Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banners

Faxes. In this day and age - what is the point? Why do people insist I use them?

M@

The Legendary Shark

I guess that emails can get lost in the crowd or drowned in spam. Maybe it's also marginally quicker to receive a fax rather than open an email, read it and then print it out. A fax gives an instant hard copy for filing (you know how office people love their filing). There's also the type of boss who bought that fax machine for half a million quid when they first came out and is determined to get value for money out of it. Then again, some folk are just awkward.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

SuperSurfer

Quote from: Banners on 03 June, 2010, 01:37:00 PM
Faxes. In this day and age - what is the point? Why do people insist I use them?

I remember when studying we were taken to see a design studio and were shown a fax machine. We had never even heard of such a thing. The idea that you could put an image through this thing and it would appear down the other end of a phone line seemed incredible. (Shows his age again.)

Dandontdare

i was once asked to help a junior colleague who was having trouble sending a fax. I asked her what she'd been doing so far:
"Well I put the document face down here"
"yes, that's right"
"Then I dial 9 plus the number"
"fine so far"
"I press start.... and look, it just comes straight out the bottom again!"

God knows where she thought it would go, but she'd sent the same fax about half a dozen times by then! I also heard of someone who conned the office junior into calling another branch and asking them to fax over a couple of dozen blank sheets of paper as they'd run out.

nev

Turns out I wasn't meant to be in school today. At least I got 5 hours of study done in the library.

On the plus side my birthday present from my father arrived today, but the spine of Sinister Dexter: Eurocrash is not the same as the others in the series. What the fuck.

James Stacey

Quote from: nev on 02 June, 2010, 08:22:07 PM
Today I bought a flapjack, one I'd tried months before. I was disgusted to find they'd changed the consistency. Repulsive.
Have you tried using cheese on it?

House of Usher

Flapjacks are always disgusting unless you make your own or you buy them somewhere they are baked on the premises. It's nice to have some control over the fat and humectant content.
STRIKE !!!

CrazyFoxMachine

Three were arses when I left the network today. They tried to bribe me with vouchers for "comics".

"HOW DID YOU KNOW I BUY COMICS?!" I yelled much later at facsimile of the network made out of potatoes

...how did they know?

It's all very sinister.

Kev Levell

Dandontdare

Quote from: House of Usher on 03 June, 2010, 03:24:31 PM
It's nice to have some control over the fat and humectant content.

And once again 2000adonline has expanded my vocabulary!

James Stacey

Quote from: Dandontdare on 03 June, 2010, 04:17:48 PM

Every day is a school day with HoU :)

nev

In relation to my earlier post. Here's a thumbnail to the Graphic Novels in question.

What the hell is this? Why would you even make them with different spines? It looks wrong now.

House of Usher

Quote from: James Stacey on 03 June, 2010, 04:27:44 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 03 June, 2010, 04:17:48 PM

Every day is a school day with HoU :)

Hey, you've got to start reading the ingredients and nutritional information, or how else are you going to make informed choices?
;)
STRIKE !!!

Roger Godpleton

That film where Jessica Alba gets her face smashed in for like, 10 minutes, ain't on in no nearby picturehouse. Not even in Northampton. :|
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

The Legendary Shark

Some time ago, I got my first ever short story published after winning a top place at www.youwriteon.com in their first anthology, which you can see on Amazon here: http://tinyurl.com/2wgxosz

Last year, the book didn't sell enough to net me my £25 royalty cheque. This morning, I got my latest royalty statement:

Looks like it's gonna' take me a while to catch up to J.K. Rowling. :(
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]