Main Menu

Stephen Prestwood - R.I.P.

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 22 May, 2016, 07:11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyFoxMachine

Regular artistic collaborator to many many small press ventures perhaps we could put some of his art up here - I'll start with what I said on FB...

He wrote and drew this story for the first Psychedelic Journal about a knight who fails to learn the meaning of life by doggedly pursuing his quest rather than embracing opportunities as he travels through abbreviated time.

Stephen seemed to embrace every single artistic opportunity that came his way, supported every small press anthology and threw himself every art jam - whipping up pieces sometimes in moments. His relentlessness was dizzying. His dedication tremendous. I am honoured I worked with him, and am inspired by his endless fervour to draw more, to take those opportunities that seem frightening and hurl himself towards them,.

That is the meaning of life.

Daveycandlish

It's less than a month since I spoke to him when he said he had a touch of man-flu so might be a while before he started the new episode of Bulldog. He went very quickly.

As tribute, I'll post a few pieces of his work he did for my PARAGON comic, starting with the very first story he illustrated -

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Something Fishy

Very sad news and clearly a very talented man.  RIP.

CrazyFoxMachine

He was a prolific contributor to TAB, the weekly art blog that still runs over on FB. I've compiled an album of every single one of his entries here but I'll put up some of the relevant 2000 AD ones on this thread 'ere:

chris_askham

Stephen really was a powerhouse of creativity. Back in the day of photocopied and stapled small press comics, he ran a zine called Otherside / Flipside (and I think it went under other titles too at various stages). He would get a copy of that comic out bi-monthly, if not monthly, on a regular basis. Very few creators, to this day, can keep that momentum going. He will be missed by many.

Pete Wells

Wow, what a talented guy. I love that Spikes picture and the Mean Machine one is absolutely awesome!

That 'Journey' story is AMAZING and incredibly pertinent. It certainly looks like Stephen didn't make the same mistakes as the Knight.

Sorry for your loss my friends.

Daveycandlish

An astonishing splash page from Battle Ganesh, his first story contribution to PARAGON

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Zarjazzer

I didn't know him but it seems a terrible waste. What an awful year this has been already. My condolences to his family and friends.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

SuperSurfer

Very sad to hear about Stephen passing away. I never met him but I was constantly amazed at how incredibly prolific and creative he was, with never a drop in the quality of his artwork on the Weekly Themed Art Blog.

My thoughts are with his family and friends.

CrazyFoxMachine

I was trawling through my old e-mails from him last night and was reminded of this big collaboration he took part in from the advent calendar waaayyy back in 2011. I believe this was the first time I worked with him, but it's a nice throwback to the collaborative spirit of the fandom!

IAMTHESYSTEM

He did some excellent work both in the Competitions and else where. Another talent gone. RIP Stephen Prestwood.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

locustsofdeath!

Farewell, Stephen.

Stephen was a really neat person, very friendly, very positive. He encouraged me to keep self-publishing every time we talked. Quite a shock when I heard this news. He will be missed.

johnnystress

I missed this news last week and somehow it didn't show up on my facebook feed either. Very sad to hear this. Another board member who I felt I knew due to his ubiquitous presence.

My condolences to his friends and family.

CrazyFoxMachine

Alright chaps - today my full tribute on Down the Tubes was published: http://downthetubes.net/?p=31490

I went hunting for opinions and was not disappointed - the comments below are very worthwhile even if my words above are balls!

Bolt-01

Thanks for doing that CFM- words fail me so often when I try to put things like this into... well, words.