...can I be the first to point out that it's prog 1420, not 1320?

a few observations:  2nd City Blues reminds me very much of "Action" stories, - like "Sport's Not For Losers" but set in the future, which is no bad thing...art very reminiscent of that period in comix.

Slaine becomes more contorted as it re-revisits old ground...let's get this straight, he died, went in the cauldron, had an excellent adventure through time, then came back to his own time, presumably alive again,(how did that happen?) and now he's gone back (alive) into the cauldron of death and rebirth... it's a bit confusing.  And I miss Ukko.

Cabs - Gnat's Chuff Ahoy!  And...what became of the little boy who went over the wall for his ball?  I speculate that he might turn out to be a young Kostabi.  I liked Ravne's demonolgical pocket watch.

I'll leave it there .

Z

nobodyUK

It's 2:40 on Friday afternoon and the postman suddenly turns up with my prog. A soaked prog in a terribly torn envelope, that is. All I can say is that if I hadn't been out and got my mint-condition prog from Smiths the other day, I'd be pissed.

Anyhow, I'll give this slightly damaged copy to someone in the hope of getting them into Tooth. Still... Royal Mail and/or Rebellion disappoints again.

Byron Virgo

"Letters ? Kudos to Byron. Like the redesign that allows less letters per page: hopefully more letters pages as a result?"

Surprised to see that, actually, since I sent that ages ago. The took out my reference to 2000AD Review though, the inscutable devils!

"Cabs is no way near as good as the Chrimbo edition (even if that one did have a very strong whiff of hellboy to it)"

I think it's got as much to do with Dr. Who as Hellboy, hasn't it? - 'Michale Magister' indeed!

wrighty47

Oh that's typical. Blame us posties!!

Alan! - who only got his today too!

wrighty47

If I do get a damaged prog/Meg in my "new" subscription, I wil lbe contacting Rebellion for a replacement. It's okay to blame Royal Mail but honestly, they should be packaged much better than in a white envelope which I can guarantee you gives the comic no protection whatsoever.

I subscribed 3 weeks ago and so far i'm not impressed. Not got any free gift yet. No Christmas Prog/Meg (which were the issues I asked to start at, but i'll give it a few more days before really complaining), my prog came 2 days after it was in the shops, *AND* it was badly packaged!

Hmmmm!  :(

Alan!

thrillpowerseeker

'Don't confuse the words of a character with the opinions of the writer. '

Dont worry Gordon..we all know this is strictly a Hive principle that applies to Pat Mills right?..right?..

or maybe I am wrong?..maybe all comic writers use subtle and sometimes not so subtle hidden meanings in their plots in a bid to turn all sane people into HOMOPHOBIC HOMICIDAL ETHNIC CLEANSERS..

DREDD..OK i suppose..Reckon Gaia will end up working for the judges in pre-cog..

2nd City..starting to like this..I like the way its set in Future England..I like the familiar feel of it..its nice..

Slaine..Excellent as always..lets hope that Slaine captures Danu and gives her what for..hur hur..

Cabs..At last A story I'm interested in!..a curious tale of a Patchwork Football 1st introduced by Adidas for the 74 world cup in W Germany that has somehow become lost in time in London 1960..How did get here?..why is it making for the spooky old house?..what secrets does it hold?..lets wait and see..

Dante..Romptastic..

The Amstor Computer

Cover - more Langley. Everything that's nice about his art is here, but so is everything that's bollocks. Still overrated, IMO, and the drawing beneath the layers of Photoshoppery isn't up to scratch. New info box is neat enough, but as pointed out earlier - why the feck would you cover up this kind of thing on its first outing? Ah, well...

Nerve Centre - decent redesign, marred only by a fucking awful drawing of Tharg. Who the hell drew that? Liked the "Damage Report" on the droids at the bottom :-)

Dredd - interesting to see the new logo in here. Still not entirely convinced by it, but I'll give it time. Never been the biggest fan of Brashill's art, but it's OK here. Interesting story, but I suspect a planted memory scenario.

Second City Blues - dreadful pish. Not at all interested in this. Nice to see the 2K design staff getting value for money out of their new fonts, though... ;-)

Slaine - Crap Pat is in charge again, I fear. This was a *really* bad episode & the convoluted plot & dull enemies suggest this could be the weakest of the Books of Invasion. Langley - blah.

Caballistics - Entertaining, intriguing & definitely the best thing in the prog. Dom's art continues to evolve, and the last panel brings back happy memories of Necronauts. Top stuff.

Dante - Another strip that may struggle under the weight of its backstory. The gap between the last major arcs and this series certainly hasn't helped. Given time, it should level out. Some great moments & more luvverly Burns art. Can't wait to see his stuff reprinted in the Dante trades...

Letters - the redesign here works fairly well, but the light text on dark backgrounds is getting old. It is hard to read, no matter how careful the designer is, and it should be used very sparingly. More consideration needed. Again, the pic of Tharg is pish - get a decent artist to do these, please.

Overall, a bit of a quiet start to 2005. Second City Blues and Slaine drag the prog down, and a few ill-considered design choices take the edge off a pretty good revamp.

Oh - and please, give someone else a shot at the wraparound cover. And how about at least *one* cover from Dom Reardon this year?

opaque

Finally got my subs copy today.

Cover: Looks nice but very similar to one a few weeks ago

Dredd: Very nice indeed. Looking forwards to seeing more Judges by Brashill.

Second City Blues - Ok definately better than first episode but hard to see what it's adding, maybe another one that will take time?

Slaine - I didn't know Photo Stories were back in fashion. It looks beautiful but Slaine should have stopped a long time ago. Just too visually busy and I just skimmed it.

Cabalistics: Nice, I'm certainly getting more into this

Nikoli Dante: John Burns art is good but I'd rather see it done by one of the other artists. And whats actually going on? Since it went away from the Romanov/Tsar war I've lost interest.

Bolt-01

I'm going to put my hand up now and say that I enjoyed SCB. I thought Warren Pleece's art was lovely this prog and the strip was deliciosly light. Except for the bad thing happening to the girl, that is.

I'm mostly upset by those awful pics of Tharg on the input and letters pages. Dire. I could do better, in fact I will. Back at some point in the weekend with the results.

Bolt-01

The Amstor Computer

Bolt - heh, send them to Tharg ;-)

Carlsborg Expert.

Ooh ooh is tails from the lethiathon in still?

Wils

On the cover, someone's hit Slaine with some head shrinking magik. It's *seriously* out of proportion with the rest of him.

The Amstor Computer

'Fraid not, Smoker. Hopefully it'll return soon...

The Amstor Computer

Wils - not only that, but there's something *very* wrong with his arms...

Wils

I agree, although it'd make sense if he was warping-out, but by his tiny head*, he's definitely not.

* *Not* the one under his kilt. ;)