Main Menu

2000 AD - The Ultimate Collection

Started by Molch-R, 27 February, 2017, 06:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Headroom

Just wondering whether the Hachette 'Fiends of the Eastern Front' will feature all the material that will be in Rebellion's own trade paperback which is now scheduled for next year? The Rebellion edition is stated to run to 176 pages - does this sound about right for an Ultimate Collection book?

sintec

Quote from: leethomson on 28 May, 2020, 02:59:26 PM
I do think they would have to concentrate on newer stuff as it comes out, as a lot of the tier one content has already been included.

Yeah they pretty much rinsed the 250-500 era in the initial run, we've got all of quite a few progs from that era and the majority of most of the rest. The extension fills out the pre-250 era nicely with Flesh, VCs and Fiends and there's no way Dan Dare is ever going to make it in so there's not a lot left there.

By the end of the extension I think these 2 Hachette collections will have reprinted around 50% of the strips from the Prog.  And a big chunk of those excluded seem to be stuff from the poorly regarded era in the early 90s. I'd mostly want a further extension to tidy up any remaining loose ends like Kingdom and Stickleback (probably Defoe too), which is all going to be relatively newer stuff. There's a few suggestions earlier in this thread that could round that out though.

Quote from: Max Headroom on 28 May, 2020, 03:09:42 PM
Just wondering whether the Hachette 'Fiends of the Eastern Front' will feature all the material that will be in Rebellion's own trade paperback which is now scheduled for next year? The Rebellion edition is stated to run to 176 pages - does this sound about right for an Ultimate Collection book?

Yeah we've had quite a few volumes around that page count so I think that's probably a good guess.

Tomwe

#s 71 & 72 just turned up. COVID-19 seems to have had very little affect on these subscriptions after all, at least for now. The books are printed in Spain so is it conceivable there could be a delay further down the pike? The Warhammer series has been staggered due to them being put together by GW who closed shop temporarily.

Max Headroom

Anyone like to speculate how far we will get into what is available now of 'Defoe' in the two Ultimate Collection volumes?

leethomson

Quote from: Max Headroom on 28 May, 2020, 05:34:52 PM
Anyone like to speculate how far we will get into what is available now of 'Defoe' in the two Ultimate Collection volumes?
My money is everything up to and including The London Hanged.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: leethomson on 28 May, 2020, 05:57:29 PM
Quote from: Max Headroom on 28 May, 2020, 05:34:52 PM
My money is everything up to and including The London Hanged.

Yup, Leigh Gallagher did six books of Defoe, so I think that's what we'll get - three per volume. That's two books shy of everything, but still two more than are currently available in trade form.
@jamesfeistdraws

The Monarch

maybe they added the extra book out of respect for carlos to finish off the new strontium run?

sintec

I stuck some speculation on the contents of the extension into a spreadsheet to see how what the distribution across the Prog looked like. It's certainly more slanted to the modern era than the initial run was.

leethomson

Strong work, sintec. That's most of my wilderness years covered!

Relatively little from 500-1000.

IndigoPrime

Heh — that image is really damning. Spot the shit period!

Michael Knight

Delighted to receive volumes 71 +72 (Thargs future shocks and Durham red) today.
Was just wondering how much of Duhams Red series will be collected in this part work?

sintec

I think they said it'd be the full Abnett run - that's what my speculation above contains ;)

IndigoPrime

As a solo character, Durham Red had the Grant/Ezquerra Island of the Damned, and then a small run of Hogan/Harrison stories. Epicedium in Prog 1006 was here Abnett took over, and marked a bridge between old and new. After that, we got Scarlet Cantos/Vermin Stars/Empty Suns, which were so far removed from Strontium Dog continuity that they may as well have been a different series. These three are compiled in full in the Hachette hardcover (along with mask of the Red Death, which sits between Scarlet and Vermin), which represents a bargain, not least given that the original paperback collections are long out of print and nightmarish to find.

Bar that, we had a single Grant/Ezquerra Durham Red (1785–1790) before Worley/Willsher rebooted the character in 2018.

Michael Knight

Thanks a lot for the info guys. Im really enjoying reading the Abnett run. I got into 2000ad in the 90s so I was bit unaware of what came before with the character.
I did enjoy the recent revival in the prog recently. Was this a complete reboot or a continuation of original Strontium dog character? Once again thanks for the info!

IndigoPrime

My reading of the Worley Durham Red is it basically ignores the entire Abnett run, and more or less continues the character in the Wagner-only continuity.