Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gonk

Nah! It ain't that kind of film. It's just a riotous romp through violence. It pokes fun at films in general methinks. The part where he changes into a woman/hooker and dances on stage was really grotesque. I wouldn't call it surreal, but it's definitely nightmarish. 
coming at a cinema near you soon

Van Dom

Cool. My memory of it could be wrong. Maybe it was the jester character himself who annoyed me, I just know something about it rubbed me up the wrong way.

Since I've signed up for the months free trial of Netflix I'm picking a movie at random every night to watch. I seem to be getting more misses than hits, though I do like the service. It's like a game, in a way, the more you watch, the more you unlock. Every time I log in to it new movies are appearing based on what I just watched the night before. This is somehow strangely rewarding, and compelling! Although since I mostly watch horror and slasher flicks, the list of categories it has created for me now reads like a serial killers shopping list! Last night I got a dud though - The Devil's Tomb. I suppose I should have been tipped off by the fact it starred Cuba Gooding Jr ,but it also had Ron Perlman, Bill Moseley and Ray Winstone so I thought it might be okay. It was pretty poor though, one of those very cheap efforts where the whole thing is set in an underground lab, running around in circles all the time. It was basically an Aliens wannabe but watered down to nothing. Directed by Jason Connery, I'm sure dad Sean can't have been overly impressed!
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Gonk

What probably rubbed you up the wrong way were the Michael Cainesque asides to the camera. People either love or hate this kind of thing; it breaks the illusion of the film and reminds the viewer that we are watching something made up and not reality.

A sadistic dwarf dressed in motley dishing out medieval type punishments will always get my vote.

Maybe your last film seemed like a dud is because you've watched that many on NetFlix they're all starting to look the same to you?

Spikes

Just reworking my way through the Blade Runner 5 disc box set from a couple of years ago.
Tonight will be Disc 2. Dangerous Days - the feature length making of... (three and a half hours long!)
Im hard pressed to think of a better, or more definitive DVD package than this. Brilliant stuff.

locustsofdeath!

Like Van Dom, I've just got NexFlix...I've been watching zombie films, lots and lots of zombie (or infected films, if you prefer, but the scenarios are all the same).

After slogging through a bunch of duds (Quick and the Undead, anyone) I met with a bit of success last night, watching Quarantine 2: Terminal - and finding myself surprised that I liked it. Sure, it wasn't a good movie by any means, but the lead actress had charisma and there were a few tense moments. And the filmmakers abandoned the "documentary" approach, which I've never particularly liked. I always wonder why the hell someone would keep the camera rolling instead of running for his life!

Van Dom

LOD do you have Pontypool? Have you watched it. It's a zombie movie with a difference, very very good. (I thought anyway). Worth a look, mate.
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Third Estate Ned

Whatever you do don't watch I, Zombie: the chronicles of pain. It's possibly the most tedious film involving the murder and eating of innocent friends of the film crew ever recorded. I've seen a fair amount of crap in the search for anything that equals the Romero ilk and, fortunately, this is the only one I've seen featuring a zombie having a wank. Worse still, the outcome of the act is predictable.

Info (if you care): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0210740/

Can anyone tell me how to hyperlink so that you get clickable blue text, rather than pasting and showing the URL?

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Dr. Dog on 07 February, 2012, 08:04:11 PM
Can anyone tell me how to hyperlink so that you get clickable blue text, rather than pasting and showing the URL?

You do it like this.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

HdE

I've wonderd about that for ages! legendary Shark, you are a ... um... a...

A legendary shark?
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Gonk

Film about an evil djinn Ahura Mazda, released in 1997.

Van Dom

Now that one I really enjoyed. Sequels weren't up to much but the original was pretty cool.

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!

Gonk

You like a bit of the black magic, eh? I love the old hammer versions of Dennis Wheatley novels. It reminded me of those in a way.

Noisybast

Finally got round to watching Source Code. Very, very good, I thought.
Looking forward to Duncan Jones' next outing, whatever it turns out to be.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Roger Godpleton

Just finished the last episode of Arrested Development. This has to be the best written television of all time, at least the best plotted.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: Noisybast on 07 February, 2012, 10:05:10 PM
Finally got round to watching Source Code. Very, very good, I thought.
Looking forward to Duncan Jones' next outing, whatever it turns out to be.

Not his preferred choice, a properly mad and crazy Judge Dredd movie with Judge Death and the League of Fatties... more's the pity!
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.