Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZenArcade

Read some good reviews about Frank, never got to see it. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Daveycandlish

Just watched Bill & Ted's Bogus Journey for the first time in 20 years. Still most excellent!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Buttonman

'The Klansman' - Richard Burton and Lee Marvin - bound to be good. Except they are both pissed throughout and the story about a woman being raped in a Southern state is told in an as offensive way as you can imagine with more racial slurs than BNP rally. Real historical oddity with OJ Simpson as a good guy. Full film on Youtube probably because no one wants to copyright it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSN335YK2zA

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Greg M. on 11 January, 2015, 08:30:40 AM
Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 11 January, 2015, 05:34:06 AM
Interesting stuff..

I confidently predict you will love What We Do in the Shadows - though knowing you, you'll probably spend the film trying to decide which RPG tribe the werewolves are from (Glasswalkers, inevitably) or which clans the main vampires represent.

While that looks interesting, I do prefer to do as you suggest with films unrelated to horror without any Vampires as Werewolves as such.

I used to do this all the time.....

One example I recall is the very first Tomb Raider film with Lara as a Black Fury or Silent Strider or Silver Fang and the villain as a Shadow Lord or Black Spiral Dancer!

Typical   ::)

I watch this film you mentioned if I ever find it on cable. Although I prefer serious horror to this type of slapstick.

von Boom

The brilliant Paddington film!

I was very tempted to stay and watch it a second time, and not just for Nicole Kidman in that white dress.

Goaty

Been watch The Taking of Deborah Logan on Netflix USA, wow that was good! Very creepy!

Spikes

Been having a bit of a Alan Clarke fest - with all the usual suspects; Scum, Made in Britain etc, and looking online, I had completely forgotten about Elephant, from 1989.
Not seen this since it was first screened, so thank you YouTube. A curious, and detached, short film, ostensibly about the troubles in Northern Ireland.

Richmond Clements

Haven't seen Elephant since it aired on TV, but it as stck with me ever since. Be interesting to see it again.

Last movie for me was 2001 in the cinema last night. What an amazing film.

Theblazeuk

War of the Worlds (1953); weirdly religious, stilted, painful acting and old school hollywood 'epic' of ham acting and patriotism. Deeply weird dialogue about England's strategic importance to the Invaders (FROM SPACE) in a cutaway that explores whats going on in the rest of the world.

Shouldn't have shown the crappy looking aliens, also shouldn't have been so bloody religious. When the dialogue goes "The martians will have conquered the world in 6 days at this rate" "The same amount of time it took to create it...." I nearly pissed myself laughing at the somber moment afterwards. It's clearly my reading and not the intent but it seemed like every military and scientific person in that scene was staring uncomfortably at the clearly unhinged nurse who really shouldn't be among the grown-ups. Especially since it was about 5 seconds after a priest got flambed and a nuclear bomb failed to do anything whatsoever to the enemy too.

I suppose you can make the case that the (SPOILERS) Martians dying of the common cold is divinely ordained or at the very least some form of pantheism, on the other hand its a much clearer example of mankind being driven like cattle from their homes and dying en masse, only to be saved by the chaotic force of nature and evolution.

TordelBack

Wells manages to strike a characteristically clever balance about God's role in all this in the book:  after the famous   "..slain, after all man's devices had failed, by the humblest things that God, in his wisdom, has put upon this earth" bit he goes on to explain mankind's part in all this, in what is surely one of the greatest closing thoughts of all:

QuoteThese germs of disease have taken toll of humanity since the beginning of things — taken toll of our prehuman ancestors since life began here. But by virtue of this natural selection of our kind we have developed resisting power. ... By the toll of a billion deaths man has bought his birthright of the earth, and it is his against all comers; it would still be his were the Martians ten times as mighty as they are. For neither do men live nor die in vain.

The boy could write.

Keef Monkey

Watched Frank over the weekend and was totally blown away. A hard one to describe - It's got a lot of laughs, is sometimes hugely uplifting and at others quite crushing. It's also got a lot of humanity and I walked away from it feeling very inspired, it's jumped right up there with my favorite movies and I can see me revisiting it often in the coming years.

Also watched Sightseers, which was certainly not uplifting. Not sure what I expected, and I have a lot of love for darkly comic tales but we were just looking for something funny to watch and it was in the comedy section of Netflix. Sooooo we were a bit taken aback when it turned out to be grim as hell. There's humor in there, but the darker stuff got under our skin more than expected so we didn't find much to chuckle about. It was all just a bit upsetting really. It feels weird saying that, because as I say, nasty horror comedies are a thing I seek out generally, so not sure why this one was so unsettling. Maybe the approach to the violence was just a little too real and felt grimy and horrible...I don't know.

Could have jut been a mood thing, it wasn't what we expected so took us by surprise in a way that didn't sit right. Been thinking about it a lot since, so it's rooted in there which is a sign it's done something right. Odd.

Gladwin

Watched the amazing spider-man 2 on the weekend. It was so bad. Wont be seeing that again. Think it is time for me to re-watch Dredd.

Theblazeuk

ASM2 was so weak. I rarely feel like yelling at the screen but this was an exception.

Sightseers on the other hand, I loved to bits. But then I was well aware what I was getting myself in for...  Outside of Doctor Who don't expect much lightheartedness from Ben Wheatley. Still got to watch A Field in England.

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 19 January, 2015, 01:21:48 PM
Sightseers on the other hand, I loved to bits. But then I was well aware what I was getting myself in for...  Outside of Doctor Who don't expect much lightheartedness from Ben Wheatley. Still got to watch A Field in England.

Yeah I think it really was just a case of the wrong pick for the wrong evening, if I'd known what the tone was like I would have chosen another night for it and probably enjoyed it a whole lot more! Kill List had a similar unsettling effect on me, I think there's just something about his approach to violence that seems a tad too real and gets under the skin. Hard to explain, because as I say gory stuff usually floats my boat, but it got to me in a weird way.

Magnetica

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 17 January, 2015, 06:45:39 PM
Recently bought one of the best motion picture trilogies ever made and have been working my way through it:

Toy Story"

Yes have agree Toy Story is, in my view, just about the best trilogy ever made. Personally I like number 2 the best and think it is just about the best sequel ever - it really builds on the first and takes it further.

I now have two young children and must have seen numbers 1 and 2 about fifty times. Basically if you have to see a film that many times, these are the ones - I enjoy them every time.

The ending of number 3 is truly heart wrenching and wraps up the series really well, but if they were to make another I would happy.