Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

QuoteTalking about comedies that everyone els loves but you just don't get, why do people like The Hangover so much? It's honestly one of the worst films I've ever seen.

You're certainly not alone.  All it did was annoy me more and more with each dull humourless scene.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 11 September, 2013, 06:59:14 PM
Talking about comedies that everyone els loves but you just don't get, why do people like The Hangover so much? It's honestly one of the worst films I've ever seen.

To echo what the Bear said: I watched this unsure as to whether it was a comedy or not - then when the rapist appeared on screen I realised it wasn't.

Goaty

Hawkmumbler

Oh, I forgot Project X.no, not the one with the monkey! An awful "lost footage" film with obscene "comedy". Easily the worst film I've ever seen.

pictsy

Quote from: JamesC on 11 September, 2013, 06:27:34 PM
Quote from: pictsy on 11 September, 2013, 05:58:29 PM
I watched Caddyshack for the first time within the last year off the back of it being a classic comedy film.  I really didn't see the appeal.  It didn't make me laugh once.

I never found it funny either. Same thing with Animal House.

Yeah, I found Animal House disappointing as well.

Frank

You know how if you watch a comedy film from the olden days, there'll be some stuff which you can tell might have been funny in the context of the time - maybe it relies on you already being familiar with a comedian's comic persona and catchphrase, or maybe the comic potential of a situation depends on an aspect of society (such as the class system and social hierarchy) which no longer resonates today?

That's how I felt watching The Hangover. I'm sure it was a laugh riot somewhere at sometime, just not my house a few years ago.

NapalmKev

Quote from: pictsy on 11 September, 2013, 08:08:34 PM
I watched Caddyshack for the first time within the last year off the back of it being a classic comedy film.  I really didn't see the appeal.  It didn't make me laugh once.

Caddyshack is a pile of shite, but I have to confess to seeing Animal House many times. I think it's hilarious.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Dandontdare

Quote from: pictsy on 11 September, 2013, 08:08:34 PM

I think if you find something funny when you're a teenager, you always find it funny. Caddyshack has it's moments, but also has associations with a very happy time, and I still laugh when it comes on.

And I won't hear a word said against Animal House!

pictsy

Quote from: Dandontdare on 11 September, 2013, 08:25:28 PM

I think if you find something funny when you're a teenager, you always find it funny. Caddyshack has it's moments, but also has associations with a very happy time, and I still laugh when it comes on.

And I won't hear a word said against Animal House!

I saw Animal House first when I was a teenager.  I can't say I was amazed by it at the time, either.

There are loads of things that I found hilarious as a teenager that I think are total rubbish now.  I think the things I have positive associations with have an easier time carving out a home in my heart.

I don't regret watching Animal House because it is culturally iconic and worth a watch on that basis alone.  Caddyshack is probably less so - at the very least I wasn't aware of Caddyshack beyond a couple of years ago.  It was interesting to see an early Bill Murray role.

Charlie boy

Insidious
And I really wish I hadn't. I found it so bad I'm actually struggling to even write about it here. Basically, I taped it to watch with a friend who is usually great fun to watch any horror/gore film with (even when the film is really bad- say part 34 of the Saw franchise or something- I can enjoy it by turning to look at her and her face of quiet disgust or something and chuckle). With this offering, she actually turned to me at one point to say "This is really boring", and she had a valid point. It's difficult to think of a single original moment, because everything just seems to have been lifted from something else. They insist of focusing the camera on something for ages, clearly disagreeing with the whole "less is more" angle. You see the supposed twist coming a mile off. And Darth Maul is useless as one of the key threats in the film.
I'm betting if I were to look for the DVD, it'll say on the cover how somebody described this as being the scariest film EVER. And that looks to be how it is; bad horror films being released and seriously using somebody's claim it's the scariest film ever. This was made 2010 so- say one big horror film a year- I'm guessing it's now (supposedly) the 3rd scariest film ever until Insidious 2 hits the cinemas and then Insidious will be the fourth scariest film ever as the sequel takes the top spot. I have no desire to make my way through this list.

Tiplodocus

"Hangover" - I'll have to concede because I can't remember much about it.

But Animal House? Your mouths are full of wrong!  (Again, it might be a culture thing and it was ground breaking at the time but looks like a children's TV programme these days).
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

ThryllSeekyr

Within the last week I have just watched Spartacus: War of the Damned!

[spoiler]It was sad that Crixus is mortally wounded by a thrown spear. Where he is forced to kneel and is then beheaded by Tiberious Crassus (This actually happens at the end of the third last episode! Tiberious gets fatally stabbed by his father's lover (I don't know her name!) whom he had previously dominated and raped!)) as his lover watches from a similer position. They let her live, so she can return to the others. Where she (I forget her name!) is later fatally stabbed through the collar bone in the final battle! Gannicus is defeated by Julius Ceasar (Who goes on to become the man he is well known to be and fight Pompey in civil war!) and put up onto and nailed onto a cross where he see's his original Doctorai, (His Fighting Instructor!) the late Anamaius (Who was fatally wounded in one of the previous series episodes!) and reimagines himself as a heroic champion of the arena once again being cheered on by the crowd as he finally dies bellowing out in victory. Spartacus himself is mortally wounded by three spears thrown through his back mid section as he was about to deliver a killing blow to Imperator Marcus Crassus Senior in a personal duel. Though he is rescued and recovered by some of own men. (Among them a slave whom he both escaped from the Batiartus's Lutus with in the first series! He actually had a male lover who survived as well! I forget both their names) But he later died in the mountains where they buried him under stones and his original gladiator shield. As they he lies dieing and they say their last goodbyes. He finally admits that his real name isn't actually Spartacus. (What was it now? I forget!) A sad ending as can be expected by real history and that Kirk Douglas movie long before it. A good many of the ex-gladiators, ex-slaves died that day in the last battle against the Romans and the rest escaped to the mountains. Pompey lied to Marcus Crassus when he said he finished off the rest of them including Spartacus! The original Spartacus (Andy Whitfield not Liam McIntyre!) is shown screaming victoriously in the arena's of Capua right at the end after the credits finish rolling!

So most of them died, where I might have imagined that they all warp into clones of Slaine] and go on to live forever with their various dwarven companionsUkko by their side.[/spoiler]

They killed a hundred with their right hand and hundred with their left.....

That's another good idea. Slaine is sent forward through time to help Spartacus, [spoiler] although Spartacus is still killed. Slaine succeeds in helping a bulk of the ex-Galdiators/Slaves to escape.[/spoiler] Though, I guess Slaine's time-travelling days are over!

They did not think it too many!!!!!!

willthemightyW

The Proposition, an Australian 'Western' directed by John Hillcoat starring Ray Winstone, Guy Pearce, and Danny Huston. It was absolutely brilliant! Beautifully shot, well acted, and well written. How I've only just heard about it I don't know as it's right up my street!

Will
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: willthemightyW on 12 September, 2013, 04:45:18 PM
The Proposition, an Australian 'Western' directed by John Hillcoat starring Ray Winstone, Guy Pearce, and Danny Huston. It was absolutely brilliant! Beautifully shot, well acted, and well written. How I've only just heard about it I don't know as it's right up my street!

Will

It's one hell of a movie.

Mabs

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 12 September, 2013, 05:12:01 PM
Quote from: willthemightyW on 12 September, 2013, 04:45:18 PM

Will

It's one hell of a movie.

It's a f*cking masterpiece...or very close to it!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie