Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Rog69 on 08 December, 2013, 10:48:30 AM
We have similar problems with our families so the past couple of years we did out kids an Amazon wishlist each and we just direct people there if they can't sort it out for themselves.

Why the bloody hell didn't I think of that.  I mean, the thought turns my stomach ('here's what you should buy for little Tarquin in the 20-30 euro range'), but it would make life so much easier.  Next year.

The bit that really annoys is that I genuinely believe that the thing the kids would most like from their grandparents, uncles and aunts would be to be taken out for a kickabout, a game of snakes and ladders, or a co-op on the Wii, none of which ever happens. 

Thankfully my own brothers and their wives are a lot more switched on, despite hardly ever being in the country.  One of the best Christmas Days we ever had was in the snow a few years back when my brother brought over a plastic sled and spent hours bombing around the estate with the kids until long after dark.  This we all remember, what presents he brought the kids is long forgotten. 

Similarly my Ozzer brother's wife was in hospital with complications leading up to the birth their second baby last Christmas, and they were understandably distracted, but to our amazement a bizarre sequence of presents from them arrived in Amazon boxes day after day for about a week.  On enquiring as to what was going on, it transpired that my brother had been put in charge of organising presents to both families, predictably left it far too late for postage, and decided the internet was the only way to go, but then couldn't keep track of what he'd ordered for who or whether he had at all, so just kept sending present after present until he was sure everyone had got something. It was a rather awesome recovery, but gods know what it cost him.

Christmas is supposed to be fun, and about people, not bloody catalogues.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 December, 2013, 11:29:41 AM
at the thing the kids would most like from their grandparents, uncles and aunts would be to be taken out for a kickabout, a game of snakes and ladders, or a co-op on the Wii, none of which ever happens. 

That just sounds utterly mental to me. My first lil' nephew was born last November, and I absolutely cannot wait to take him on days out, treat him to stuff or just muck about in a park with a football, any chance I get. I can't understand who on earth would try to avoid things like that, or why...?
@jamesfeistdraws

sheldipez

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 08 December, 2013, 02:24:52 PM
Quote from: TordelBack on 08 December, 2013, 11:29:41 AM
at the thing the kids would most like from their grandparents, uncles and aunts would be to be taken out for a kickabout, a game of snakes and ladders, or a co-op on the Wii, none of which ever happens. 

That just sounds utterly mental to me. My first lil' nephew was born last November, and I absolutely cannot wait to take him on days out, treat him to stuff or just muck about in a park with a football, any chance I get. I can't understand who on earth would try to avoid things like that, or why...?

My parents haven't seen my kids for several years. Some people just have no interest in these things.

TordelBack

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 08 December, 2013, 02:24:52 PMI can't understand who on earth would try to avoid things like that, or why...?

You obviously haven't met my kids!

Joke, joke, they're not (quite) that bad.  Yeah, it mystifies me: when they do get to see them, it's always 'be quiet; don't touch that' etc.  I often find myself thinking: 'how much longer do you think these klds are going to be interested in playing with you?'. I've already noticed that my 7 year-old prefers to play with his friends than with me when both options are available, which is healthy but also sad. 

Still, as Sheldipez notes, it could be worse: my best mate's in-laws never come near their kids, and hardly ever send presents or cards for birthdays or Christmas. If they want to drop round to them, they have to give a month's notice.

I only get to see my brother's Aussie kids for a few weeks every year or two, and their absence in my life literally wrecks my head. 

We're lucky in that my own side of the family, for all our many many many faults, are much more into spending time with and playing with the kids, but the whole situation does make my wife quite unhappy.  Although ultimately it's the relatives in question I feel sorry for.  Even if it's only getting lost in a long Lego session or a spot of rockpooling again, these experiences are not to be missed.

Anyway, as predicted the phonecalls started this morning, and followed the standard pattern, but with a new twist anticipated by Rog: all shopping this year is to be by internet, so this afternoon I have to send them links to appropriate pressies.  -sigh-

Hawkmumbler

Wow. I never stopped to think that a tight knit family like mine might not be the norm. This thread went from amusing to sad in the space of a few posts.

Trout

That sounds like a nightmare, Tordels. I would turn my phone off.

