Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Nicely put, CFM. I was trying to articulate my feelings about Herzog, but 'ancient god walking around in the present day' does the job.

Spikes

To think I watched The Darkest Hour, when I could have re-watched Aguirre Wrath of God, which is indeed a top film. (Been eyeing up the rather nice steelbook for that in HMV....)

ThryllSeekyr

I started watching this complete episode of Automan here.....

Given Enough Power, I can even be made to feel real! and then I found couldn't watch anymore a few moments after that I heard that bit of narrative.

Of course, I watched this like whole lot of other similar stuff that had be made for television around about the same time. Between the ages of 13-17, possibly longer and earlier than that time!

It more easily impressed by bright blue lights and the fully 3D free roaming cursor back than and now that I'm taking more notice of the dialoge. It just sounds lame.

Yet that was last night, and I may watch the rest of it now.

Along with Greatest American Hero, (Can you all guess which famous 2000AD artist Willaim Katt reminds me of?) and The Phoenix.

I being to watch Greatest American hero lately and I always stop before I get far into that pilot episode. Nothing wrong with it, not even by today's standards. It's just that, my attention span is shorter these days. Anyway, every television series reaches point where 's it's passed the shark-jumping stage.

Almost forgot, Buck Rodgers pilot episode from the early 80's. (Just ignore the lame intro music which was never originally shown in version brought to Australia. That is the only version I can find right now!) I'm pretty sure they shared props with Classic Battle Star Galactica and imagine if the former was ever given the treatment the latter has been given. I can only guess which really cool male character from that show would be feminised or just replaced by a sexy girl with the same talents, but lacking the magic charm of the original.

Back in those days, I was watching reruns of the original Buster Crabb - Flash Gordon/Buck Rogers serials, but I soon lost interest in those after a few seasons as well.

BTW, I was trying to watch Buck Rodgers and the first episode of Futurama for inspiration to furnish the back story of my Elite Dangerous identity who is actually just me as I am right now. Some how I have to find my way of getting to the future...some time beyond year 3000 where that game is currently set!

ThryllSeekyr

I forgot to say....

I finally discovered the another later 80's television series about time-travelling cowboys I forgot had known the name of since I first saw this television in the early 90's.

Outlaws

Yes the name was as simple as that and I forgot it.

The synopsis, four crooked cowboys (Bandits?) had cornered a sheriff who might have been giving them some grief in the wilderness of Houston, Texas during the time of the 1800's when railroads had already been built entirely across the east and west of the U.S.A. and they had early telephones and cars as well.

When a freak storm rolls in overhead and they all get struck by lightening and this sends them into the future 1986. Same place, but roughly 100 years (At a guess!)  ahead.

After initially shock wear off both times after arriving and after finding when they are. Then move on in and put they're older west skills to detective work. That's how I read it until I watch the pilot episode in full. 

I've asked about this before, because when it was first shown on television in the early 90's. I had also moved out of home for the first time, closer to city with some old school friends (I use the term friend loosely, because right now I just remember them that way!)  and from the point onwards for the next three or four years, I didn't watch a lot of television unless it was what my house mates were watching.

I think by the time I borrowed another television from home to keep in my room, that show had finished it's shorter than average run and never of it again.

Looking art it now, I don't know why I made such a fuss about it, but I mentioned it here a few times without much recognition. So, if my chance encounter with this show on You-Tube that contained some popular sci-fi serials from that era, was more than a accident then I send a big thanks to the powers that be.

ThryllSeekyr

Forgot to add that cowboys in our time are not such far stretch of the imagination, being that more contemporary ones still exist (I think the ones that ran the big cites became the Mafia, but the as they were and as they are still needed to look after cows in the parts of mid west that haven't changed!) but I think this series still has some appeal. 

radiator

While I was pulling a mammoth work session last night I watched nearly all of the Paradise Lost trilogy.

It's a series of HBO documentaries totalling some 8 hours, spanning nearly 20 years, which tell the story of the West Memphis Three, three teenagers who were convicted of murdering three young boys in a 'satanic ritual' in Arkansas in 1993.

I'd heard of the case before, but was probably a bit young to pay much attention to it during the time when it was big news in the mid to late nineties.

