Main Menu

Marvel obtain rights to Aliens and Predator comics off Dark Horse

Started by Colin YNWA, 02 July, 2020, 04:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Just as they did with Star Wars comics Marvel have now got the rights for comics relating to the Aliens and Predator franchises. I guess this means a couple of things:

• Hopefully Drak Horse will have an insanely good sale when their contract ends as they did with Star Wars

Loads of Marvel characters while fight nasties I guess

Wonder what happens with Dredd vs Alien and Dredd vs. Predator etc etc.

https://bleedingcool.com/comics/marvel-comics-grabs-alien-and-predator-licenses-from-dark-horse/

sheridan

We've never had a Marvel 2000AD production before - maybe that will change in the future...

sheridan

*ha*

I got wondering what crossovers Batman had had with Marvel characters (inspired by the Batman vs Aliens/Predator/Dredd stories in the past) and look what image this article used at the top.

broodblik

So now Aliens/Predator will become part of the Marvel-verse. How boring
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Michael Knight

Wow! What happened? Did they simply outbid Dark Horse over rights renewal?
Does this mean that all former AVP stories are now considered non canon like former Dark Horse Star Wars stories?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Michael Knight on 02 July, 2020, 05:22:17 PM
Wow! What happened? Did they simply outbid Dark Horse over rights renewal?
Does this mean that all former AVP stories are now considered non canon like former Dark Horse Star Wars stories?

Apparently Disney now own Fox, who own Alien  and Predator - that's what I got from the article anyway. So really they've just been waiting for Dark Horse current deal to lapse I guess.

Michael Knight

ah right I didn't know that pal. That probably explains it.

karlos

Just read about this over at CBR, where there's some lovely David Finch promo art:

https://www.cbr.com/marvel-comics-alien-predator-avengers-david-finch-teasers

The various DC crossovers throughout the years were mostly good fun, so here's hoping the inevitable Avengers Vs Alien Vs Predator is on that level.

A little bit of me is sad that Dark Horse have lost the licence, though: they mostly did the franchises right, especially the early minis, which really helped to put DH and, by extension, indie comics, on the map for a lot of people back in the late 80s.

Fond memories of Aliens #1 and Predator #1 coming out.

Sigh. I'm old.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I just feel sorry for Dark Horse: Star Wars, Conan, Aliens, Predator... what next?

Still, at least I suppose this now GUARANTEES a Conan/ Predator face-off- which Dark Horse oddly never did but which Marvel surely wont be able to resist?

SBT

Tjm86

Quote from: sheridan on 02 July, 2020, 05:00:11 PM
We've never had a Marvel 2000AD production before - maybe that will change in the future...

Judge Dredd vs Punisher?

Ulysses Sweet vs Deadpool?

Lobster Random vs Wolverine?

Robo-Hunter vs Iron Man?

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Immortal Hulk vs Zombo?

Spidey in Mega City One?

Sinister Dexter take the hit on Howard The Duck?

SBT

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Jim_Campbell

If, as seems to be the case, Disney are trying to mop up all the existing Fox licenses and get them under the Marvel banner, that would seem to bode ill for BOOM's Buffy and Firefly books. I'll confess to not having read the Buffy stuff, but it's consistently well-reviewed, and the Firefly ongoing is excellent.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Professor Bear

It's a good thing that DH still make Hellboy comics, otherwise they'd be in real trouble right now.

IndigoPrime

Losing Usagi Yojimbo was quite a surprise. (I'm also unconvinced IDW is the right home for that property, but there you go.)