Main Menu

We're witnessing the death of the 'real' Judge Dredd

Started by AD2000, 18 July, 2007, 09:50:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AD2000

Garaegman, back in the late 1980s Dredd said "a Judge can break the law if the law deserves to be broken."

Do you still believe that's true?

ming

I'm John Wagner, and so's my wife.

Great thread.  Where's that popcorn image when you need it?

Misanthrope

http://www.homelyscientist.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/popcorn.jpg">
Did you know Christ was a werewolf?

AD2000

For what it's worth, Garagemen correctly predicted what would happen in this week's Dredd:

His comment about the end of last week's Dredd:

"yes, I'm afraid it's another long walk for Joe........ or maybe just a trip out to the mutie facilities in the cursed earth."

How did he know that? There was no clue Dredd would go to the mutie facilities.

He's quite a psychic, this Garageman! Hmm..

TordelBack

Garaegman, back in the late 1980s Dredd said "a Judge can break the law if the law deserves to be broken."

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/wikipedian_protester.png">

AD2000

There you go, Garageman, I've proved you're Wagner! If you're *not* Wagner then you're an editorial droid with access to Wagner's scripts. So which is it?

AD2000

"For what it's worth, Garagemen correctly predicted what would happen in this week's Dredd:

His comment about the end of last week's Dredd:

"yes, I'm afraid it's another long walk for Joe........ or maybe just a trip out to the mutie facilities in the cursed earth."

How did he know that? There was no clue Dredd would go to the mutie facilities.

-------------------------------------------------

Come on then, smarty pants, explain that!!!!!!!!

LOL

Matt Timson

Pffft...

AD2000

In all seriousness, it's impossible for a regular 2k fan to make such a prediction. As I say, there was no clue that Dredd would visit the mutie camp so how could any fan make such an accurate guess? Impossible, wouldn't you say?

See, he's been found out. It's possible Garageman isn't Wagner but part of 2000AD's production team (assistant editor etc) but the way Garageman goes on about Dredd more or less gives the game away. And if anyone is interested, Garageman first appeared after I moaned about Origins. WR Logan said he'd email a post of mine to Wagner but he didn't and then Garageman appears on alt.2000AD and defends Wagner and Origins. Coincidence? I don't think so.

AD2000

"You're fucking mad?"

No, but talking to you doesn't help.

LOL

Bye for now.

WoD

It's not much of a debate to be had here as far as I can see.  Dredd is not simply a facist cop.  He's developed over the many years of the comics in to a much more filled out and rounded character.  The 'Mutant Issue' is something that has been building for large number of years and needs to be resolved as it was starting to make no sense in the current climate of Mega City 1.

And yes, Dredd has shown compassion on many occasions.  

He's a developing character, that has through 'experience' had to amend his ridgid views and the story is better for it; It would not have survived if nothing had changed.

judge dreddd

he is not going on a mutie freedom t-shirt march,he is out arresting law breakers, and the 'no air conditioning' rad vans is within the idea of treating people fairly,muties,citz,perps etc.

i see no real conflict of interest, in many ways he is doing what a 'judge' should do, using his 'judgement' , a judge is not a mere law enforcer, he is, indeed, a 'judge'

the cj was willing to give the mutie relatives 'ambassador' status which i think was a good idea, he should have gone for that

mm,reminds me of that speech in 'merchant of venice' about how justice ( or is it law? ) must be tempered with mercy

...cut and paste time....

The importance of the arduous task Portia had engaged in gave this tender lady courage, and she boldly proceeded in the duty she had undertaken to perform: and first of all she addressed herself to Shylock; and allowing that he had a right by the Venetian law to have the forfeit expressed in the bond, she spoke so sweetly of the noble quality of mercy, as would have softened any heart but the unfeeling Shylock's; saying, that it dropped as the gentle rain from heaven upon the place beneath; and how mercy was a double blessing, it blessed him that gave, and him that received it; and how it became monarchs better than their crowns, being an attribute of God Himself; and that earthly power came nearest to God's, in proportion as mercy tempered justice; and she bid Shylock remember that as we all pray for mercy, that same prayer should teach us to show mercy. Shylock only answered her by desiring to have the penalty forfeited in the bond. 'Is he not able to pay the money?' asked Portia. Bassanio then offered the Jew the payment of the three thousand ducats as many times over as he should desire; which Shylock refusing, and still insisting upon having a pound of Antonio's flesh, Bassanio begged the learned young counsellor would endeavour to wrest the law a little, to save Antonio's life. But Portia gravely answered, that laws once established must never be altered. Shylock hearing Portia say that the law might not be altered, it seemed to him that she was pleading in his favour, and he said: 'A Daniel is come to judgement! O wise young judge, how I do honour you! How much elder are you than your looks!'

so anyways,there you goes, my argument rests before learned council

dreddd
the lawwww

Steve Green

I don't know why I'm bothering.

The cover to the latest prog was posted on the board a couple of weeks back as part of the replay auction.

The first episode said that mutants would be expelled from the city.

It doesn't take a genius to work out that Dredd would be going out to the Cursed Earth from the next line "Law unto the Lawless", and that the cover shown early depicted mutants - in camps - in the Cursed Earth - that Dredd was visiting.

Noisybast

'RAAAAYYYY!
http://www.2000adonline.com/images/icons/nocats.gif">
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!