Main Menu

'Free' Megazine GN Suggestions

Started by radiator, 01 July, 2008, 12:51:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grant Goggans

Well, if I can get over the blow to the ego of dandontdare not wantin' to read my scrotnig blog (sob!), I can venture a guess as to the answer to shark's question about why Rebellion and McKenzie (or Morrison, or Robinson) have not had a sitdown.  Flatly, I don't think that this is an argument that's going to be settled without attorneys in court, and it's not an argument that Rebellion can afford to lose.  If the courts decide that McKenzie does have all rights to Luke Kirby, then Morrison will file suit for Zenith, and any other freelancer who created a strip prior to Rebellion's takeover (which came with some more crystal-clear contracts spelling these things out so nobody can get upitty) can also file suit to take back whatever they wish.

So by going to court to emphasize the rights to sell a couple of thousand copies of a Luke Kirby graphic novel, Rebellion risks losing the rights to, well, Judge Dredd.  Worth the risk?  Some attorney has suggested it probably isn't.

Dandontdare

Quote from: "Grant Goggans"Well, if I can get over the blow to the ego of dandontdare not wantin' to read my scrotnig blog (sob!),
Soz mate, nothing personal!  8-)

Buttonman

Blogs aren't written to be read! I do mine as a sort of private diary that I know is kept safe by the virtue of it being freely available online.

As for trawling through it for one reference try pressing 'control + f' and typing 'McKenzie' Hey presto there it is!

Pete Wells

I suggested this for the EE's but suppose that it applies to the GNs now. I think they'd work best if they supported what is currently going on in the Prog or the Meg. It would have been ideal to have had a 'Mutant Law' GN containing rare tales showing the pros and cons of mutant issues - 'Gripper's Big Day Out', 'The Wall', 'Strange Case of Bill Clinton', etc. This would have added even more impact to the already powerful mutant arc.

If you cast your mind back, this was how the EE's started and it worked really well. We had the brilliant PJ Maybe EE just as the Mayor Ambrose thing kicked off, meaning that we all were reminded of PJ's horrible past just as he returned, it definately piqued my inteest. I know at some point there's an Armitage one coming up as well as a new strip in the Meg, normally I'd probably skip the tale but I think I'll read it if I'm more in tune with what went on in the past. Similarly, even though I'm not that keen, if the Dreddcon one has been re-printed to have something to do with the Lawlords then I'll be more interested in what happens. Dreddwise, I'd be happy to see a collection of Angel of Death or Mrs Gunderson tales to support a bigger strip in the Prog or Meg.

So that's what I'm asking for, a GN that supports a character, issue or theme coming up in either publication. I think if this model was followed then it may appease many readers who don't want 'em.

davidbishop

On the question of Luke Kirby and staff contracts at Fleetway, I went on staff the same day as Alan Mackenzie [April 1, 1992 to be exact]. Alan created and wrote the original scripts for Luke Kirby on a freelance basis long before that date [the mid 1980s, if memory serves].

Now, I can't speak for the contents of his contract, but mine certainly did not include any clauses that retrospectively laid claim to any freelance work I'd done for Fleetway prior to going on staff [e.g. co-creating Armitage with Dave Stone & Sean Phillips].

My Fleetway contract did have a clause laying claim to anything I created for the comic while working in my editorial capacity and I was fine with that, knowing it to be the case when I went on staff.

Obviously, this is merely my experience, Alan's mileage may vary and I wouldn't dream of speaking on this behalf.

davidbishop

Subsplot

Is it just me or is there something not quite right with issuing a legal contract on april the 1st? (Subsplots just proved to him self he's way too cynical.)

satchmo

At some point between next year and the end of time, volume 3 of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is coming out. To coincide with that I'd love to see a Kev O' Neill themed collection, with the sublime Bonjo From Beyond The Stars, Dash Decent, lots of colour covers and annual stuff and rarely seen early bits and bobs. I'd buy two, maybe three :)

Kev Levell

1.) How about some classic colour stuff from the Sci-Fi Specials/Mega-Specials? If they're available...

2.) Jose Casanovas (with and without his son) did quite a few strips in the Annuals (Max normal?) and there was one about a sentient hotel too... a collection of his stuff would be very nice!

3.) [my favourite idea] Glenn Fabry Dredds are very few and could stand collecting, along with his various (Dredd's world) covers/pin-ups. It will need to bolstering with another artist maybe Duncan Fegredo would be a nice match.

Dandontdare

howzabout an Artie Gruber collection, bringing together all the Harlem Heroes & Inferno stories featuriong this fave villain.

Roger Godpleton

I demand a "boob" special fucking yesterday.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Kev Levell

Quote from: "Wils"Daily Star Dredds!
Yup, seconded, great idea.

Were there more of the Metro ones (by Andy Clarke et al) than the reprints that made it into the meg?

fatalfish

Satanist

Quote from: "fatalfish"Metalzoic

Now yer talkin. Though I think there is some kind of wrangle in that its creator/joint owned by DC or some such legal jargon?

Would be a treat to have it collected though.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Grant Goggans

It's DC-owned, meaning Geoff Johns will probably have the Superboy of Earth-Seven rip off Amok's arm and beat up the Star Slammers with it in the summer 2010 crossover.

judda fett

I like Kevlevs Glenn Fabry Dredds idea. Stainless Steel Rat might be nice too.