Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M.I.K.

He had absolutely sod all to do with it, aside from serving as the inspiration for multiple elements of its look and storyline, right down to that logo font.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: M.I.K. on 16 November, 2023, 10:46:03 AMright down to that logo font.

Benguiat, font-watchers! (ITC Benguiat Bold, if you want to be picky...  :) )
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Barrington Boots

Pretty sure I read that Stranger Things grew out of a rejected pitch the Duffer brothers made for IT.

The series has always been very blatant about its influences - It, Aliens, NoES etc - but the first series is especially King-tastic.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Dandontdare

Funt Solo

Ladies In Black - Oz-set 50's coming of age story, sort of, with a strong cast. Feminist. Feel good. Felt good.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Jim_Campbell

Just watched The Marvels.

It's great. Honestly — it won't change your life or anything, but it's thoroughly entertaining for its (engagingly compact) 1hr45min running time. I mean, if you absolutely hated the Ms Marvel TV show (and there's no help for you if you did) then this isn't the movie for you... but this film is smart, kind of sweet, and very funny.

Honestly... ditch any baggage that you might have picked up from Teh Interwebs on this, and you'll have a really good time with this film. Go see it, and know that your ticket money has annoyed the neck-beard incels podcasting from their mothers' basements. :)

(Also: stay for the mid-credit scene. It's only about three minutes into the credits, and I promise you'll be glad you did...!)
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Marbles

Thumbs up for The Killer on Netflix
Remember - dry hair is for squids

pictsy

Watched Bloodsport.  Another film I watched a number of times as kid but never revisited since.  It's okay as an action film.  Lots of clunky deliveries, silly story - what's that?  It's based on true events?  Hahahaha, I don't remember that part, but no.  That's preposterous.  Soooo, I did a little post movie research and it being based on a fraud is my favourite thing about the film now.

I don't remember watching any other JCVD films as a kid, so it's possibly time to move on.

Colin YNWA

Just finished Punk Samurai and... well wow that was something... I mean something I even pretend to understand... well once the monkey come in. I mean sure before that the Bellyshakers where kinda weird but that was kinda there thing. Once the monkey's come in is when it goes really ... curious.

Its hilarious and it knows it. The last third makes not a jot of sense and it doesn't really matter. Its like nothing I've seen before and for that it is well worth it.

Barrington Boots

Quote from: pictsy on 21 November, 2023, 08:57:30 AMWatched Bloodsport.  Another film I watched a number of times as kid but never revisited since.  It's okay as an action film.  Lots of clunky deliveries, silly story - what's that?  It's based on true events?  Hahahaha, I don't remember that part, but no.  That's preposterous.  Soooo, I did a little post movie research and it being based on a fraud is my favourite thing about the film now.

Bloodsport is an absolute Marvel. Its riddled with continuity errors - I think at one point a guy is seen cheering a fight he is actually in - and the acting in it is so abysmal it crosses the event horizon and becomes fun - JCVD is one of the better actors in it which says a lot. One of my favourites is the Filipino guy who is supposedly an arab. Or the OK USA guy. Or the kid that plays young Frank and can barely speak English.

The best thing about it though is 100% what an absolute bullshitter Frank Dux is and I'd urge anyone who doesn't know about him to read up on him because he is hilarious. From claiming he won underground fighting tournaments so secret nobody else in the world knows about them to saying he gave away all his prizes to pirates to secure the rescue of orphans, the bloke is a world class fantasist.

This is the film that kickstarted our JCVD marathon. Although objectively very bad it's got some charm that makes it better than a lot of his other films like Cyborg (boring) Sudden Death (cruel) or Hard Target (humourless and mainly boring). Kickboxer in places is superb, but (as with a lot of 80s films) there's a nasty sexual assualt bit that sours it. If you've seen Bloodsport and Universal Soldier you've done the best of his early ones ones I'd think although Lionheart / AWOL is good as is Double Impact. 
You're a dark horse, Boots.

pictsy

Quote from: Barrington Boots on 28 November, 2023, 10:12:19 AMBloodsport is an absolute Marvel. Its riddled with continuity errors - I think at one point a guy is seen cheering a fight he is actually in - and the acting in it is so abysmal it crosses the event horizon and becomes fun - JCVD is one of the better actors in it which says a lot. One of my favourites is the Filipino guy who is supposedly an arab. Or the OK USA guy. Or the kid that plays young Frank and can barely speak English.

