Main Menu

old gameboy dredd game?

Started by mogzilla, 26 July, 2007, 05:10:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mogzilla

i've been looking at an old dredd game for gameboybased on the dredded film, has anyone had /got it? and more importantly is it any good or at least halfway decent enough to pass the time in hospital?

JayzusB.Christ

Personally i'm not that pushed either way, but i'm just wondering. Was reading old reprints lately, i'd forgotten how much of an unimaginative, ignorant thug he used to be, but it was great fun to have such an outright hooligan as the main character. The way he watched happily as some villagers dragged nest away to kill her; before seeing some financial opportunity and changing his mind.
After his enlightenment or whatever at Anwwn, he became less of a brutal barbarian. it continued well but after the Horned God it all got a bit repetitive and Slaine became a bit of a gimp, moralising about how the Romans were 'the real barbarians', reciting poetry and what have you.
Carnival was nice, a bit of a return to the more interesting days before silly time-travelling and endless formorian battles, though i think the strip may have had its day.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Radbacker

sorry cant help you there, the only handheld Dredd game I remember is the MObile Phone one(though I never played it living in Oz and all).  I think there was a SNES movie game(based on the Alien 3 Engine) that wasn't too bad around the time of the movie so they probably did release a GB one at the same time.

CU Radbacker

Buttonman

Is it this one on eBay?

The Mega-Drive equivalent was great, going far beyond the film with sky-surfers and the Dark Judges but I've no idea how this compares.

Link: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Game-Boy-Col-Adv-SP-Game-JUDGE-DREDD_W0QQitemZ330150249146QQihZ014QQcategoryZ112716QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">Dreddful?

Bico

The Snes version of the movie-game run through a PSP homebrew emulator is probably the closest you'll get, but even then there's no guarantee the emulator won't be rubbish or cause your PSP to explode, filling your face full of shrapnel and killing nearby orphans, as they're usually made for the amusement of a few individuals, and not done with a wide release to the public in mind.
There's an official Sony homebrew thingy in the works, although it might be up and running already for all I know.

test 4 echo

I've got a copy of that one, it's dire. Repeatative left/right & up/down ladders rescue a few people chained to walls (spot on with the Alien engine comment Radbacker). I think it was the lack of level codes that made me give it up. Seem to remember having to re-start from the very beginning every time you play.

Not a lot of fun, one for the Dredd completist only. If you can hang on a few weeks I'll send you my copy.

mogzilla

cheers,might take you up on that offer.

i only require something to relieve the monotony of regular check ups at hospital that last at least three hours...i have tried to make the paper last that long but it cannot be done.

ThryllSeekyr

Bart Oliver

Saw this thread and dug out the SNES emulator and ROMs.

The Dredd game stands up well enough as far as ten year old platform shooters go with (IMO) more in common with the original Melbourne House C64 title than the film which is no bad thing.

As for making the game portable, I've read recently that there's emulator software kicking about that'll run yer ROMs on a PDA.

You just have to own one in the first place.
Obviously you're not a golfer.