What transpires is a tragedy of epic proportions, brought about by prejudice, ignorance, hubris, injustice, poverty, police incompetence, corruption, religious intolerance, media hysteria and just plain bad luck. The whole thing unfolds with a sense of hopeless, crushing inevitability. One of the parents of the murdered children wishes, without irony, that the accused (who were convicted solely on hearsay and the dubious confession of a mentally handicapped teenager) be burned at the stake "like they did in Salem".

It's stunning, really. Chilling and jaw-dropping in equal measure. Utterly engrossing. The sight of the three accused, who appear to visibly age 50 years during their 17 years of incarceration, almost brought me to tears.

M.I.K.

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 30 January, 2015, 03:06:12 PM
Forgot to add that cowboys in our time are not such far stretch of the imagination, being that more contemporary ones still exist (I think the ones that ran the big cites became the Mafia,

...and that's where the term "spaghetti western" comes from.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Quote from: M.I.K. on 30 January, 2015, 10:30:02 PM
Forgot to add that cowboys in our time are not such far stretch of the imagination, being that more contemporary ones still exist (I think the ones that ran the big cites became the Mafia,

Not because many 60s Westerns were filmed in Italy? That's what I thought but I'm too lazy to even Wikipedia it.
Lock up your spoons!

M.I.K.

That would be the factual explanation, yes.

Magnetica

Watched Shutter Island on Netflix.

Well didn't see that coming.

It's one of those that fall into the category of "if I had know it was about that I'm not sure I would have watched it, but if they had explained what it was about then it would have ruined it".

I'm not saying it wasn't a good movie - it was - just that it was a bit...I'm not sure what the word is...let's say thought provoking or "affecting".

Eric Plumrose

Quote from: Magnetica on 31 January, 2015, 05:05:27 PM
I'm not saying it wasn't a good movie - it was - just that it was a bit...I'm not sure what the word is...let's say thought provoking or "affecting".

Seem to remember I felt Leo's pain more in INCEPTION even if SHUTTER ISLAND is the better film, the double-twist of which isn't in the Dennis Lehane novel.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Big Hero 6

It felt like a kid's cartoon (and I saw from the credits that it was written by the folks who did Ben 10).

Fast paced. Waver thin plot. Plot holes like icebergs.

On the plus side, it had a great two-level drunkeness sequence (he's not drunk, just "low on power").

It also had a scene of what I can only call skysurfing.
Lock up your spoons!

Bolt-01

Just back from Big Hero 6, and really enjoyed it. Not as good as the Incredibles, but very strong.

Remember to stay till the end, the VERY end [spoiler]True Believers. [/spoiler]

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 31 January, 2015, 09:44:30 AM
Quote from: M.I.K. on 30 January, 2015, 10:30:02 PM
Forgot to add that cowboys in our time are not such far stretch of the imagination, being that more contemporary ones still exist (I think the ones
that ran the big cites became the Mafia,

Not because many 60s Westerns were filmed in Italy? That's what I thought but I'm too lazy to even Wikipedia it.

I was going to reply smartly to that one, but decided not to!  You, know I wouldn't mind if somebody, anybody here disagree with my claim that cowboys of the big cities evolved into the fedora  and pinstripe wearing gangstas'. Maybe not so abruptly as I said it. Yet, I either read somewhere or was given a direct hint hat this was hoe they won the west. They were the first to use tommy-guns.

Slight change of subject....

I 've been watching Hunger Games - Catching Fire without taking taking full notice of it and there was this part where Katniss is talking to who ever Donald Sutherland is and then one of them (I'm not so sure no!) says (Words to the effect!)......

These are only games, but a real war would a nightmare!

In my opinion....It's pretty nightmarish as it is! Young people are hunting each other down and killing each for sport and survival and are the winner is then made into some sort  folk hero until the next games.

The fact they refer to this as a game with out prestige of a real is kind of embarrassing.  People are suffering, and dying because of this and it's all just treated like a big joke.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 01 February, 2015, 01:29:40 AMThe fact they refer to this as a game with out prestige of a real is kind of embarrassing.  People are suffering, and dying because of this and it's all just treated like a big joke.

Which is kind of the point - in the game only poor children die. The rich get to watch and keep order.