The best thing about it though is 100% what an absolute bullshitter Frank Dux is and I'd urge anyone who doesn't know about him to read up on him because he is hilarious. From claiming he won underground fighting tournaments so secret nobody else in the world knows about them to saying he gave away all his prizes to pirates to secure the rescue of orphans, the bloke is a world class fantasist.

This is the film that kickstarted our JCVD marathon. Although objectively very bad it's got some charm that makes it better than a lot of his other films like Cyborg (boring) Sudden Death (cruel) or Hard Target (humourless and mainly boring). Kickboxer in places is superb, but (as with a lot of 80s films) there's a nasty sexual assualt bit that sours it. If you've seen Bloodsport and Universal Soldier you've done the best of his early ones ones I'd think although Lionheart / AWOL is good as is Double Impact.

I didn't mind Time Cop.  That one was fine.  Nothing especially remarkable or egregious - just okay.

I despise Kickboxer.  The way it handles rape is revolting.  Thinking about it makes me angry to this day. 

I moved on from JCVD films.  Watched The One.  It's fine, I guess.  A short film and it feels like it.  The only real fun to be had with it is Jason Statham's attempt at an accent.  What accent, I do not know.  It's not even consistent.

Maybe I'll watch Ghost's of Mars this coming movie night.  Haven't seen it in a while and it's been on my mind lately.

Marbles

Saw Napoleon. Really didn't like it. If it's not historically accurate then at least make it entertaining, but it's not even that. Dire.
Remember - dry hair is for squids

GoGilesGo

Quote from: Marbles on 28 November, 2023, 02:29:30 PMSaw Napoleon. Really didn't like it. If it's not historically accurate then at least make it entertaining, but it's not even that. Dire.

I think the problem with the film was the scale was just too big. Ridley Scott tried to tell Napoleon's whole life story from young gunner up to his final exile; he really needed to pull it back and focus.

It managed to be both flabby & boring but at the same time crammed with too much detail. As if a lazy 13 year old wrote the script: Pharaohs? Cool. Trafalgar? Never heard of it.

And so many moments are presented with no context. Robespierre turns up for a while, never introduced or contextualised. Then later in the film, after Napoleon returns from exile, the Bourbon King is back in power but again with no context or introduction. Just some corpulent geezer scoffing breakfast being addressed as 'Your Majesty'. Who? How? When? Never explained.

Perhaps the most visually impressive sequence takes place in Egypt but it's so short and pointless (and once again, presented without context) it comes across as merely confusing.

There was definitely a good movie in there somewhere, but the film on release is not it.

Hawkmumbler

I'm putting myself at risk of being called a contrary sod again but I absolutely fucking loved Scotts NAPOLEON.

Dripping in the anachronistic eccentric pomposity of his current works (loved both House of Gucci and The Last Duel so the mans really on a roll in my books), it plays out like an absurdist melodrama of historical events and it's all very fun to get swept up in.

edgeworthy

Quote from: M.I.K. on 16 November, 2023, 10:46:03 AMHe had absolutely sod all to do with it, aside from serving as the inspiration for multiple elements of its look and storyline, right down to that logo font.
Quote from: Barrington Boots on 16 November, 2023, 11:10:32 AMPretty sure I read that Stranger Things grew out of a rejected pitch the Duffer brothers made for IT.

The series has always been very blatant about its influences - It, Aliens, NoES etc - but the first series is especially King-tastic.
Its not impossible that he had something to do with it. And simply doesn't remember?

Apparently he was so out of his head on mind altering substances that he didn't even realise he had written Cujo until his publisher told him about it!