Main Menu

"Funk you!" -- Prog 1387

Started by The Amstor Computer, 26 April, 2004, 08:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noisybast

If we're talking archaic expletives, I always quite liked "Rantallion". A no-prize to the first border who can post a definition here...
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Dudley

It's not an ancient tennis term, but it does mean "One whose ballbag is longer than his racket"

Link: www.kokogiak.com/logolepsy/ow_r.html

The Amstor Computer

Noisy: Isn't it someone who has their balls hanging lower than their willy? Or am I getting confused again? ;-)

GordonR

'Funk'.  Oh dear.

Inventive psuedo-swear words can be great, in context.  (Dan Abnett's particularly good at making them up) But, generally, if you want your characters to swear, then let them swear properly.  If you don't, then forget about it, particularly if you're going for grim'n'gritty in your story.

I really liked the first episode of Savage, but all that 'funk' and 'funking' stuff was a big unintentional comedy put-off.

The Amstor Computer

I'm looking forward to seeing the "funking Volgans" - images of James Brown in pseudo-Russian army uniform have been flashing through my head all day...

thrillpowerseeker

Your damned if you do and damned if you dont..remember all the self righteous pontificating over Garth Ennis expletives when Preacher ran in the meg a while back?..the substitutes are rather silly tho IMO..I'd sooner see other words like friggin instead of fucking or none at all..

Dredd..The colour was a bit washed out but the tale was amusing..especially the paltry compensation of 37 creds 50.....8

Savage..I like new 'Grim n Gritty' style for this one, I suspect its how Pat would have liked to write it 1st time round..it did remind me style wise of Carver Hale..8

AHAB..This was a pleasant surprise..I was sure this was going to be a bummer but its great so far..8

Low Life..This is so beautiful to look at i've read it 3 times in a row..Tharg give me details of the availability of the GN and give me them NOW!!!...9

Chopper...hmmm didnt really take to this one even after a second read..Real downbeat stuff it was, and not in an engaging way..real sad to see jug dying of cancer..5

Droid Life..hellfire what was all that about?..6

T.P.S

Mr D

Full review some other time - but I liked Savage, for the most part. Not as bad as I feared it might be. I'll wait and see how it goes, but Pat Mills is slightly redeeming himself! Hurrah!

The swearing was abysmal though... Worst thing about it.

Mr C

GREAT BIG FUNKY SPOILERS (can ya dig it?)

Cover- 'Ave that you Volgan slags!

Dredd-Really great one off. How the hell does he still manage to crank out brilliance like this after over a quarter of a century? Mind expanding machinery from the future or mind expanding liquid from his local?

Savage- Impressed with the first episode, Adlard's got Savage down a treat looking like the mean funker that he is.
Slags. Pat should have used Slags. "Ave some of this you slags!" Sounds much better than "Ave some of this you funks!" Unless the Volgans are renowned for their disco fever. Hopefully Savage won't strip to the waist and run around with a big axe on behalf of a goddess. It would be interesting, but not for the right reasons :)

AHAB- Excellent start, I like the art and the setup (apart from the generic supervirus stuff) is intriguing. Love the final spalsh page! We need more of that every week!

Low-Life-Flint's style is very unique and has grown on me greatly since I first saw it. The story throws up some of the nastier aspects of Meg-1 but that's what this strip is all about.I like it.

Chopper- Ah chopper, good to have him back with Wagner at the helm. Brilliant end to Jug and a great hook at the end.

Back Page-Transformers! And the answer to a question that's been bugging me for years- Was there a cartoon and toy line of knights with supra-cool holograms on their chests? YES! Visionaries!
Thank you Tharg, your strategic advertising genius has made my day :)

Leigh S

The swearing is pretty insane - either go for bleeders and slags, or possibly Fack?  That would have got made more sense phonetically for yer Cockerneys, in a similarly way to Feck being acceptable...?

Otherwise, a grand start to the new run - no real complaints at all.

Capt.Zeep

Excellent one-off Dredd, really made me laugh.

And yes "funk" is really silly and jarring.  But Savage looks better than I expected.

The Amstor Computer

Just for Mr C:

*ahem*

"It is a time when magic is more powerful than science, and only those who control the magic, control destiny.

They are the Visionaries...

Visionaries, knights of the magical light!
Visionaries, with magical powers they fight!
Powers of life and strength, skill and speed,
Powers to accomplish the greatest of deeds!
Visionaries, knights of the magical light!"

W. R. Logan

>Savage..I like new 'Grim n Gritty' style for this one, I suspect its how Pat would have liked to write it 1st time round..it did remind me style wise of Carver Hale..8

So why didnt he, I mean he was the editor.

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan.

Leigh S

Because he didnt actually write it, beyond the first episode or two?  The idea was to set up the stories and pass them on... I'm sure theres no way we'd have seen the Savage we get now back then of course (it does reek a little of hype), but we dont get the Dredd of then now do we?

W. R. Logan

One episode in and we seem to have a miracle on out hands, the stone to the Mills mausoleum has been rolled to one side and he?s risen again, well you may think so after reading this thread.
Prog 1387 was for me a great read but the weak point of the Prog was Savage, both in art and story but is part one so lets see how it goes. Is it the second coming? Is It Funk.

My other query isn?t just limited to Savage although it seems to be happening to a higher degree in this episode. Why are so many words in bold, some seem to be done to highlight the title of the story, or to signpost something that we thick readers may miss, but for me it just seems to be done in a really random fashion.

La Placa Rifa,
W. R. Logan

Mr D

I agree, and I notice it happens a lot at random in other comics

I don't think Mills has 'risen again', but I enjoyed reading this.

Which is more than I can say about Black Siddha.