Main Menu

Non 2000ad artwork that you own ....

Started by Fatboydale, 20 January, 2013, 07:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wake

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 09 June, 2013, 07:40:36 PMYeah all the more so as back in the original issues it just says art by rather than noting (as I believe is the case) that Brett pencilled and Steve inked. I always used to puzzle over the process as some panel seem so clearly by Steve Dillon and other so definitively Brett Ewins. Over all though it simply looks a triumph.

Brett told me that he did the page layouts and then gave the pages to Steve to pencil (they shared a studio at the time). He then went over the pencils to add his style to some of the elements (I think he mentioned chins specifically). Brett then did the inking to finish the pages himself. This fits with some panels clearly showing Steve's pencils and others looking more like Brett's.

Skullmo

The two styles mesh so well together, which is surprising considering how different they are as artists.

The first I saw of the Dillon/Ewins mix was in the Simply Dying Bad Company story that was done for a charity event.

It's a joke. I was joking.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Wake on 09 June, 2013, 08:53:49 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 09 June, 2013, 07:40:36 PMYeah all the more so as back in the original issues it just says art by rather than noting (as I believe is the case) that Brett pencilled and Steve inked. I always used to puzzle over the process as some panel seem so clearly by Steve Dillon and other so definitively Brett Ewins. Over all though it simply looks a triumph.

Brett told me that he did the page layouts and then gave the pages to Steve to pencil (they shared a studio at the time). He then went over the pencils to add his style to some of the elements (I think he mentioned chins specifically). Brett then did the inking to finish the pages himself. This fits with some panels clearly showing Steve's pencils and others looking more like Brett's.

Arh now that's a much more satisfying explanation than the sites that list the credits as I state them. It really explains why their styles are so wonderfully intertwined.

Call-Me-Kenneth

Here's a couple of pages from the late, great Martin Emond. He never did all that much for 2000AD, his brilliant Chopper one-off 'Dead Man's Curve' and a couple of pinups are the only things I can think of. I can only imagine what his take on certain characters would have been like...

These are from my favourite comic of his the seminal 'White Trash' with Gordon Rennie.

Link Prime

Very nice Kenneth.
I really loved Emonds 'Dead Man's Curve' too (I've often contemplated building a throne out of beer cans since).

Call-Me-Kenneth

Quote from: Link Prime on 10 June, 2013, 12:23:09 PM
Very nice Kenneth.
I really loved Emonds 'Dead Man's Curve' too (I've often contemplated building a throne out of beer cans since).
I've considered it too, but as they would be empty in about 2 hours I don't think it would support me....!

I met Garth Ennis at a preacher signing in Dublin and got him to sign that issue for me, he told me that, although he knows nothing about art, he reckoned '...that one turned out really nice'.

I agree.

Link Prime

If that signing was in the 90's I may have been in the Q behind you!

Call-Me-Kenneth

:lol: I think I was the only person to get him to sign that conic in fairness!!

Good to see there's a couple of Irish collector's knocking about, I'm in Shankill, just down the road from you presumably!!

Link Prime

Quote from: Call-Me-Kenneth on 11 June, 2013, 11:50:52 AM
:lol: I think I was the only person to get him to sign that conic in fairness!!

Good to see there's a couple of Irish collector's knocking about, I'm in Shankill, just down the road from you presumably!!

You are indeed!

Hope to see you at DICE this September...we can compare 2000AD sketches

Fatboydale

Excalibur issue 42 pg 9 ...just for Link

and a crappy Batman from Full Circle pg 9 ( only kidding a great page )

Colin YNWA

Oh that Excalibur page is almost perfect... in fact it might just be the perfect Excalibur page...

Link Prime

Quote from: Fatboydale on 14 June, 2013, 10:40:57 AM
Excalibur issue 42 pg 9 ...just for Link

If it was legal to marry a piece of paper, I'd be down on one knee right now!

Simon Beigh

Right then - it's off in the car soon to collect my latest acquisition by Mr B. Bolland  :D

Firstly, I'm posting it here so it's not a 2000AD piece.

Secondly, I still own a car, both kidneys and am not living in the shed, so it's not Batman either.

I shall post a picture upon my return...

Eme

i dont suppose anyone here has anything from childrens UK comics from the 70's-80's ?  Whoopee etc.. ? Im after a certain artist/story combo.

Spikes

Quote from: SimeonB on 15 June, 2013, 07:32:03 AM
Right then - it's off in the car soon to collect my latest acquisition by Mr B. Bolland  :D

Firstly, I'm posting it here so it's not a 2000AD piece.

Secondly, I still own a car, both kidneys and am not living in the shed, so it's not Batman either.

I shall post a picture upon my return...

A Bolland piece? Blimey.....
Ill look forward to seeing what you post up. (and your most definitely addicted now, SB!)