Main Menu

On telly this week

Started by Emperor, 24 December, 2011, 04:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

I really should read this thread more often.  I always need telly recommendations and never think to ask you other Squaxx, who definitely know their shit.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 11 July, 2023, 11:04:37 PMExcited for S2 of Foundation to start in a few days.

Only seen Ep1 of this so far, but it's good stuff. Probably worth refamiliarising yourself to some extent with S1, though — the 'Previously on' recap doesn't really cover the density nor the expansiveness of the first season.

Also, I absolutely haven't naffed the new series of What We Do In The Shadows off the interweb because there's no confirmed UK air date on Disney+ ... but, if I had, I'm sure I would have found the first episode hugely entertaining.

Just waiting to clear at least one series we're currently watching off the schedule before starting S2 of Good Omens and thoroughly excited for the imminent start of the new Only Murders In The Building.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 31/07/2023, 23:17:29Just waiting to clear at least one series we're currently watching off the schedule before starting S2 of Good Omens...

Just watched Ep1 of S2 and it's good stuff - and wonderful to see John Finnemore on writing duties (along with NG). I don't know if Finnemore has any other tv or film credits to his name but his radio output is consistently top-notch, so I have faith that this series is in good hands.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 01 August, 2023, 05:46:49 PMI don't know if Finnemore has any other tv or film credits to his name but his radio output is consistently top-notch, so I have faith that this series is in good hands.

ISTR that he was one of the writers on the Mitchell & Webb TV series, which was consistently excellent, but Google doesn't seem to offer much else in the way of non-radio credits.

To be honest, if he'd only ever written this radio sketch I'd have him marked down as a comedy genius.  :D

Colin YNWA

Thanks to 'The mighty world of British comics' on Facebook 2000ad was one of the answers on one of the wall thingies on Only Connect last night... oh just go see...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/33130887535/permalink/10159192862437536/

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 01 August, 2023, 06:03:35 PMTo be honest, if he'd only ever written this radio sketch I'd have him marked down as a comedy genius.  :D

Heh, that's such a good sketch. Now I'm tempted to listen to Cabin Pressure again...

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

I'm enjoying Ahsoka. Took an episode or two for me to really warm to it but now I'm hooked. Had me trawling through old Clone Wars and Rebels Ahsoka episodes to get myself back up to speed. I'm in the great position of not wanting this to end and not being able to wait for it to end so I can binge back through the whole thing on one go.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 20 September, 2023, 08:55:58 PMI'm enjoying Ahsoka. Took an episode or two for me to really warm to it but now I'm hooked. Had me trawling through old Clone Wars and Rebels Ahsoka episodes to get myself back up to speed. I'm in the great position of not wanting this to end and not being able to wait for it to end so I can binge back through the whole thing on one go.

The main criticism of Ahsoka I've seen from the moaners is that it's a direct sequel to the final season of Rebels... which would be valid, if Rebels wasn't fucking great. Which it is.

(I mean, I think it's a fair criticism that Ahsoka assumes that not only have you seen Rebels, but that you remember it in fairly minute detail... but that means that you should watch Rebels. Which you should. Because it's fucking great.)

Jim_Campbell

Not on telly this week, but worth a mention...

'Slow Horses' returns to Apple TV+ on 1st December. Honestly, if you haven't seen this, then take out one of the trial subs to Apple TV in early December, watch the first two series and then catch up with the third. It's a wonderfully grimy Le Carré-esque espionage thriller about MI5's least-capable agents, relegated to the shitty environs of 'Slough House' under the not-so-watchful eye of Gary Oldman's delightfully grubby Jackson Lamb.

Honestly, it's a delight.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 20 September, 2023, 10:32:32 PMNot on telly this week, but worth a mention...

'Slow Horses' returns to Apple TV+ on 1st December. Honestly, if you haven't seen this, then take out one of the trial subs to Apple TV in early December, watch the first two series and then catch up with the third. It's a wonderfully grimy Le Carré-esque espionage thriller about MI5's least-capable agents, relegated to the shitty environs of 'Slough House' under the not-so-watchful eye of Gary Oldman's delightfully grubby Jackson Lamb.

Honestly, it's a delight.

I second this, really enjoyed this show.

I'm glad y'all are enjoying Ahsoka, but I'm not willing to do the homework.
You may quote me on that.

The Legendary Shark

Slow Horses is back - yaay!

Also, Fargo and For all Mankind are back underway - triple yaay!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Link Prime

Fear not, the Beeb & Abbott Gatiss have another new Ghost Story for Christmas airing this weekend on Christmas Eve;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0gz411g

GoGilesGo

Quote from: Link Prime on 19 December, 2023, 11:41:26 PMFear not, the Beeb & Abbott Gatiss have another new Ghost Story for Christmas airing this weekend on Christmas Eve;

I read this earlier in the year, unearthing some non-Holmes Conan Doyle. It's very good.

Link Prime

Quote from: GoGilesGo on 20 December, 2023, 06:34:58 AM
Quote from: Link Prime on 19 December, 2023, 11:41:26 PMFear not, the Beeb & Abbott Gatiss have another new Ghost Story for Christmas airing this weekend on Christmas Eve;

I read this earlier in the year, unearthing some non-Holmes Conan Doyle. It's very good.

Never read it, but it has to be better than this adaptation.
Worst AGSFC of all time? A universal thumbs down from everyone at our Christmas table.

Hawkmumbler

I've come to accept Gatiss is just a bit shit at these and gave it a wide birth, spent this Christmas watching the Lawrence Gordon-Clark run instead by way of the new blu-ray sets.

the penultimate entry, STIGMA, remains a bit of an underrated gem and I almost wish we had got more of the contemporary, original tales. Sure THE ICE HOUSE is a bit laughable but what over teleplay can be describes as having incest, sentient ghost flowers and Geoffrey Burridge in a grotesque knitted jumper?