Main Menu

I may get shot for this...

Started by marko10174, 23 April, 2017, 09:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndigoPrime

A gentle reminder that personal insults will not be tolerated on this forum. Play nicely or the admins will lock the thread and give out cooling off periods.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: positronic on 29 April, 2017, 05:13:53 AM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 28 April, 2017, 08:36:14 PM

Is it not really the case that Ron Smith's aesthetic is just not to your liking –perfectly fine– and that Ron's comment on his working method –even when in his own words– is just a modest anecdote rather than a valid criticism of the quality of his craftmanship as evident on the printed page?

What you get in Thrill-Power Overload is a history of 2000 AD the comic....

I know what's in the book but my question was how is an anecdote an objective criticism of Ron's technique in his published work and what criticisms do you actually have of Ron's work that makes you not like his aesthetics? – because apart from a few arguably dodgy character angles I don't think his technical skill and creativity can really be faulted.

terryworld

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 29 April, 2017, 02:43:22 PM
A gentle reminder that personal insults will not be tolerated on this forum. Play nicely or the admins will lock the thread and give out cooling off periods.
My apologies. This thread has made my blood boil. But......
Everybody has a right to their opinion.

Dog Deever

On a marginally more positive note- Apocalypse Dreadnought. Ron's work on this was the only good thing about it, and in glorious colour too. I recall desperately wanting to like it every week because I enjoyed the art. What a pity the actual story was so tediously disappointing, it's a real shame Ron got saddled with a lot of really lame strips late in his career.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

marko10174

Quote from: terryworld on 29 April, 2017, 03:04:21 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 29 April, 2017, 02:43:22 PM
My apologies. This thread has made my blood boil. But......
Everybody has a right to their opinion.
Well apparently not according to you. Judging by your logic, anyone who disagrees with you is a twat.

marko10174

Sorry quoted the wrong person

positronic

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 29 April, 2017, 02:53:44 PM
Quote from: positronic on 29 April, 2017, 05:13:53 AM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 28 April, 2017, 08:36:14 PM

Is it not really the case that Ron Smith's aesthetic is just not to your liking –perfectly fine– and that Ron's comment on his working method –even when in his own words– is just a modest anecdote rather than a valid criticism of the quality of his craftmanship as evident on the printed page?

What you get in Thrill-Power Overload is a history of 2000 AD the comic....

I know what's in the book but my question was how is an anecdote an objective criticism of Ron's technique in his published work and what criticisms do you actually have of Ron's work that makes you not like his aesthetics? – because apart from a few arguably dodgy character angles I don't think his technical skill and creativity can really be faulted.

It's difficult to explain the aesthetics of "less preferred" in so many words, Joe. It's more of a natural 'eye-appeal' thing that resist ratiocination. I think it comes down to something that's less technical in detail, because the whole is more than the sum of it's parts. It would be easier (but far lengthier and more time-consuming) to explain what it is that I preferred about Ezquerra, Bolland, McMahon, Cam Kennedy, et. al., so whatever I tell you here is probably going to sound vague and dodgy.

Partly I think it had to do with how Smith would lay out a story in terms of panels and movement, sizes and positioning of figures, the balance of positive and negative space in the panels, and some of it I think probably had to do with how the inking looked. Another aspect would just be overall design, in instances of some new thing or character appearing in one of Smith's stories that hadn't previously appeared in another story designed by another artist. The biggest aesthetic thing I guess was that his art appeared to me (subjective, I know) to be more 'old-fashioned' (for lack of a more precise term) compared to most of the other regular Dredd artists.

As far as how the extracted quote in TPO from Ron Smith fits with that, it's more in terms of the volume of pages he contributed versus other artists whom I preferred. I guess there could be many other factors involved with the difference in how many pages any particular artist contributed to 2000 AD, like some of them could have been slower because of lack of years' experience, or maybe some had day jobs in addition to their work for 2000 AD. I mean, I can't assume that Ron Smith was forced by economic circumstance to turn out more pages because he was being paid less per page than those other artists whose work I liked better. It would seem that if he had been working in comics longer, and was deemed a reliable supplier of story art, then he ought to have been paid a little better by virtue of both his seniority of service to the company and his record for turning in work by the deadline. But if he had turned in fewer pages, would the overall aesthetics of those pages have risen? Tough to say, but possibly.

Old Tankie

Goaty

Old Tankie

O.K  clever clogs, you explain that post to me. At the end of the day the only people an artist or writer have to please is their editor and publisher.

The Legendary Shark

PositRONic, if you made fewer posts would their overall quality improve?

Tough to say, but possibly.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Smith

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 29 April, 2017, 05:46:00 PM
PositRONic, if you made fewer posts would their overall quality improve?

Tough to say, but possibly.
I hope he packed burn heal for that. :D
On a more serious note,probably best if we all let it go at this point.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Darren Stephens on 29 April, 2017, 01:47:05 PM
Carlos and Ron have given pleasure to so many over the years, this thread seems very.....thoughtless. Just my opinion.
Wot Darren SaId.

TordelBack

Actually, Positronic's logic has its appeal: as someone who has never been satisfied enough with even a single panel of art to consider it finished and submit it for publication and grab all the grubby money I would surely earn, it follows that I am the greatest 2000AD artist of all time. I laugh at all these greedy quitters throwing in the towel and publishing before their art has been perfected in every particular.

Hawkmumbler

Now I like to flog Clint Langley's self insertion-shopped art as much as the next guy, but making an entire thread to bemoan the hard work of someone far more talented than I? I wouldn't have the balls (or the audacity).