Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

Been on my watch list for a while, had forgotten about it.

Have you seen I Saw the Devil? That is (from what I understand of The Chaser) similar. I thoroughly enjoyed it anyway and would recommend.

Mikey

Yeah, I Saw the Devil is great too. Think I enjoyed The Chaser more though personally.

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 16 June, 2015, 10:43:59 AM
Really liked Chaser too, saw it in the cinema back when Cineworld did their Tartan Asia seasons.

Wish my local cinema done such things! I had built up a good recommendation list on Amazon for Korean/eastern cinema until I forgot my password and lost it all before I took notes  :-\ I've talked before now about how much I love A Tale of Two Sisters, so I'll recommend Memories of Murder again instead if you haven't seen it.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

JamesC

Society

Bonkers and great fun. It's very of its time (lots of women wearing those weird 80s knickers).
It certainly lived up to the weirdness I remember from watching this film on Moviedrome some time in the early 90s.

My girlfriend said it was the biggest load of rubbish she'd ever seen and that it didn't make sense.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 16 June, 2015, 10:43:59 AM
Really liked Chaser too, saw it in the cinema back when Cineworld did their Tartan Asia seasons. Not sure if they still do those, but used to try and make it to as many as possible when they did and caught some really interesting films as a result.
Don't think so, but I also saw some good stuff during the first couple.
We never really die.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: JamesC on 16 June, 2015, 12:45:28 PM
Society

Bonkers and great fun. It's very of its time (lots of women wearing those weird 80s knickers).
It certainly lived up to the weirdness I remember from watching this film on Moviedrome some time in the early 90s.

My girlfriend said it was the biggest load of rubbish she'd ever seen and that it didn't make sense.
Best bit?

"Your right son! I really am a butt hole!"

radiator

The more I've thought about it, the more Jurassic World reminds me of Super 8.

Earnest Amblin homages that get bogged down by heavy-handed, sloppy execution and some OTT cgi effects, and prove just how difficult that magic Spielberg formula is to replicate.

Neither are films I'll ever return to. Let's hope the similarly retro The Force Awakens is better.

Quote"We are not the target audience" isn't a good reason for something that is sloppily written, acted, and paced.

I love Dinosaurs, of course im the target audience, and Jurassic World is quite the turd.

Broadly agree, though I think 'turd' is a little strong. The key thing for me was that the characters just didn't engage me and as a result I didn't feel any tension or care about their fates. Jurassic Park is not an intelligent film per se, but within the confines of the world it presents you believe that all the characters are intelligent people with real motivations - even the obvious dino-fodder like Nedry and Gennaro aren't evil, just cowardly and incompetent. Nearly every main character in the film has their own arc and all serve an important function in the story. When a character dies, it's as a direct result of choices they make, for good or ill*. By contrast there were whole characters in World that felt totally extraneous - Vincent D'Onofrio's ostensible 'villain', the British assistant girl, the owner of the park/part-time helicopter pilot, Chris Pratt's trainer buddy, even to a certain extent the two kids - could be lifted right out of the film and not make much difference to the story, such as it was.

I guess I was supposed to cheer at the ludicrous dino slamdown at the end, that ends with the [spoiler]raptor and T Rex all but fist-bumping[/spoiler], but all I could do was groan. It's a shame that no one can seem to make a sequel to Jurassic Park without it descending into monster-movie schlock. The first one ain't a monster movie, or is at least substantially more than a monster movie.

*Did anyone else think it was downright weird that the [spoiler]British assistant/babysitter[/spoiler] character gets such an extravagant, gleefully ott death scene? Just really odd and unearned from a narrative point of view.

Richmond Clements

*Did anyone else think it was downright weird that the character gets such an extravagant, gleefully ott death scene? Just really odd and unearned from a narrative point of view.

In the Empire Magazine spoiler podcast, the director said that as she was the [spoiler]first woman to die in a JP movie[/spoiler], and that she did not [spoiler]deserve to die[/spoiler], that they just went for it and made it OTT.

SmallBlueThing

Jurassic World

Loved it.  And that love loved it all over again,  but with extra love.  Hugely entertaining,  tense,  amusing and full of spectacle, and easily the most crowd-pleasing since the original. 
I was 22 when JP came out,  so any nostalgia is tempered somewhat.  Though obviously 22 year old me wept like a baby at finally seeing dinosaurs on screen.
The Lost World was hugely disappointing, but JP3 was a taut little monster movie and so probably my personal favourite, before this.
JW reinvents the amazing spectacle of that first JP viewing in spades,  and provides just enough story and character to glue the set pieces together. 
Yeah,  there's some dodgy effects- the raptors in their head harnesses just weren't really there at all- but on every other level it succeeded spectacularly.
Going again with my family on Monday for my birthday, and will live in expectation of future installments. Just brilliant.  After Age of Ultron so disappointed, it was rewarding to go see a film that reminded me why I love this type of thing.

