Main Menu

Space Spinner 2000AD

Started by Steve Green, 19 April, 2017, 09:18:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

sheridan

Quote from: Frank on 20 August, 2019, 09:22:32 PM

Forgot about the weekend one - but he drew Fat City for the dailies.

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred and seventieth episode Fox and Conrad continue their journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with Progs 539-542 of 2000AD, covering September and October 1987. This time we meet the Freaks, Judge Dredd has a rematch, Mean Team get what's coming to them, the Universal Soldier endures, and Johnny Alpha deals with a sorry case!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!
2000 AD recap podcast, from the beginning!
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Lobo Baggins

This one'll annoy you!

As a stereotypical posh tory arse-type, Peter St John almost certainly pronounces his surname as 'Sinjin'.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 26 August, 2019, 09:15:37 AM
This one'll annoy you!

As a stereotypical posh tory arse-type, Peter St John almost certainly pronounces his surname as 'Sinjin'.

What.

WHAT!?

Son of a...
Check out the show here! Or on iTunes, Google Play, or your preferred podcast app!

Lobo Baggins

I don't think Zenith sounds like Rick Astley - he was a rather awkward and shy guy who had an amazing singing voice, Zenith seems more like Stefan Dennis (a soap opera actor given a record contract because that was the fashion of the time) or that bloke in the boxer shorts from that jeans advert. I think Zenith's voice is probably quite low down in the mix.

Hard to believe you're finished with Mean Team already - that seemed to drag on for a lot longer when it was in the prog at the time.
The wages of sin are death, but the hours are good and the perks are fantastic.

Frank

This one'll annoy you!

True, although I always say Saint John, since trying to make everyone pronounce it any other way is a weird reification of the mind control of the aristocracy. See also Ralph/Rafe Fiennes:

https://youtu.be/fH-sOS3QMqY

sheridan

Quote from: Lobo Baggins on 26 August, 2019, 10:49:36 AM
I don't think Zenith sounds like Rick Astley - he was a rather awkward and shy guy who had an amazing singing voice, Zenith seems more like Stefan Dennis (a soap opera actor given a record contract because that was the fashion of the time) or that bloke in the boxer shorts from that jeans advert. I think Zenith's voice is probably quite low down in the mix.

Nick Kamen (caught Madonna's eye, IIRC).

Zenith's actual voice would definitely not be uppermost!  I think of him more as a male Kylie though - because later he has that Madchester / slightly more respectable phase once KM got shot of SAW.

sheridan

Quote from: SpaceSpinner2000 on 26 August, 2019, 09:53:24 AM
This one'll annoy you!

What.

WHAT!?

Son of a...

Yeah - it took my knowing somebody called Stjohn (first name, and who most definitely is not an aristo tory type) until I worked out how Peter's name is pronounced!

IronGraham

We're werewolves not swearwolves

Steve Green

Quote from: sheridan on 26 August, 2019, 02:21:38 PM

Zenith's actual voice would definitely not be uppermost!  I think of him more as a male Kylie though - because later he has that Madchester / slightly more respectable phase once KM got shot of SAW.

The McCarthy concepts in the back of the collected editions describe him as a mixture of Morrisey and Nick Kamen.

SpaceSpinner2000

Quote from: IronGraham on 27 August, 2019, 01:10:28 PM
Love the Podcast

Haha, thanks! That's a classic line from the Malak Blood story!

sheridan

Quote from: Steve Green on 27 August, 2019, 01:25:32 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 26 August, 2019, 02:21:38 PM

The McCarthy concepts in the back of the collected editions describe him as a mixture of Morrisey and Nick Kamen.

Thanks Steve - I can see both influences.

SpaceSpinner2000

In our thrilling hundred seventy-first episode we continue our journey through the Galaxy's Greatest Comic with the 1988 2000AD Annual. This is the eleventh 2000AD annual and we're seeing a great combination of new stories and classic thrills in these pages. The highlights of this year's annual include the classic Ro-Busters story Hammerstein's War Memories, vacationing with Torquemada, Judge Anderson's diary, some dirty Strontium Dog work, and some undercover investigations in Mega-City One!

Direct Download
iTunes
Google
Stitcher
Or on your favorite podcast app!

Please let me know what you think of the episode!

Colin YNWA

Oh heavens to murgatrode would you go back to that slow rate. I thought I was all but caught up after the Summer somehow kiboshed by listening... now this...

... or to out it another way. Fantastic keep it up chaps