Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 29 December, 2010, 08:13:28 PM
DVD region coding

I have yet to hear a convincing reasonable argument for the existence of region coding.

The fact that different distributors own the rights to films in different countries? And if distributor A releases a region free version in their territory import sales might damage the value of distributor B's distribution deal?

Just a guess.

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 30 December, 2010, 08:37:03 AM
DVD region coding

I have yet to hear a convincing reasonable argument for the existence of region coding.

The fact that different distributors own the rights to films in different countries? And if distributor A releases a region free version in their territory import sales might damage the value of distributor B's distribution deal?

Just a guess.

It can be circumvented anyway with additional firmware and various hacks which makes region coding pointless.the film companies can do what they like but i find it a problem that film companies can dictate the inner workings of my computer meaning i can only switch the region coding 5 times.

Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

The Legendary Shark

You could always use DVD ripping software such as DVDFab to make yourself a personal, region-free backup copy.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Keef Monkey

Quote from: Peter Wolf on 30 December, 2010, 05:27:16 PM
DVD region coding

Just a guess.

It can be circumvented anyway with additional firmware and various hacks which makes region coding pointless.

Aye, I'm sure the fact that someone will undoubtedly find an illegal way around it should be a deterrent for them even trying. Thinking about it we should probably stop locking our doors too, burglars would just find a way in anyway ;)

Peter Wolf

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 30 December, 2010, 07:11:29 PM
Quote from: Peter Wolf on 30 December, 2010, 05:27:16 PM
DVD region coding

Just a guess.

It can be circumvented anyway with additional firmware and various hacks which makes region coding pointless.

Aye, I'm sure the fact that someone will undoubtedly find an illegal way around it should be a deterrent for them even trying. Thinking about it we should probably stop locking our doors too, burglars would just find a way in anyway ;)

You can buy region free DVD players but it seems like you are suggesting that its illegal to workaround region codes for personal/private use so i need to look that up to verify wether or not that is illegal or if any kind of circumventing of region codes is illegal.

Theres nothing written on the packaging of the DVD i have here that states anything at all about region codes and their associated restrictions.

In any event there is a huge amount of info and firmware etc available online and whats more you can buy multi-region/region free DVD players and half the time the manufacturers dont even bother to include the circuitry/programs that allow the 5 times only region resets in their DVD players so again whats the point ?

I dont know right now wether there are any legalities covering this but i cant find any references to any without doing more searching so lets presume for now that it isnt illegal but if film studios complain that region code breaking is losing them revenue and this that and the other while doing nothing about what i have already pointed out is like leaving your door open all day and all night permanently and then complaining if you are cleaned out of anything of value.

House of Usher

Swede was too bitter to eat this Christmas, even after my sense of taste had returned to normal. That was some pretty revolting stuff: no sweetness to it at all.
STRIKE !!!

Dunk!

I do wish more 2000ad creators on Facebook would be set so you could become fans rather than friends.

Just makes more sense.
"Trust we"

staticgirl

Yeah I know what you mean. Feels a bit presumptious and stalkerish to add them as friends if they don't have a professional page set up....

COMMANDO FORCES

I just sent off my gas & electricity readings for the last quarter and I'm still in credit, which is good but the weird thing is that we seem to have only used 2 units of electricity on the night tariff  :eh:

Now I'm gonna have to bloody well ring them up tomorrow to ask what is going on!

Peter Wolf

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 04 January, 2011, 08:18:17 PM
I just sent off my gas & electricity readings for the last quarter and I'm still in credit, which is good but the weird thing is that we seem to have only used 2 units of electricity on the night tariff  :eh:

Now I'm gonna have to bloody well ring them up tomorrow to ask what is going on!

Use more power at night then.

That will fix the problem.

:D

COMMANDO FORCES

That's when I'm on here or watching stuff and the washer comes on every night and finishes before the normal price starts! It's bloody weird....

Emp

Count yerself lucky CF, our last readings ended in an almighty row. Pay X amount a month to cover yearly bill. On paper everything fine....pay more in than you use in summer, in winter you break even or use a bit more, but it all evens out over the year. But no, our provider thinks that since we use more than we pay for over the winter that they wil try to jack up monthly payments by nearly £50 quid. Wouldn't be as pissed off if they asked but just dropped it into bottom of the statement as a "by the way". After several calls and general grumpy fuck attitude they agreed to making it a bit lower....they still cant accept that overall it works out!

COMMANDO FORCES

Just got off the phone to EON and can't believe how long it took to explain that using 2 units of electricity in a 3 month period is wrong. After ages of stupidity the lady said that it looks like the meter is malfunctioning and instead of running at 75% Day and 25% Night, it looks like it is set at 99% Day and 1% Night.
They are coming out to sort the meter out later this month, no hurry then!

Emp, I had that when they just up your debit and I did the same, a quick call to tell them to bring it down and if there was anything unpaid at the end of the year, then I would pay it then. Guess what, there wasn't!

Richmond Clements

My Xbox is freezing up when I have it on for a couple of minutes, and on going through the troubleshooting thingy on the website, I have discovered it is a problem with the hard drive.

A question for the tech bods here- is this fixable, or is it easier to just buy a new HD? (I've plenty of Amamzon Christmas money left and can get one easy enough).

Thanks!

Richmond Clements