SBT

blackmocco

Chappie. Have to say, I don't understand why it was so hated. I loved it.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Ghost MacRoth

The Sweeney

Thought I'd give it another go, and see if perhaps I was too harsh on it the first time round.  I wasn't.  It's terrible.  Bad camera angles, loose shots, terrible lighting, piss poor design, hammy acting, and a meandering direction that makes me wonder if Nick Love phone the job in.  Considering how good some of his other films are, this truly is a disappointment.
I don't have a drinking problem.  I drink, I get drunk, I fall over.  No problem!

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: blackmocco on 18 June, 2015, 07:00:02 AM
Chappie. Have to say, I don't understand why it was so hated. I loved it.

Loved it too. I did have a lot to say about this one, but now I forget. I thought the robot was brilliant and knew that it would kicked ass if it fought back when it was driven to the slums and left to fend for it self against the native-street-gang . I also thought this was strange that fellow drove him all the way to another place not that much different from place where they were staying and to just teach it a lesson. As it did look like life was hard al over in most places in that part of the country they were in.

That main be worth explain to me.

BTW, did you know that the that the guy known as Ninja (In the film as well as his stage name in real life!) and his girl friend, Yolandi. (In the film as well his partner in real life!) are also some small, but perhaps locally well know rap-duo called Die-Artwood and they also did some of the soundtrack. They do have unique sound, although, I have always found white-rappers more interesting, because, but try not get drawn into their stuff I never paid much attention to the source. Although, did feel compelled to once purchase a Eminem cd, because I was living in a very town back then and one of my works would stop talking about this fellow. Kind like me with Slaine. Anyway, the African accent sounds really odd when not being used by one of their true native. (How else could I say that without sounding racist!)

Anyway, that film left me kind of inspired...the gangs living in ruined warehouse wasn't something I haven't seen in film since the first Robo-Cop film and it's kind of ironic, I'm making that comparison in a film about a law-enforcement robot. That's what I like to sen more of in a Judge -Dredd film.

Tiplodocus

She was Morgan Le Fey in a former life so she probably deserved it.

Clan Tips caught it in IMAX 3D last night and overall it got a reserved thumbs up. My expectations were low but in the end I'm filing it under dumb but fun.  There were plenty of bits I didn't like but I right enjoyed the dinosaur action and that, after all, was my main reason for going. 

The sequels continue to be completely off message from the first, and best, Jurassic Park. "Dinosaurs and man were never meant to be in the mix" but now we have Raptor Bros and all but winking at the camera T-REX. (though to be fair, at least the progression has been there from herding them in JP2, communicating with them in JP3 etc.)

It could certainly do with less characters and better outlines of the ones it does highlight but again, I think that's probably a problem caused by it shifting closer to "disaster movie" territory rather than a JP movie.

But for all it's stupidity, the first appearance of the I-REX is magnificently scary. And that works for me. I just wish it was in a better movie.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

shaolin_monkey

A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night - worst vampire film ever. I can't believe I dozed off towards the end. I've never fallen asleep in a cinema before!!  But it was just so DULL. Lots of shots of individuals staring at things, or looking moody. When things actually happened it was a blessed relief to the tedium. Sadly, things happened rarely.

I've not seen Twilight, so I can't comment if it is worse than that. It has to be though. It has to be.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 20 June, 2015, 11:44:47 AM
A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night - worst vampire film ever. I can't believe I dozed off towards the end. I've never fallen asleep in a cinema before!!  But it was just so DULL. Lots of shots of individuals staring at things, or looking moody. When things actually happened it was a blessed relief to the tedium. Sadly, things happened rarely.

I've not seen Twilight, so I can't comment if it is worse than that. It has to be though. It has to be.

Damn... Just been sent a review copy of this and have been looking forward to watching it!

Just watched a New Zealand comedy horror called Housebound, which is easily one of the best movies I have seen this year. Brilliant stuff.

Professor Bear

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 20 June, 2015, 11:44:47 AMA Girl Walks Home Alone At Night - worst vampire film ever.

It's a black and white feminist western about a skateboarding vampire stalking the residents of an Iranian ghost town.  You were only ever going to love or hate that one.