Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.Cow

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 05 September, 2012, 11:16:20 PM
"Read the all-oo-min-um sign."
"Aluminium. It's got a 'u' in it."
Excuse me, am i going mad? Surely the 'problem' with american pronunciation of 'aluminium' isnt that it's missing the 'u', but that it's missing the second 'i'?

If I understand correctly, it's we Brits who get it wrong.  Apparently it was originally 'aluminum' without a second 'i'.

SmallBlueThing

Yeah- but the advert still makes no sense, does it? I'm genuinely tying myself in knots over this- and it's hurting my head. Of course, if you've not seen the ad, you won't know what I'm talking about...

SBT

Definitely Not Mister Pops

It might surprise you to learn that the people who write adverts are lazy hacks
You may quote me on that.

Rog69

I have just lost 5 hours of my life to a pile of digital excrement called Games for Windows Live.

My god, this is the worst piece of software ever, it offers no tangible benefit to PC gamers, it has no good reason to exist and probably wouldn't if it had to stand on it's own feet instead of being forced on users as a compulsory install with certain games.

I won't go into the details of all of the hoops I had to jump through to get it working but my particular highlights were the installer that quits before the install is complete without telling you why (and then requires you to manually edit your registry and delete files to get it to work) and the account creation process that tries to force you into using internet explorer and then won't actually work with it.

This is all to sign up to a Microsoft service using Microsoft software running on a Microsoft OS.

All I wanted to do was activate the DLC I bought for Batman - Arkham City, no wonder people pirate so much stuff if companies make it this difficult for legitimate customers to access content they actually paid for.

I won't touch another game infected with this crap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWFglztLeDc

Something Fishy

Because for reasons already discussed elsewhere I am moving on from the prog and shall no longer be signing in here.

Farewell to all the great people I have met here over the past 11 years, it's been fun.

Banners

No offence, old bean, but you're taking it way too personally. The unfortunate machinations of the film's distribution in terms of your regretable circumstances, should in no way affect your love for the Prog. Will be sad to see you leave, so please don't.

A.Cow

Quote from: Something Fishy on 08 September, 2012, 07:42:42 PM
Because for reasons already discussed elsewhere I am moving on from the prog and shall no longer be signing in here.

Farewell to all the great people I have met here over the past 11 years, it's been fun.

At the risk of being offensive, please just grow up.  You've ignored every positive suggestion offered by forum members.

Just butcher two pairs of 3D glasses and put a right eye lens on both eyes.  You will see a monoscopic image -- exactly the same one that audiences watching the 2D version in other cinemas will see.  Even the light levels should be about right, because they use a brighter image for 3D to compensate for the clockwise & anti-clockwise polarisation of the glasses.

Better still, why not start up a business selling ready-built 3D-to-2D movie glasses to help others like yourself, rather than just hitting out illogically at Rebellion.

A.Cow

Something Fishy

Quote from: A.Cow on 08 September, 2012, 09:45:19 PM

At the risk of being offensive, please just grow up.  You've ignored every positive suggestion offered by forum members.

Just butcher two pairs of 3D glasses and put a right eye lens on both eyes.  You will see a monoscopic image -- exactly the same one that audiences watching the 2D version in other cinemas will see.  Even the light levels should be about right, because they use a brighter image for 3D to compensate for the clockwise & anti-clockwise polarisation of the glasses.

Better still, why not start up a business selling ready-built 3D-to-2D movie glasses to help others like yourself, rather than just hitting out illogically at Rebellion.

I haven't ignored the positives, I've responded to a few so apologies if I missed yours.

The glasses are a good idea thought obviously you lose some brightness and clarity from the real image.

And telling a 41 year old who's slowly going blind and upset at this decision to grow up because of those feelings is a little off to be honest.  I'm perfectly grown up.  I consider excluding a bunch of people when they really had no need to pretty bloody immature and it has upset me.

Anyway, enough said.  Your idea is interesting and I will see if this works for me and my particular functional problems but I will wait until I can watch a friends 3d telly and tr it free.  Not pay and reward someone for pushing a format like this.

But I was saying goodbye to the folks here that I've chatted to over many years, some of which I used to chat to loads and it's them it's addressed to.  I've said enough about the other issue elsewhere?

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I understand your anger, but, WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN US?
You may quote me on that.

Jim_Campbell

And now you're into "I'm going now. Don't try to stop me. No, really, I'm going. Forever. Really." territory.

I'm honestly sorry you're upset. I'm sorry you have these truly horrible sight problems, but neither this forum nor the comic has done anything to earn your ire, so write a stiff letter to the film's distributor and take the right  people to task. Or, y'know, stop telling everyone that you're leaving and go.

Bah.

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Tiplodocus

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Dandontdare

If my two visits to Dredd are anything to go by, we're going to have to watch that fucking Sweeney/Orange advert every time we visit the cinema for the next few months. The Expendables one was mildly amusing the first couple of times, but this got on my tits from the very first frame.

vzzbux

After six weeks off work on the sick, today was first day back. God I hate work.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

paddykafka

Is it just me, or are any other boarders utterly pissed off with all those poxy automated telephone lines that seem to be ubiquitous in just about every area of life these days?

A perfect example is the one for the Odeon Cinema in Point Village, Dublin. I've tried three times now to make my way through their 1520880000 number and I can't even get to the point of hearing details for the Dredd 3D movie. Instead, I keep getting the same robotic cunt's voice repeating: "I'm sorry, I didn't hear you correctly. Was that..?" etc, et fucking cetera!

Now just to clarify things: I don't have any sort of speech impediment; I wasn't speaking in Swahili; I wasn't lorrying back a pint of ale while speaking at the same, nor for that matter, gobbling on a giant size bread roll.

I'm not asking for much, really. I'd just like to speak to a human fucking being who can answer a few simple questions such as: "At what time is it on in the Biggest Screen in the cinema?"; "As I don't have a credit card to book online, are there still tickets available for the screening if I just walk in off the street, as it were?" "Will I be able to choose any seat?"; "What time does the actual movie itself, start at?"

But no, instead I keep getting the run-around from the Irish equivalent of Hal 9000.

Stop Press!

Finally got through on my fourth attempt, but once again have found myself in Automato-land! No facility to speak to someone who can deal with my queries. Just the same shite as before.

End result - they've just lost a potential customer.