Main Menu

Threadjacking!

Started by Proudhuff, 11 June, 2012, 02:32:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.

Funt Solo

It's entirely possible that I just wasn't noticing before.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

JayzusB.Christ

How so? Not doubting you or anything, but I can't find anything online, despite literally dozens of seconds of Google research.

Seems like a fella whose heart is in the right place to me, even if I get the impression that going for a pint with him would be only marginally less irritating than having my eyeballs sandpapered.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Funt Solo

To be fair, I'm basing it also on a few seconds of research. It seems like he's switched to a lot of only vaguely obscured anti-vax disinformation. His support of Rogan is a red flag for me, frankly.

It goes a bit like this on his broadcasts:

"I'm not a doctor, and I'm not anti-vax - but isn't it all very suspicious, eh? Isn't it all a bit (not a doctor, not anti-vax) terribly, terribly suspicious that doctors are asking you to take the vaccine (but I'm not anti-vax, I'm not a doctor, don't listen to me) - but that vaccine seems very suspicious, doesn't it? You shouldn't trust anything you hear etc."

Then he goes on for ages about what a great guy Joe Rogan is. Who's anti-vax.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

"Fear knocked at the door, Faith answered. There was nobody there."

-The Sopranos-

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

It's an interesting quote. MLK purported it to mean that faith conquers fear, but another reading of it is that, really, nobody was there. Neither fear, nor faith - as both are inventions of our imagination. I assume the door was automatic and opened on its own due to a passing tumbleweed.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Quote from: Funt Solo on 27 January, 2022, 09:17:31 PM
It's an interesting quote. MLK purported it to mean that faith conquers fear, but another reading of it is that, really, nobody was there. Neither fear, nor faith - as both are inventions of our imagination. I assume the door was automatic and opened on its own due to a passing tumbleweed.

I prefer Psir Pterry's version

Quote"All right," said Susan. "I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need... fantasies to make life bearable."

REALLY? AS IF IT WAS SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.

"Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little—"

YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.

"So we can believe the big ones?"

YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.

"They're not the same at all!"

YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET—Death waved a hand. AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME...SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.

"Yes, but people have got to believe that, or what's the point—"

MY POINT EXACTLY.

JayzusB.Christ

I'll tentatively posit that fear isn't always purely a product of the imagination. My parents' cat is seriously lacking in imagination to the best of my knowledge, but was scared shitless when my auntie brought her dog round at Christmas.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

M.I.K.

Also, not being afraid doesn't mean there isn't any actual danger, as evidenced by the fate of the much lamented quotee.

The Legendary Shark

Maybe it's about putting fear behind you. Be roused to action by it, sure, but don't be ruled by it, and remember that nobody, ultimately, can make you afraid but you. But you need faith to make that true.

Furthermore, all you need is love (and a viable socio-economic system).

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 27 January, 2022, 11:27:47 PM
I'll tentatively posit that fear isn't always purely a product of the imagination. My parents' cat is seriously lacking in imagination to the best of my knowledge, but was scared shitless when my auntie brought her dog round at Christmas.

Cats are a completely different kettle of fish - not only is their fear real, but their goddess - Bastet - is also real. I think we need to alter the phrase...

Fear knocked at the door, Faith answered. There was nobody there. Until Bastet glanced down from her palanquin and realized it was her fifth disciple, Fear, returning from a hunt around the neighborhood bird tables.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Legendary Shark

Fear knocked at the door. Dredd answered. Poor Fear.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

I've just realised 90s gangsta rap is the new dad rock

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo on 28 January, 2022, 02:03:59 AM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 27 January, 2022, 11:27:47 PM

Cats are a completely different kettle of fish - not only is their fear real, but their goddess - Bastet - is also real. I think we need to alter the phrase...

Fear knocked at the door, Faith answered. There was nobody there. Until Bastet glanced down from her palanquin and realized it was her fifth disciple, Fear, returning from a hunt around the neighborhood bird tables.

If she's secretly a sock puppet, consider me a convert.