Still, it's better than a certain elderly relative of mine casually asking what a child is getting for their birthday, then rushing out to buy it first so we had to come up with something different. Then trying the same trick again the following year. :lol:

And you're right that time together is more important. Even after a massive pre-emigration toy cull, my kids have more crap than they could ever hope to play with. Yet they're happiest just drawing a picture or running around with a bat and ball.

You should draw up a pledge system for next year. Get the rellies to sign up for a trip to the cinema or an hour of football, and wrap up the pledge with a choccy Santa. Or would that offend everyone?

TordelBack

Quote from: Trout}You should draw up a pledge system for next year. Get the rellies to sign up for a trip to the cinema or an hour of football, and wrap up the pledge with a choccy Santa. Or would that offend everyone?[/quote

Well yes, but that's no reason not to do it!  I think that's a quite brilliant idea and wish I'd thought of it- next year for sure.  As it stands I am mainly sending links to board-and-card games, as we will apparently now be spending Christmas evening with the in-laws, the kids love them and it'll give me reason to insist on interaction.  Always fancied trying Munchkin.

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 08 December, 2013, 02:57:46 PM
Wow. I never stopped to think that a tight knit family like mine might not be the norm. This thread went from amusing to sad in the space of a few posts.

That'd be my baleful influence again!

Cheer us up by explaining to me what a 'Kylelite' is Hawkmonger. I've already ruled it out as a South Park reference.

Hawkmumbler

A potential Jeremy Kyle Show guest. A strange, alien race of creature indigenous to northern England and a habitual pest to the working population.

TordelBack

Gak, editing that post went to hell!  But you get the point.

Occurs to me that I have unintentionally misrepresented my father-in-law here.  He can be quite distant and slow to engage, but in several previous years he has put huge amounts of effort into hand-making pressies for the kids which were quite wonderful, and inspired me to do likewise. So it really isn't as bad as I make out, or at least the badness is a bit less general.

Ancient Otter

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 December, 2013, 03:03:32 PMWell yes, but that's no reason not to do it!  I think that's a quite brilliant idea and wish I'd thought of it- next year for sure.  As it stands I am mainly sending links to board-and-card games...

Read as far as here, suspected where this was going....

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 December, 2013, 03:03:32 PM...Always fancied trying Munchkin.

and my hunch was right.  It's your own Christmas wish list you're sending them! :lol:

TordelBack

Always!  It's the no. 1 reason to have kids.  The in-laws'd never find more than Monopoly left to themselves, but as they have abased themselves before the power of the interwebs I can con them into filling the games cupboard with something other than Hungry Hungry Hippos. They could have got away with HexBugs and Lego, but they chose this path.

In my defense, the Boy in particular really does love boardgames - he regularly murders us in Catan and Carcassonne (and going so far as to teach my 70-yr old mother to play both), never mind the rather good Lego Hogwarts game.  You've no idea how hard it has been to refuse his endless demands for a Warhammer starter set (he's too young and it's too expensive).

Hawkmumbler

No. Never. Games Workshop their prices are utterly criminal!

TordelBack

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 08 December, 2013, 04:39:46 PM
No. Never. Games Workshop their prices are utterly criminal!

Well, I think their successful business model of well-located well-staffed shops mandates their insanely high prices, but I agree, it's a dark path to start down. 

Ancient Otter

Quote from: TordelBack on 08 December, 2013, 04:35:09 PM
Always!  It's the no. 1 reason to have kids.  The in-laws'd never find more than Monopoly left to themselves, but as they have abased themselves before the power of the interwebs I can con them into filling the games cupboard with something other than Hungry Hungry Hippos. They could have got away with HexBugs and Lego, but they chose this path.

In my defense, the Boy in particular really does love boardgames - he regularly murders us in Catan and Carcassonne (and going so far as to teach my 70-yr old mother to play both), never mind the rather good Lego Hogwarts game.  You've no idea how hard it has been to refuse his endless demands for a Warhammer starter set (he's too young and it's too expensive).

Haven't played Settlers of Catan but love Carcassonne - does your son trounce everyone with farmers?

TordelBack

No, sleepers farmers is the wife's default strategy.  We often get stuck in a farmer arms-race while my son focuses on almost imperceptible road-and-small-city building gains, with a sideline in cloisters.  Left to my own devices I'm a big city man myself, and if we're playing expansions I love cathedrals: killer points yield if you can pull it off.  Which I never can.