Main Menu

Life is riddled with a procession of minor impediments

Started by Bouwel, 10 August, 2009, 11:08:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Something Fishy

I've been taking it for months DrX for my eyes, I learned this similarly but thankfully it wasn't as sunny when I started taking it.

Hope you are OK.

Something Fishy

And it probably helps having the darker Cornish hue to be fair.

Tjm86

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 30 May, 2016, 11:06:50 PM
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 23 May, 2016, 11:22:19 AM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 22 May, 2016, 07:08:00 PM
They obviously gave you a negative reference because they don't want to lose you... Best of luck, though, I hope all goes well.

Yeah, that would be my guess. Ask for the reference in full.

You're entitled to this. If they don't cough up, make a request under the Data Protection Act.

Not sure if it was negative because they don't want to lose me.  Haven't really got on too well with her.  C'est la vie.  The details were fairly bland, just not overly enthusiastic.  Guess that is where the 'not a good reference' comment came from.

The offer was for a temporary contract.  Since I have a permanent contract at the moment and had an interview the next day for a permanent job as well I decided to gratefully decline.  As it turned out it was the right choice as I got the job the next day.  Much better place to work.  Management seem far more level headed (used to work with the deputy head a long time ago, she's 'good people') so all worked out for the best.

Guess this is no longer in the right thread!  Thanks anyway guys.

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Eric Plumrose

Twenty-six reports still to proofread for the Souster Woman . . . and Microsoft Word decides to uninstall itself.
Not sure if pervert or cheesecake expert.

Banners

You have my sympathy.

I always use InDesign but had to use Word to do my wife's CV the other day and struggled to even do something as simple as formatting a table. The whole program is undeniably unintuitive – before doing anything I had to hunt around for the specific icon or menu option, and then use Google for instructions.

It's unbelievable to me that so many years of development and so much money have gone into something so obviously bad. It's virtually unusable – and as I struggled through, it took me over two hours to do something which in InDesign would have taken me 10-15 minutes (and looked even better).

I am seriously thinking about setting up a support group for people who are forced to use Word.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 17 June, 2016, 11:42:09 AM
Twenty-six reports still to proofread for the Souster Woman . . . and Microsoft Word decides to uninstall itself.

Openoffice does all the important stuff that Word does.

SuperSurfer

Quote from: Banners on 17 June, 2016, 01:54:12 PM
It's unbelievable to me that so many years of development and so much money have gone into something so obviously bad.
Every time I have the bad luck of having to use that program it feels as if it's the first time.

Mardroid

Quote from: Professor Bear on 17 June, 2016, 02:27:44 PM
Quote from: Eric Plumrose on 17 June, 2016, 11:42:09 AM

I installed that on our new* work PCs due to the fact that they were bought cheaply with little preinstalled software and OpenOffice is free, and

Openoffice does all the important stuff that Word does.

Also I've used it on my home PCs (well actually I use LibreOffice on my home laptop but it seems to be more or less the same thing) and I actually find it more intuitive than Word. ( I don't have much of an issue with Word any more Banners but I know what you mean. It took me a while to get used to the icon system in the newer versions. There's a bit of that in OpenOffice, but not nearly as much and I know where I stand with the older style menu system. )

Then at work on Thursday my colleague asked me if there was a chance we could install MS word on the new PCs. And she's having issues with 'Excel** "which is just weird" .  Curiously I'm not surprised. She's not stupid by any means (hey, she finds MS Word intuitive!) but she is very much a mainstream kind of person, if that makes sense.

Part of me is a bit puzzled though. I don't find the applications all that different, and accessing everything through the old-school menu system is far more understandable than my working out what picture in which section ( and is it even available?)   is supposed to mean.

Might be showing our age differences though. I grew up on similar systems in the old Word, and this young lady is only 27 years old so likely only used the newer interfaces in her life, which to be fair have been around for a good while now.

*Relative to the old computers. This was a case of replacing old technology with less old technology because they had a newer version of Windows installed, and it was cheaper than upgrading the OS.

** She means Calc

TordelBack

Bloody kidney stone. Lying on a trolley since 430am waiting for them to decide whether to cut me open or not. I blame Neal Stephenson for my dread of this now-minor impediment, but brother this morphine stuff is the biz. Also, free wiffy!

CrazyFoxMachine

Eek - horrible stuff TB, good luck with all that. I have vivid memories of Al Swearengen's ordeal with them in the second season of Deadwood, I hope it's not nearly that harrowing (and sweary).

The Legendary Shark

Ouch - hope the ordeal's a short one, Tordels. Can't they break those things up with ultrasound these days, or did I dream it?

Either way, get well soon, fella.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

paddykafka

Ouch and feck! Sounds 'orrible, TB. Hope you'll be okay soon. Cheers to ye!

TordelBack

Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 18 June, 2016, 04:14:40 PM
Ouch - hope the ordeal's a short one, Tordels. Can't they break those things up with ultrasound these days, or did I dream it?

This had been my understanding too, but apparently not in this neck of the woods. Here they favour going up the willy with a gadget which I envisage as resembling MekQuake's neck. No thanks, matron! Excruciating experience for two hours right up to the lovely pillowy embrace of Lady Morphine when the swearing stopped. I'm afraid I lacked Al's eloquence when push came to shove.

Now it's just tea and cheese sambos  until I get to the fasting deadline. Buttonman I'm not. Missed taking my boy to the Coderdojo Expo which is a pisser, but grud bless the 21st century all the same.

Minkyboy

Ah Tordels, you are making me wince you poor fella with a poor fella.
Get well soon.
Minky
Fiddling while Rome burns

"is being made a brain in a jar a lot more comen than I think it is." - Cyberleader2000