Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grugz

don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

Mardroid

I was on  my way to meet a friend earliertoday in West Wickham. ( Actually, I'm on my way back know). Little buggers at the the back of the bus thought it would.be amusing to use the back of my head for target practice with their party poppers and other lobbed rubbish.

Kinda proud of myself in that I didn't react hardly at all, even keeping the in voluntary jumping to a minimum. I hoped the tactic of ignoring their existence would make them bored as reacting may provoke them more, but they continued on and off all the way! Actually, other passengers reacted more than me. I think this was a situation where I probably should have either moved or  confronted them.

TordelBack

Ehhhn, all depends whether you would have prefered turning your journey into one long and trying shouting match, with the possibility of the driver stopping the bus and the tossers having a grand story for school in the morning.

I get a lot of this on my own commute, and unless it's violent (in particular strung-out parents battering small children, which is all too common), racist/sexist, or destructive of the train, or it's a situation where another more confrontational passenger needs backing up, I've taken to sticking the earphones in and cranking it up.  Although I'm always happy to point out offenders to security, too often sticking your oar in directly results in a louder but still trivial situation, with a good chance that the train will be stopped. When it's 12 journeys a week, and maybe 4 of them have some kind of a fracas, I'm just not prepared to play straight man for my comedy partners.

NapalmKev

I would have confronted them. Give them a talking-to now and they might reach Adulthood without becoming an absolute Cunt.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

TordelBack

Quote from: NapalmKev on 29 August, 2015, 11:36:07 AM
I would have confronted them. Give them a talking-to now and they might reach Adulthood without becoming an absolute Cunt.

Without corresponding sanctions at home, there is zero chance of achieving anything other than fulfilling their own ends.  They want a barney that they can throw up on whatever social media app hasn't been entirely colonised by business an/or their aunties yet.

Unless there are likely to be serious consequences (violence, harassment of the vulnerable, damage), you are better to deny them the fuel that is adult attention.

ZenArcade

They would be well not to try that shit in Belfast. People are fairly reactive up here. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

TordelBack

Quote from: ZenArcade on 29 August, 2015, 11:48:25 AM
They would be well not to try that shit in Belfast. People are fairly reactive up here. Z

Accentuate the positive!

ZenArcade

Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Theblazeuk

When I was younger and in the same age bracket, I open handed slapped one little **** who was flicking rubbish at my mate. The look of shock on his face as he burst into shocked tears was well worth it. Alas now I am older I am less happy about making teenagers cry, even if they deserve it even more.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

My honeymoon is over. Two weeks of doing fuck all in the mediterranean with the Missus are done.

However, that's not the point of this post.

When we got home, my Kindle wi-fied up and downloaded the new Terry Pratchett book.

I can go on Holiday with the Missus again, but there won't be a new Terry Pratchett book waiting for me when I get back...

You may quote me on that.

Grugz

Quote from: Mister Pops on 09 September, 2015, 11:38:51 PM
My honeymoon is over. Two weeks of doing fuck all in the mediterranean with the Missus are done.

you missed the point of the honeymoon then? ;)

.....but getting back to minor impediments,being laid up in hospital meant I missed "force Friday" so trying to find a black series first order stormtrooper at less than scalper prices is becoming hard work.
don't get into an argument with an idiot,he'll drag you down to his level then win with experience!

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,26167.0.html

DaveGYNWA

Back on-site in Macclesfield area again - quite an easy week, as the results of a security test against the environment I installed threw up a small number of issues and they were ones we were already aware of and planned to resolve this week.

The fun is in their test environment where we can't get email functionality working on the BlackBerry devices we're using - been analysing logs from the system I installed, and from the customer's test mail system, and am 100% positive that the issue is on the mail system. "Nah, no problems there...it's working fine. BlackBerry is shit mate, so that's where the problem lies"

So I borrowed his phone, set up an account to the mail system, tried to send an email.....failed (phew....that was a hail mary test)

Off they go - 10 minutes later...."There might actually be a problem on the mail servers"

In your face!!!!
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

Cyberleader2000

once again ive appalyed for a load of jobes and have not got a responce on any of them to make it worses there are no no jobes that I can do that ive not appalyed for where I live and because I'm now out of money and carnt get a job my mum has cannseled all my preorderes which is really anoying as half of them I had to stay awake all night to preorder them I need a job soon or I swere I'm going to go crazy
Pleases Vist My Blog

can you name the anime

Theblazeuk

Boilers given up the ghost. It's an ancient device but worked well till now. When the handyman came round to take a look, rusty bits of the interior fell off in his hand and water started leaking from various points. So definitely a full replacement job, which I'd hoped to avoid.

So begins the process of getting the landlord and his (idiot of a) wife to replace it. Hopefully won't be too painful, they are not bad - just she is a bit of a numpty who gets things arse backwards 90% of the time. Hopefully he'll see the email first, it's generally dead easy when it's him rather than her.

Oddly reassured to know that the gas safety check definitely hasn't been done in the last 12 months since it's not happened whilst we've been here, and that the looks of the interior suggest it probably wasn't done in the 12 months before that. Cynic that I am, it's good to have such easy legal ammunition to bring up if heels start dragging.

Banners

Car just hit by a cyclist not giving way at a junction. We stopped, I checked he was okay (he was), he apologised and then rode off without giving me any details. Big gouge down the side, but nothing I can do about it.

~sigh~