Main Menu

John Constantine to join the Sandman universe

Started by rogue69, 09 July, 2019, 10:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Art

Really loved the issues that we got, excited to see how it ties up, and a damn shame we're not getting more because I'd totally read a 60 issue run of it.

CalHab

Simon Spurrier is understandably upset about this (and some other jobs falling through):
https://www.simonspurrier.com/blog/hellblazertheend

Richard

That's a hell of a read. Poor guy. Just based on that I'm going to buy the trade when it comes out.

Colin YNWA

Good piece. I hope he finds something that fires him the way Hellblazer has. I follow a lot of Si's stuff and its a shame none of his creator owned stuff seems to have caught hold. Angelic in particular is much missed. That someone with his talent is feeling the pinch shows how hard it is out there.

Land on your feet Si Spurrier.

CalHab

It looks really shortsighted from DC as I suspect the majority of its target market only read trades.

The monthly was getting better press and word of mouth than any other mainstream comic. I think it suffered because Constantine/Hellblazer has been so badly treated in the past. I didn't start picking it up until #3 because I wrote it off as "another reboot", but it is the best work on the character for over 25 years.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

And the story in #7 and #8 is probably the best Hellblazer since the end of the Delano run/ heyday of Ennis.

It's a appalling turn of events to see the series end before even the first trade has been released. I only hope that the publicity surrounding this leads to huge sales of the first trade and a hasty rethink at DC.

SBT

I, Cosh

Yep, I was really enjoying this run. From the first issue it seemed to me like Si had a really good handle on the character. Updated to 2020 but with attitude and tone intact (plus the get-out clause of the different reality framing for anything you don't like.)

Quote from: CalHab on 18 August, 2020, 09:27:11 PM
Simon Spurrier is understandably upset about this (and some other jobs falling through):
https://www.simonspurrier.com/blog/hellblazertheend

Quite something to see a creator being so forthright. I didn't actually realise his run on The Dreaming was over. It seemed like he'd finally carved himself out a little niche there at DC just at the same time as Al Ewing at Marvel.

I routinely buy everything with Spurrier's name on it. If you've not seen it, you should all try out Alienated: Skizz for the TikTok generation if you need a suitable handle.
We never really die.