Main Menu

Wish list.

Started by jont, 01 December, 2001, 07:35:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jont

Who would you most like to see contribute to 2000ad, that ARE NOT known for their comics work.

Mine:

Simon Pegg, Co-writer and star of Spaced.
Richard Gray, fashion illustrator for the Observer among others.
The Designers Republic, http://www.thedesignersrepublic.com/
Terry Gilliam, director, animator, illustrator, Python.

nathan

Jont,
I like all your suggestions.

Jules Verne, writer
Stanley Kubrick, writer and director
Sergei Eisenstein, writer and director
HG Wells, writer
Gustave Dore, illustrator
Michelangelo Caravaggio, painter
Andrew Wyeth, painter
Ian Pollock, illustrator

Nathan

jont

Good list, but I was more thinking of living artists.

nathan

Ah well, you did say *wish* list ;-)

Pollock's still alive. Not sure what strip he'd be best at. He did a graphic novel of King Lear in the eighties. He'd probably do an interesting Nemesis.

N

fraston

NONE OF THEM

...as if the current droids weren't enough....

F

jont

True, we're spoiled with ten pages of Steve Moore every week.

O Lucky Stevie!

stephen baxter
jeff noon
greg egan
pat cadigan
douglas coupland
douglas rushkoff (spelling?)
keith cameron

all writers of the highest order.

steven lenfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

evil.genius

William Gibson
Bruce Sterling
Ruddy Rucker
Michael Moorcock (Some novels have been adapted for comics but I don't think he has purpose written any)

Wood

Moorcock has written comix, you know... I've got a book with his (incomprehensible) adventures of Jerry Cornelius comic collected, and then there was 'Multivers', which was a major disappointment.

If I remember correctly, he actually stated out writing boy's adventure comics in the early 60s.

evil.genius

Adventures of Jerry Cornelius comes from his Cornelius short stories and I can understand you using the word "incomprehensible" his Cornelius stuff can be hard to get a grip on. The Hawkmoon, Erekose, Elrick, Corum Etc. stuff is much more accessible but still has a lot of really good ideas.

Wood

Actually, I really like the Cornelius stuff best of all, because it does have a bizarre kind of sense to it. The comic strip is just bonkers, though. It's like, how not to do a comic strip. At all.

My favourite Moorcock books are the Oswald Bastable ones.

Anyway, as for the wish list... how about getting Brendan MacArthy back? I know it's a bit of a cheat... ;)

Or what about Peter Chung (the Aeon Flux guy)? He'd be ace. I've got all the Aeon Flux shows on video. They're brilliant.

O Lucky Stevie!

yep, michael started out writing & editting 'tarzan adventures' in his late teens.

as i was walking home from the train last night i realised that both rucker & sterling were both saddly missing from my wish list.

i'd also like to add:--
terry bisson
harold waldrop, jr
jeanette winterson
vaughan oliver
margaret fiedler
andi tomas &/or jan st werner

that'll do for now

steven l'enfant terrible
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

jont

Is anyone else fucking lost with these lists?

I got most of Nathans list.
With the exception of William Gibson and Douglass Coupland(both excelent propositions)and kinda Aoen Flux(known by reputation only), I was lost every thing else so far.

Anyway,
William Gibson would be excellent if you could find the right artist

Coupland I'd say would be up for a comics gig (see the illustrations in Generation X).

I think what 2000ad needs right now are some consistant humour writers, Bill Bailey is hillarious live and would be able to bang out a good Future Shock, a story about foxes hunting voles on the back of pigs begs to be written.

O Lucky Stevie!

oh, & geoff ryman (see '253' & 'unconquered countries' in particular) should do niceley too.
plus ian (more ideas per short stoy than many authors manage in a trilogy) watson for future shocks

steven lenfant terrible

nathan

"With the exception of William Gibson and Douglass Coupland(both excelent propositions)and kinda Aoen Flux(known by reputation only), I was lost every thing else so far. "

Me too, I've never heard of most of 'em.  But when it comes to SF I'm a bit of an ignoramus.

Has anyone suggested Ben Bova? Don't know what his books are like but what a brilliant name.

N