Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomwe

I bought the two Dare HCs in the christmas sale last year and they have sat here unread, handsome books though they are. I also have the Mazeworld tp.

So: one book for Mazeworld, three for Dare?

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Tomwe on 07 December, 2022, 10:04:42 AM
Other comments mean Outlaw won't be included... nor will Big Dave, Maniac 5, Really & Truly, Bad Company or The Order.

Er... good? Bit of a shame not to get a volume to round out The Order, but is anyone really gagging for those others* to stink up the collection?

*Obviously Bad Company in its prime is amazing, but we've already had the good stuff included.
@jamesfeistdraws

IndigoPrime

Mm. not doing more of The Order is a pity, not least given that it's concluding. Giving people a complete run in the UC would have been a nice thing to do, even though I personally don't care for the story that much.

Those other decisions strike me as a positive. The Summer Offensive strips were mostly garbage, and some are mired in rights issues anyway. As for Outlaw, it's been a long time since I read that strip, but I don't recall it firing me up at the time.

Mazeworld seems a sensible inclusion. It's a good strip. Dan Dare is a surprise, given that DDC will presumably need to give permission, and I imagine would want a cut. I'd hope the back matter might address what would have happened next. (That said, I won't buy any of those, since I'm happy with my Dare HCs and whatever Mazeworld book I have already – a SC, I think, but I don't feel compelled to 'upgrade'.)

The Monarch

huh weird mazeworlds creator owned i guess creator owned series may not be as off the table as we thought

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: The Monarch on 07 December, 2022, 11:39:44 AM
huh weird mazeworlds creator owned i guess creator owned series may not be as off the table as we thought

Button Man would be amazing.
@jamesfeistdraws

sintec

Previous statements that creator owned material was off the table meant I've picked up quite a lot of that stuff from Rebellion over the last couple of years not hugely excited that's now getting included. I mean they're definitely all deserving of inclusion, probably more so than some other strips, I just don't need 2 copies of them. I see a book sale thread somewhere in my future.

Quote from: Tomwe on 07 December, 2022, 10:10:16 AM
I bought the two Dare HCs in the christmas sale last year and they have sat here unread, handsome books though they are. I also have the Mazeworld tp.

So: one book for Mazeworld, three for Dare?

One book is definitely all that's needed for Mazeworld. How many books they need for Dare really depends how much of the annual material they decide to include. They could probably squeeze it into 2 if they just focus on the prog strips. I seem to recall the annual stories being fairly ropey when I read the 2 Rebellion HCs a while back so wouldn't be upset if they're not reprinted here too.

Max Headroom

Disappointed 'The Order' and 'Bad Company' seem not to be in the running (perhaps if there is enough clamour for their inclusion they might reconsider?) A 'Mazeworld' hardcover would be nice. As for 'Dan Dare'; the two Rebellion editions are handsome, but they forgot one story (from the 2000ad Annual 1980).

Swerty

So that's
Dan Dare
Mazeworld
Zenith
Armoured Gideon

sintec

Quote from: Swerty on 07 December, 2022, 01:51:57 PM
So that's
Dan Dare
Mazeworld
Zenith
Armoured Gideon

Yep depending on how they split DanDare I think that's 6-7 books out of the run, DD and Zenith both being at least 2 and Mazeworld and Gideon both being a single vol.

Shakira? Shakara!

Heh. Funnily enough, I took another look in the online sale as there were still a few I passed on as I'd have been spending close to £200 otherwise. Button Man and Mazeworld were the main ones I was having second thoughts about, and Mazeworld now shows as out of stock. Realise I'm in a minority but pleased and surprised it's being included and getting the hardcover treatment. That and Armoured Gideon are (so far) the only ones in the extension I'm going to be tempted by.

The Monarch

the finn book just contains the rest of finn. not much to write home about

a funny thing though is the backmatter which talks about the artists and i found it funny/kinda sad that the actual artist of the entire preceding book got like two paragraphs while the artists in the first book got the bulk of the page space

sintec

Blackhawk really is a mixed bag. Enjoyed the Tornado stories but the early part of the 2000ad run felt like it was lacking something. Does seem to have picked up again now he's searching for his soul but that's mostly down to the glorious Bellardinelli art.

Jade Falcon

I have just started the soul searching part but funnily enough I feel the same way, the Tornado stories seemed better though the art could be a mixed bag but I don't know how much of that is due to art style and how much is quality of reproduction.
When the truth offends, we lie and lie until we can no longer remember it is even there, but it is still there. Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid. That is how an RBMK reactor core explodes. Lies. - Valery Legasov

Hackenbush

Is there any colour in the Book? I think some  of the Tornado episodes might have has colour centre spreads?

Swerty

Alas the centre spreads are represented in bw