Main Menu

Single page of Spider-Man comic sells for over $3.3m

Started by rogue69, 14 January, 2022, 08:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogue69

A single comic book page from a 1984 issue of Spider-Man - which was sold as the debut of the now-iconic black costume - has been sold at auction for $3.36m (£2.5m). The work was drawn by Mike Zeck and featured on page 25 of Marvel Comics' Secret Wars no 8. The artwork was sold at auction in Dallas, Texas, for more than ten times its original opening bid.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-60002289?fbclid=IwAR1WD3U8k4Ncv55AAqCmU_QaScQdppvSAaMx_9pwpf-CkCbuScfV3TZ7UWY

Trooper McFad

I know they paid for the  "significance" of the page but personally it's very "simple" looking . If I was splashing out 3 million I'd want something  a bit more substantial as well as significant.

And I know the industry needs to rush out for deadlines but I think we have been spoilt from the early days with the talented the art droids gracing the tooth pages of detailed images.
Imagine how many pages of quality detailed prog pages you could get for 3 Mill !
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

Dandontdare

That's just a tad under the $3.6m paid last year for a near mint copy of Spider-Man's first appearance, overtaking Superman's record.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/sep/10/spider-man-beats-superman-in-record-36m-comic-sale

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I'm still not sure as to why this particular page. Secret Wars #8 was released in August 1984- Spidey's black costume debuted in ASM #252, seven months earlier.

SBT

Colin YNWA

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 15 January, 2022, 08:50:37 AM
I'm still not sure as to why this particular page. Secret Wars #8 was released in August 1984- Spidey's black costume debuted in ASM #252, seven months earlier.

SBT

This one is considered the origin page and first in story chronological appearance. You pay ya money (a heck of a lot!) Ya makes ya choice.

Have to say it's not a particularly great example of Mike Zeck's work either.if

CalHab

The price is  a reflection of inflation, abundant cash among certain groups, and a lack of investments offering returns. The actual artistic merit of the page is largely irrelevant in that context.

But, yes, if someone gave me $3.3m dollars to spend on comic art, I wouldn't be looking at that page.