Main Menu

Lack of love for the bundled "floppies"?

Started by sheldipez, 18 December, 2012, 12:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hippynumber1

I love the floppies; more so when it's something I know won't get collected elsewhere - Death Planet, Disaster 1990 and their ilk remind me of simpler times...

Taryn Tailz

I must admit that on the rare occasions that I do purchase the Meg it's usually only because I want the bagged floppie.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Tim Tailz on 18 December, 2012, 09:59:53 PM
I must admit that on the rare occasions that I do purchase the Meg it's usually only because I want the bagged floppie.

Likewise. I don't buy the Meg anymore (endless Tank Girl was the final nail in the coffin for me) but I pick up back issues for the floppies - it's nice to have cheap, complete collections of the likes of Deadlock, Ratfink, Strontium Dogs, etc.
@jamesfeistdraws

oshii

Sorry, not a fan of them, but that's probably because a) I've got a full set of progs so already have everything that turns up in them.  and b) I've got nowhere to put the bloody things

I'd prefer to have the option of buying a floppyless Meg (even at the same price), but I'm obviously in a minority on that.  And as someone else said, if they're the price to pay for the continued existence of the Meg, then fair enough.  (and Pye's covers for Death Planet and Disaster 1990 were great)

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: oshii on 19 December, 2012, 03:28:31 PM

I'd prefer to have the option of buying a floppyless Meg (even at the same price)

Well, no disrespect intended, but you can already do that by simply binning the floppy. You don't have to keep them.

Andy Smart

Quote from: Mattofthespurs on 19 December, 2012, 06:07:49 PM

I'd prefer to have the option of buying a floppyless Meg (even at the same price)

Well, no disrespect intended, but you can already do that by simply binning the floppy. You don't have to keep them.

Personally, I only keep the ones I actually enjoy and chuck any that are a bit ropey.

Dandontdare

but without the "graphic novel" it's a very expensive magazine. The only justification for the regular price hikes is all the free reprint material.

oshii

I never said it made sense....

Can't quite bring myself to throw away something from the House of Tharg.  My house would be a lot tidier if I could

maryanddavid

I like them too, I rarely read them when I get them, but pick them up when im at a loss for something to read, and im usually surprised at how much I enjoyed them.

SmallBlueThing

I run hot and cold on them. On a good month i bemoan that im not able to show my support for the brand by giving tharg cash for the same material between marginally more rigid covers. On a bad month i just dont read them and pack them away. Im not sure how long-term my storage of them will be as the paperstock seems so flimsy it bubbles if there's moisture in the air even. I have a feeling that given a wifely ultimatum, they'd be first to go.

However, if it adds to the perceived value of The Meg, encourages newer readers than myself, and keeps it on the shelves, I'll happily keep stacking them. One day they'll get The Meg exactly right for me (closest: back when it had a spine) and it will last two perfect issues before being cancelled and crumbling to dust, as everything perfect in my life seems to do. And then I will cry. But until then, whatever it takes to keep it around is fine by me.

SBT

Dandontdare

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 19 December, 2012, 11:46:34 PMIm not sure how long-term my storage of them will be as the paperstock seems so flimsy it bubbles if there's moisture in the air even.

yeah what's that all about? Where do they even get this freakishly volatile paper-like substance?

SmallBlueThing

Some kind of bakery suppliers, or kitchenware outlet, is my guess.

SBT

James Stacey

I remember reading a copy of the mean machine one in the garden and accidentally leaving it out overnight.. By the morning most of the cover had dissapeared, I assume from dew. Ive never seen such volatile paper before.

Hawkmumbler

I love them, simply they feel like an exstension of the meg for someone like me who has only been reading the prog for a few years. But of cause that just how I see it.

Darren Stephens

Quote from: Tim Tailz on 18 December, 2012, 09:59:53 PM

Likewise. I purchased this months Meg, though, as I'm really feeling the loss of thrills in the gap between the Christmas prog and the start of the new year!  :D
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^