Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banners

Something similar happened to me. I was worried but it was just the fan which had seized - it was about £30 to fix. Hopefully it's not as bad as you fear.

The Legendary Shark

Been stuck in virtually stationary traffic on the M62 for over an hour in the pissing rain. The door rubber has picked today to perish so it's also raining in all over my right leg. Bloody bugger.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

And now my 'phone's acting up too - bloody bloody double bugger.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 21 October, 2013, 01:25:51 PM
Been stuck in virtually stationary traffic on the M62 for over an hour in the pissing rain.

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 21 October, 2013, 01:47:55 PM
Been stuck in virtually stationary traffic on the M62 for over an hour in the pissing rain.

WARNING: do not pick up any hungry-looking younger hitch-hiking versions of yourself.  But do check the back seat for mountains of cash.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Banners on 21 October, 2013, 01:23:23 PM
Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 21 October, 2013, 01:16:05 PM
Windows 7 is shit.

Don't be stupid.

I know what you are but what am I?  I have had a W7 pc for less than a month and the number of bluescreen crashes now has a 2 at the start of it.  Shit.

Banners

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 21 October, 2013, 02:43:23 PM
I have had a W7 pc for less than a month and the number of bluescreen crashes now has a 2 at the start of it.

Whereas I've run my current Windows 7 PC 16 hours a day for nearly three years and have had jut one BSOD (when the fan broke, see above). Assuming your Windows 7 installation is up-to-date, I suspect it's your hardware config rather than the OS causing the problem.

Professor Bear

By "hardware config", do you mean the four gb of ram Windows needs just to turn on?  One bluescreen was because I tried to play a dvd, but mostly it's because of a modem that has no compatibility problems with any other os, not even - God help us - Vista.*  This was once explained to me by a pc repairman as not being Microsoft or Windows' fault, it was, in fact, the fault of everyone else for not making their products work with versions of windows that did not yet exist, and that my problems might go away if my pc cost a thousand pounds more than it did.  He said this with a straight face and no malice and was by all other measures a helpful and nice man.

*I have also heard of many people who have never had a single problem with Vista, but then my dad knows a man whose parachute didn't open this one time and who is still alive.

sheldipez

With Windows you get one crap version then one good version, which is just the previous version with everything that was wrong with it fixed. e.g. Windows 2000 sucked, Windows XP good. Vista sucked, Windows 7 good. Windows 8 sucks [worse than any Windows has ever sucked], so come back when Windows 9 has fixed all this shit.

von Boom

Microsoft tends to have a break and release policy.

1st. Break all existing compatibilities.
2nd. Release to public.

Professor Bear

You forgot step 0.5: copy other people's ideas but charge more.
Also step 3: steal Bear's money and refuse to give it back.

The Legendary Shark

So, so far today I've been stuck in stationary traffic three times - once due to some maniac farmer dropping a haystack all over th M62 at Goole, once due to some maniac low-loader driver dropping a HUGE drum of pylon cable on the M62 at Brighouse and lastly due to some maniac car driver setting fire to his Fiat Cindero on the M61 at Chorley. Finally got back to base nearly 4 hours late only to discover that one of my pallets of mixed peppers had collapswd en-route, treating me to a colourful avalanche upon opening the back doors.

All sorted now, though so all that remains is the 33 minute walk home.

In the rain.

Now that, my friends, is a proper procession of minor impediments!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 21 October, 2013, 05:43:53 PM
Dammit - and now I've broken a tooth.

Well stop filing them then.

As I understand it your kind have multiple rows of the things, so the one behind will move forward if you just yank the broken one out.   

More seriously, ouch and bugger.

The Legendary Shark

If I don't file them people think I'm a hat stand...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

paddykafka

Last night I put on a DVD from an Inspector Morse box set that I borrowed from the library. I made sure to clean off the disc first - as previous borrowers have a tendency to leave sticky thumb prints etc - and settled down for a relaxed evening in with one of my favourite Detectives.

Six minutes into the episode, and the damn disc started to freeze then skip, freeze then skip, and on it went for at least the next ten minutes. I got so irritated at not being able to follow the story that I gave up trying and went grumpily to bed instead.

Ironically enough, the offending episode on the disc was entitled: "Driven to Distraction"...