Main Menu

Prog 2144 War Crimes and Retribution

Started by Proudhuff, 10 August, 2019, 02:36:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg M.

Quote from: Frank on 15 August, 2019, 05:55:04 PM

The real excitement of these stories is guessing which member of the supporting cast will rescue Dredd.

"And eventually he was rescued by, oh... let's say Joe Moe."

broodblik

Quote from: Greg M. on 15 August, 2019, 06:30:14 PM
Quote from: Frank on 15 August, 2019, 05:55:04 PM

The real excitement of these stories is guessing which member of the supporting cast will rescue Dredd.

"And eventually he was rescued by, oh... let's say Joe Moe."

A Wobot to the Wescue
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

Y'know what'd be good? If it was Joyce, or Pax, or Lamia, or (best of all) Patsy to the rescue. Then we might be getting somewhere.

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 15 August, 2019, 07:48:44 PM
Y'know what'd be good? If it was Joyce, or Pax, or Lamia, or (best of all) Patsy to the rescue. Then we might be getting somewhere.

I realise this is the point you're making, but those are other writers' characters and Dredd writers tend not to rub each other's rhubarb*.  More likely to be the Black Horse.

* I'm less keen than other readers on the idea of a shared Dreddverse, coordinated by Tharg or bashed into shape during quarterly writer retreats, but I'm not really interested in Dredd anymore, so my opinion doesn't count. Go ahead and rejuve him back to his teens and resurrect the Angel gang again while you're at it.

TordelBack

Sure, an editorially mandated breakfast club might be annoying, but for example Mike writes Joyce as one of Joe's besties (I believe the young folk say 'tribe' now), it seems odd that he's not around when Rob writes him. I'm not suggesting that he loses a limb or anything, but these bubbles intersecting every now and again'd sell the whole thing as a whole thing, no?

Frank

My comic reading experience before 2000ad was The Beano and Oor Wullie, where the reset button was triggered every time Wullie sat on his bucket or Dennis's arse took another slippering. Characters sometimes popped into each other's strips, but that was just a laugh*

Other approaches are valid and, I understand, very popular.

* The idea that stuff happening in one story affects another story still seems a bit extra to me. The furious peddling necessary to make the Stront/Dredd/Robohunter worlds align is energy and time you could spend thinking of something cool for Dredd to do in a story, rather napping.

paddykafka

Quote from: Greg M. on 15 August, 2019, 05:41:39 PM
Quote from: Frank on 15 August, 2019, 05:33:59 PM
Fool. Dredd's slowly worked his neck and upper shoulders free. And that's just one episode.

He didn't even do that himself, Maitland just scraped a bit off by hand!

Woo! Woo! Fnarr! Fnarr

Arkady

Quote from: Frank on 14 August, 2019, 08:07:51 PM

Nothing is wasted

I made the same connection- Goodnight Kiss is one of my all-time favourites. I even asked Mr Williams about it and got this response from Chris Weston:

https://twitter.com/westonfront/status/1162430336070029314?s=19

Darren Stephens

Mmmm, ended up getting this from Smiths, as my sub copy was a no show. Today...no prog again. Anyone else having a similar issue?
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Geoff

Mine arrived this morning ok...
(Sorry to hear yours didn't, I still look forward to getting it even when it's not on form, and at the moment it mostly is)

metcalfecarr

This is the first time in many progs where the cover hasn't worked for me.  Yes it's technically great, and Cliff is a master of the cover but for me it's too clean.  Cliff's bright and shiney style doesn't work for Jaegir.  It's a personal thing, I know, but it's totally misrepresentitive of the strip, and a bad choice of artist by editorial
Dave Metcalfe-Carr

Bolt-01

Nah, think it is a cracking cover. The flames are very eye catching which is sometimes all a new reader needs to be attracted. Dylan Teague may well have gone for a darker pallette of colour but the point of a cover is to catch the eye.

Don't think I've ever heard of Cliff Robinson being described as a 'bad' choice of artist before. Sounds wrong.

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Woolly

Quote from: metcalfecarr on 20 August, 2019, 12:03:26 PM
This is the first time in many progs where the cover hasn't worked for me.  Yes it's technically great, and Cliff is a master of the cover but for me it's too clean.  Cliff's bright and shiney style doesn't work for Jaegir.  It's a personal thing, I know, but it's totally misrepresentitive of the strip, and a bad choice of artist by editorial

Nope, not having that.

As Bolt said, the cover is meant to be eye-catching and exciting. As you say, the Robinson droid always manages this in spades. Yes, his style is nothing like that of the Coleby droid (who's is?), but he's evoking the character and the setting perfectly in my eyes. Must admit, I also love to see another artists interpretation on the cover from time to time, especially when the strip itself has one resident art-droid.

Oddly, when I first saw it, I thought it was by PJ, mainly due to how Atalia has been drawn. Just thought I'd throw that in there.