Main Menu

Adobe: WTF?

Started by Jim_Campbell, 02 February, 2011, 10:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HdE

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 20 March, 2011, 08:15:23 PM

At this point, it says pretty much everything you need to know about Adobe when making the most basic operation you might want to perform in Photoshop run smoothly isn't a priority for them.

Preach it, brotha!

I've had the exact same frustration lately. I've been using Photoshop to prepare prints or sale, and having the documents open at final print resolution, even basic clean-up work is a real chore.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Matt Timson

PS 7 was the last great lag-free drawing tool.  Sadly, Snow Leopard won't run it.
Pffft...

radiator

I'm trying to draw something in Illustrator atm and I'm close to suicidal - can anyone tell me why, when I scroll (holding down spacebar to use the hand tool) it's giving me quite a lot of drag/resistance and often just refuses to scroll at all?

Also: why when I draw a new shape, Illustrator always insists of shoving it right to the top of the layer stack, even if I am working at the bottom, and am trying to draw 'underneath' something?

SuperSurfer

Upgraded from CS2 to CS5. About time.

For last few years I was using Adobe CS2 on a Mac Pro so it was running with Rosetta – not ideal as CS2 was made for PowerPC Macs. In other words my computer was too new for the programs.

I was looking forward to some of the CS5 Photoshop functions such as the ability to see pixels when zooming in and in particular the rotate view tool which allows for easy swivelling of an image – very handy for drawing curves.

Need to bloody upgrade my video card though – my Mac is now too old for the new programs!

Matt Timson

Pffft...

Banners

Exporting from InDesign to PDF (ie. the whole point of the program) should be less like Russian Roulette but work every time, rather than requiring Task Manager to kill it and try again.

John Caliber

I've never had problems with Adobe InDesign Export to PDF - I'm using it to create my CITY OF DREDD paperback, and have used it for years for my RPG fanzines. Windows has never flagged it, and the only times the Export function fails is when I've botched something during preflight. Not that I'm suggesting it doesn't go cock-eyed for other designers.
Author of CITY OF DREDD and WORLDS OF DREDD. https://www.facebook.com/groups/300109720054510/

Banners

I think it's when I export from CS5 a design that was originally created in CS3. It pretty much happens every other time I try to export.

For example, I'm working on a concert brochure at the moment, which is essentially a revamp of last year's design, just with new details, and which was created in CS3 before we upgraded. This is happening all the time.

Either it's that, or InDesign senses when I'm in a rush and has a nasty side...(!)

Jim_Campbell

Gah! What's with Illustrator's inability to understand a relative link? If I have a Project A folder, inside which I have a Pages folder and an Artwork folder, why do all the links to the artwork break when I rename Project A, or copy the entire parent directory to a different drive? The artwork is in the same place relative to the pages. Quark gets this, InDesign gets it, but Illustrator...? No. You have to update the links manually.

Admittedly, you can highlight all the files, open them and click the 'Apply to all' option when asked to update the first link, which will automatically update the rest of the files as they open, but Illustrator lacks a 'Save All' option, meaning that even if you use CMD-ALT-W (close all open windows in the application) you have to sit there and manually click through the "Do you want to save" dialogue for every single window.

Load of old toss.

Bah!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

HdE

Jim, you have no idea how reassuring this thread is.

I get that problem with links all the time. It's weird - sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't.

What is it with Illustrator's abitrary bugs? I have frequent problems with exported files not coming out properly. Speech bubbles go missing when their overprint settings are correct. Strokes sometimes go missing. Yet, when I export the file again, it fixes the problem.

Eh??
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Jim_Campbell

Oh. My. God. InDesign CS5.5 isn't backwards-compatible to CS5?

Bad enough that you made CS5 incapable of saving to any previous version of InDesign, but you broke backwards compatibility to all previous versions on a point update? There is no justification for this, other than forcing all customers to constantly maintain their versions of InDesign at the latest and greatest version.

Somebody has to file some kind of lawsuit against Adobe for anti-competitive practise soon, surely?

Jim

Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Matt Timson

I am personally sick of Adobe.  Being a Mac user, I'd love Apple to release something that really rivals the likes of Photoshop, Illustrator and all the rest- and give Adobe a proper puddling.

That is all.
Pffft...

chilipenguin

Can anyone suggest a reason why the Space+Hand scroll function has switched off in PS and Illustrator? It is really starting to bug me now...

Banners

Kasperksky report that the top three vulnerabilities detected on users' computers are all Adobe's. In all, they have five in the top ten.

Banners

Just found out that with the release of CS6 - no doubt coming in 2012 - Adobe will be abandoning the ability to upgrade from three versions back ie. CS3. Rather, to qualify for a discounted upgrade price, you will need to be on CS5.x.

As someone running on the three-version upgrade cycle, this is a huge shame. However, Adobe is running a 20%-off promo until 31/12 which you can use to get up to the current versions.