Main Menu

Life Spugs because...

Started by Dog Deever, 04 March, 2009, 08:00:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

My local library, with which I'm currently conducting a passionate if self-destructive relationship, closes at 4.30 on a Saturday, and is closed all day Sunday.  How is a working stiff supposed to make use of the place?  Wouldn't it make more sense that (like museums and such) it was open at the weekend, and shut one other day during the week?  Or given that it's part of a local network of 7 maybe they could each take it in turn to be closed on a different day?  It is an utterly fabulous place, but I can't help think that your average taxpayer doesn't get much of return on their investment if they can't get to it most weeks...

I really don't have much to complain about, do I?

I, Cosh

Being open all day Saturday seems pretty decent to me. Ours are open until 8pm two nights a week.
We never really die.

Bouwel

I'm still trying to find one of my friends that wants to go to see Watchmen. Everyone of them has gone 'Huh, it's a comic...who wants to see a film about a comic?'.
At this rate I'll be doing a solo visit to see it.

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

grimmy

I m going to manchester th' nite to watch the watchmen on the imax wheeeee!
just had to brag! ;)
"I am the liquor"
"Gods balls!"
"I watch the watchmen"
"Randy!"

SuperSurfer

... of builders.

I always end up paying them to do stuff when I could do far better myself. They all make out they are some kind of master craftsmen but turn out to have the delicate touch of the Thing from Fantastic Four.

And for every one thing they fix, they break one. Like the brand new fridge they just scratched. I said to the guy "it hasn't even been turned on."

Bloody clumsy lot.

Bouwel

QuoteI m going to manchester th' nite to watch the watchmen on the imax wheeeee!
just had to brag!

*Envy* Still trying to find someone who wants to see it. I think it's going to be Bouwel, a box of popcorn and an empty theatre on Saturday.
Or I may just go to see the film on my own ;)

-Bouwel-
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

TordelBack

QuoteI always end up paying them to do stuff when I could do far better myself.

You should dial 1800-peterwolf.  As long as you're not too attached to your teaspoons like. ;)

Dandontdare

Quote from: "grimmy"I m going to manchester th' nite to watch the watchmen on the imax wheeeee!
just had to brag! ;)
Toptip - Get the IMAX experience for less money by going to a normal cinema and just sitting at the front! 8-)

Peter Wolf

Quote from: "SuperSurfer"... of builders.

I always end up paying them to do stuff when I could do far better myself. They all make out they are some kind of master craftsmen but turn out to have the delicate touch of the Thing from Fantastic Four.

And for every one thing they fix, they break one. Like the brand new fridge they just scratched. I said to the guy "it hasn't even been turned on."

Bloody clumsy lot.

The Guild Of Master Craftsmen and the Federation Of Master Builders or any of those trade associations are not to be taken seriously at all.They just pay a subscription/one off fee with no proof of competence or qualifications etc and in return they get sent some bumf and some stickers to stick on the side of their Vans.

Beware.

It doesnt matter to me as i am affiliated to English Heritage and endorsed/recommended by local authorities.
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

SuperSurfer

Quote from: "TordelBack"You should dial 1800-peterwolf.  As long as you're not too attached to your teaspoons like. ;)
Maybe a teaspoon, as a metalic object, qualifies as a tool and automatically ends up in the toolbox. You know how lightfingered they are: "Oh, that must be my tapemeasure and my screwdriver - oops, they ended up in my toolbox by 'accident'."

The amount of tools I've had nicked (or ruined) by builders is unbelievable. How they turn up without basic tools is beyond me.

Don't mean to offend any decent builders out there – but that is my only experience of them.

TordelBack

My mum was singing the praises of a guy who fixed her perpetually damp kitchen, right up to last week, when she decided to tackle the garden and discovered that he'd mixed cement in her barrow and all her buckets, and not bothered to wash them out afterwards.  (A hammer soon sorted that, but still).

That said, I had a great tiler in a while back and came home to find him sitting on his toolbox in the middle of the kitchen floor drinking tea from his flask - ignoring the tea/coffee, mug, biccies etc. that we'd left out for him - never mind the table and chairs.  "I don't like to impose", he said.

grimmy

I have seen it, its glorious, loved it, blown away. Silk Spectre...brrrowwwww!   :D
"I am the liquor"
"Gods balls!"
"I watch the watchmen"
"Randy!"

Dandontdare

Because my Saturday night just went down the shitter. Right now, I was supposed to be drinking cocktails in Chorlton to celebrate a good friend's birthday (who I fancy big time and who, apparently used to really fancy me - long story!) along with her sister and some young lesbians.

She texted me a short while ago to say that her sister and the lesbians have pulled out, she's in a bad mood and didn't think I'd enjoy an evening with just her and some new bloke she's started seeing (too right!). So not only has my Saturday night been cancelled, but my plans to get in her bed have suffered another fiendish setback.

So it's just me, the internet, the telly and some cans of Stella. Expect some rambling, pissed-off rants in a few hours!  :angry:

M.I.K.

Shhhh, Dandontdare! For all you know the new bloke she's started seeing might be a fan of 2000ad and reading this right now!

SamuelAWilkinson

...because I've wasted another Saturday playing video games and staring at blank documents wondering why they aren't writing themselves.
Nobody warned me I would be so awesome.