Main Menu

GARTH ENNIS PLANES and BOYS

Started by Tiplodocus, 02 October, 2008, 10:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Firstly, thanks to Proudhuff who send me a little bundle of Ennis shaped goodness in the post.

First two issues of THE BOYS was great fun (even though it was mostly talking heads) and I'm really looking forward to reading more.  Simon Pegg used as a character reference was a bit strange though.

Similarly, I liked the World War I flyings strip (WAR IS HELL).  It had that great feel of "5 Sopwith PUPs disappear into a cloud and never come out" about it; that war is a bit crazy and strange and unfathomable and you really don't want to be there. "Have I offered you a drink?"  And Chaykin's art is fantastic (I even liked the strange whizzy effect he used on the props).

I've not read all of the KEV stuff yet but at a glance it looks fun and it's really odd seeing Carols' art with a normal (not computer) coulouring job.  Would it be sacrilege to say I prefer it so?

So thanks, Huff, I owe you one.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Trout

The Boys is probably my favourite comic right now. You should definitely get more of it!

- Trout

Art

A little on the end of The Punisher, pretty much my fave recent Ennis thing, maybe even replacing Hitman in my heart.
//http://www.metafilter.com/74081/I-dont-kill-them-because-theyre-bad-people-I-kill-them-because-I-hate-them

Keef Monkey

A mate loaned me the first collection of The Boys (first 6 issues I think) and it was very very funny. Read it twice now, can't wait for book two (wish my mate would get the finger out and go buy it).

Proudhuff

Spread the word -pass it forward and all that, mind you a pint at Hi Ex wouldn't go amiss  :D
DDT did a job on me

Buddy

I think The Boys is getting some Hollywood interest, no doubt Mr Pegg will be getting the call to play the lead.

I don't read a lot of Garths stuff but when browsing his new releases in FP I play the game 'what controversial item will this book start with'.. it's usually something like a Bishop getting a blow job from a nun (or several nuns).. and I'm rarely disappointed.

Proudhuff

yeah there seems to be a fair bit o that, There is a classic example of this in the Boys, its never anything to do with the plot, just a gratuitous sex scene, not sure why: to shock? to show its a big boys comic? a wnak fest for the writer? he doesn't need it as he's proven elsewhere but he always slips it in (ooer Matron!)
DDT did a job on me

TheEdge

Quote from: "King Trout"The Boys is probably my favourite comic right now. You should definitely get more of it!

- Trout

Agreed ( Terror Rocks )
"Save Trees, Eat Beavers"
"Animal Rights: Animals have the right to be tasty"

Dandontdare

Okay, Garth can be  wee bit gratuitous at times, but that's his style and we all like it really! He makes no bones about it that's for sure - when the only dialogue on issue one, page one is "[spoiler]I'll fucking have you. You cunt[/spoiler]" you know what you're in for.

Vol 2 has some priceless moments - Love Sausage  or "I can't stop fucking things" - top class stuff.

Anyone know when vol 3 is likely to come out?

Tiplodocus

Ordered THE BOYS Volume 1 from Forbidden Planet.  

Along with a SUPER MARIO GALAXY poster for Tiny Tips.

I hope the two don't get mixed up...
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Proudhuff

LOL!

'Mummy Tips why is Mario doing that to the lady dog?'
DDT did a job on me

Trout

I just got issue 23 through the post today - the first part of We Gotta Go Now.

SPOILER

[spoiler]That last page's fucking hilarious![/spoiler]

- Trout

Tweak72

Quote from: "dandontdare"Okay, Garth can be  wee bit gratuitous at times, but that's his style and we all like it really! He makes no bones about it that's for sure - when the only dialogue on issue one, page one is "[spoiler]I'll fucking have you. You cunt[/spoiler]" you know what you're in for.

Vol 2 has some priceless moments - Love Sausage  or "I can't stop fucking things" - top class stuff.

Anyone know when vol 3 is likely to come out?

I totally agree. when I saw The first words spoken in the Boys "[spoiler]I'll fucking have you. You cunt[/spoiler]" I knew exactly what I was in for.

Its out now and I have a copy.
+++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING++++++THRILL POWER, OVERWHELMING+++

gurnard

Trout, [spoiler]I am with you on that the last page was a laugh out loud moment.  Always get one of those with this comic[/spoiler].

Dandontdare

Quote from: "Tweak72"Its out now and I have a copy.

'scuse me, I have an urgent appointment with Amazon.....  :)