Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Michael Knight on 29 May, 2020, 03:38:14 PM
Thanks a lot for the info guys. Im really enjoying reading the Abnett run. I got into 2000ad in the 90s so I was bit unaware of what came before with the character.
I did enjoy the recent revival in the prog recently. Was this a complete reboot or a continuation of original Strontium dog character? Once again thanks for the info!

I think Worley said it was set after the Second Mutant War (so just after The Life and Death of Johnny Alpha) but of course it's been written in such a way that it doesn't really matter when it's set or what you have/haven't read.
@jamesfeistdraws

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

So I've always pre-ordered my cherrypickings for this collection through Forbidden Planet. Does anyone have any news on FP? Their website and app have been down for days. Orders placed have not been sent out. Customer services are not answering queries. Their social media has not been updated for a couple of days and no questions are being answered. I'm not going to speculate as to why, but the reasons for possible concern are obvious. Would be grateful for any news.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

"Hi all - we're dealing with an issue on our network and we've had to take down our website. Apologies for the radio silence - for now, if you've a specific query regarding an order please email info@forbiddenplanet.com." - FP twitter

Oh, the relief. Tech not virus. And since I'll have to remain 'shielded', it seems, I'd be much happier to bunker down with a complete run of Red Seas for company!

sintec

Started on the Durham Red book last night; the art in The Scarlet Cantos seems really blurry, was wondering if it's a printing error.  It's really hard to tell what's going on in some panels, feels like there's a lack of distinction between foreground and background making it hard to distinguish detail.  Things seem to improve in later stories (I'm about halfway through Vermin Stars now) which is a relief.

This might be the first Abnett thing that's not really gelled with me. Durham was better when she had the contrast of Johnny. With 2 ideological extremists as companions she's left trying to occupy the moral high ground and I'm not sure that's a position that really suits her. The characters also seem lost in the vast space opera Abnett is constructing around them - the art probably doesn't help with that.

Skimmed a few of the Future Shocks too. My speculations had this volume down as being a reprint of The Best Of Tharg's Future Shocks and whilst there is considerable overlap between the two it's far from a straight reprint.  We get a bit more Morrison than that collection (in fact pretty much all his FSs bar Wheels of Fury, not sure why that got excluded) and a bit less Milligan. We also get a few more early FSs which seem to have been chosen for O'Neill and Bolland art and a couple of Millar FSs. The early stuff I read last night is very much of it's time - nothing up to the standard of the Moore book yet.

Bad Andy

Quote from: Michael Knight on 29 May, 2020, 11:31:48 AM
Delighted to receive volumes 71 +72 (Thargs future shocks and Durham red) today.
Was just wondering how much of Duhams Red series will be collected in this part work?

Was there anything of Vector 13 worth reprinting in these collections? I don't really recall.

IndigoPrime

A few of those were good. Not enough for an entire HC, though.

Super Mario

How good is Nikolai Dante. Working my way through volume 7 and it's amazing.

Michael Knight

I wish there was a collected Vector 13. I really enjoyed that series.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Quote from: Michael Knight on 01 June, 2020, 10:21:11 PM

Not an opinion you will find often expressed around here, but one I wholeheartedly support. V13 was a particular highlight of that period, and one for which I have been known to rummage through the boxes and drag out the relevant progs. There arent many strips I will do that for, preferring instead to wait for the inevitable trade or floppy (why do I keep the full run, boxed in the spare room, where it baits my wife? Um...)
However, since there seems to be practically zero chance of a V13 trade, it's up to the likes of you and me to cough from time to time and draw attention to it.

SBT

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 02 June, 2020, 09:01:31 AM
Quote from: Michael Knight on 01 June, 2020, 10:21:11 PM
However, since there seems to be practically zero chance of a V13 trade, it's up to the likes of you and me to cough from time to time and draw attention to it.

I'm a bit surprised it's not at least had a Meg floppy yet.
@jamesfeistdraws

James Stacey

They tried to usurp Tharg in a way Joko Jargo hasn't even thought of yet. No wonder he's grumpy about their largely forgettable contribution

Colin Zeal

The details of the extension are great. First of all I am surprised that it's going ahead in these times. Secondly it is such a brilliant list because it has some titles that deserve a reprint but haven't had it. I am really pleased that The Red Seas is finally getting a collected edition. I assume that my drunken messages to the Haccette  (i don't think that is the correct spelling but sod it) Facebook page saying "please put Red Seas into the series " had some effect.

karlos

What is going on with Hachette?

I emailed them to ask about 2000ad restocks - they replied with "they're all in stock on the website".

Today an order from them arrived. The box was clearly unsealed, no tape, the flaps weren't even pushed in.

One book inside,  the others books are AWOL.

Not a huge problem in the scheme of things,  but it spoils collecting, and i really will only ever use FP again in the future.

leethomson

Quote from: karlos on 03 June, 2020, 02:26:32 PM
What is going on with Hachette?

I emailed them to ask about 2000ad restocks - they replied with "they're all in stock on the website".

Today an order from them arrived. The box was clearly unsealed, no tape, the flaps weren't even pushed in.

One book inside,  the others books are AWOL.

Not a huge problem in the scheme of things,  but it spoils collecting, and i really will only ever use FP again in the future.

I've bought from Hachette as subscriber and non-subscriber and what you describe is the non-subscriber experience to a tee. Small books, big boxes, no packaging, missing items and no recourse. Every time I've cherry-picked from the Judge Dredd or Marvel collections something has gone wrong.

IndigoPrime

I recall when I decided I'd made an error in selling off chunks of the UC and decided to re-buy in-stock items, I also did so at the time I grabbed a bunch of Marvel-era TF books. I ordered something like 20 books across two orders. Each set of ten arrived in a massive cardboard box with no packaging. One of them look like it had been used as a football. Over half the books were badly damaged. They were all replaced, but it beggars belief why a bit more packaging isn't being used. For the sake of 50p of bubble wrap and giving a crap, they could have saved sending out £100 of replacement books.

(I've had issues with other sellers — Wordery for a while had pretty crap packaging on trades. But they actually listened to suggestions and subsequently made changes in the way books were sent out.)