Main Menu

Recent posts

Help! / Re: Rebellion and Rights to Ea...
Last post by karlos - Today at 04:37:01 PM
I asked Pat Mills years ago (because that's how I roll) about reprints of his New Eagle Dan Dare stuff.  Wish I could remember his exact wording but it was basically "it's not happening". I still live in hope, though.

Put me down as someone else who'd love to see The Computer Warrior get a reprint, though.  It was batshit and I loved it.
General / Re: Wrap It Up
Last post by Funt Solo - Today at 03:35:34 PM
18 - Rogue Trooper

All of that Rogue Trooper, and only two wraparounds! And the OG Rogue is relegated to the back cover of a lesser known special. Rectify this malfeasance, Thargnanimous, Bringer of Thrills!

Prog 687's Battlefield Blues (from 1990, by Will Simpson) gives us the OG Fr1day, before it all went a bit Pete Tong.

---

The Rogue Trooper Action Special's Future War (from 1996, by Dave Gibbons) is something of a hydra, with Fr1day rocking the front, and Venus Bluegenes providing covering fire. Poor old OG Rogue is a ghost in the sky. (Recently, in-comic, those three characters had all met, and OG RT had suffered perma-death.) It's a bit like that inside, with two Fr1day tales, one for Venus and a colored reprint of the first RT strip from prog 228.

---

Next: Simons say...
Last post by IndigoPrime - Today at 03:29:15 PM
Yeah. Computer Warrior would be a nightmare now. Even though the games were mostly published by a smallish number of companies (mostly US Gold), the rights for those now would be all over the shop. Not least given that a number of them were arcade conversions owned by companies like Capcom and Sega. And some were film licenses (Ghostbusters; Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade) to further complicate matters.
General / Re: Wrap It Up
Last post by Funt Solo - Today at 03:21:33 PM
That's probably from prog 600's The Power of the Gods - an oddity with six color pages and two in black and white.
Last post by The Monarch - Today at 02:50:24 PM
another strip i would love to see reprinted but i bet thats even more of a legal ballache considering the amount of owners of the original games you would need to deal with as well as the ddc
Website and Forum / Re: List of issues
Last post by Funt Solo - Today at 02:19:16 PM
And back to daily log-ins.
Last post by IndigoPrime - Today at 01:25:42 PM
DDC certainly claims rights. Years ago, I wanted to write a Computer Warriors piece for Retro Gamer. I have a (short) interview with Alan Grant about that somewhere. (At the time, I couldn't get in touch with John Wagner.) My plan was to bulk that out with explanations of some of the stories, which would compare them against the game – and that would mean twinning screen grabs and some artwork. DDC did (eventually) give me the go-ahead to do so, although it did very much seem to be down to who at the time the email landed with.

(A pity that article never went anywhere. I spent quite a bit of time working on bits of it, but it never came together, because I couldn't secure the comics for scanning, and I really felt like I needed a bit of Wagner in the mix too. Oh well.)
General / Re: Forthcoming Thrills - 2024
Last post by Dash Decent - Today at 11:59:51 AM
Quote from: broodblik on 19 April, 2024, 06:18:59 PMFrom 2000AD's X feed:

Coming Soon: a new Judge is hitting the streets of Mega-City One!

Wait... what the sneck?

Facing off against Judge Death, Judge Fear, Judge Mortis, and Judge Stix.
General / Re: Mark Millar interviews Pat...
Last post by AlexF - Today at 11:31:13 AM
This is a genuinely great interview, Mark Millar is one of those enthusiastic chaps who wants to be liked so much he puts people at ease which works well for Pat Mills. Much as I don't love Millar's comics his energy and passion for making popular comics is joyful. Same for Mills, who clearly still wants to find ways to reach a mass audience with whatever kinds of comics he can. He may be a world class moaner but he's also not JUST moaning, he's still following his dreams, too.