Main Menu

Blacksad (For Grandville Lovers)

Started by Alski, 10 November, 2011, 02:38:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alski

Or maybe that should be the other way round.

I got the Blacksad hardcover trade for my birthday, completely unexpected as I hadn't ever heard of it.

It's a Spanish book, and concerns anthropomorphic animals, focusing on a Private Detective, John Blacksad, who is a cat. Think Grandville without the steampunk and you're just about there.

Anyway, it's bloody brilliant, and the art is beautiful. I would rank it up there with Grandville, which is one of my favourites, and urge anyone who likes one to get the other.

The book contains 3 stories, and is really well printed and bound.

£15.71 on AMazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/159582393X/ref=s9_simh_gw_p14_d0_g14_i1?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_s=center-5&pf_rd_r=1VKW25P34Q6SS0KYBZTD&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=467128293&pf_rd_i=468294
"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

Dark Jimbo

Aye - to have Blacksad described to me, I think I'd be a bit 'meh', imagining it to be more of a 'furry' sort of thing than it is, but it's just a really classy noir played fairly straight but cast with animals. Aside from the anthropomorphism, it's set in a fairly realistic 50's America - lots of characters carrying around scars from WWII, racism and civil rights issues, a bubbling threat of communism as the Cold War kicks in - it's surprisingly dark and moody at times. Plenty of murders, gang violence, lynching, unemployment, even a wee bit of incest.

It's the art that sells it, though - it's bloody GORGEOUS, and the cartooniness of it contrasts really well with some of the darker themes. I've spent hours just poring over the pages. If there's a criticism it's that the dialogue is not all it could be - as Alski says, it was originally spanish language, and there are some really clunky, stilted lines that ring of dodgy translation issues. Otherwise, 9 out of 10.
@jamesfeistdraws

bluemeanie

HATE anthropomorphic stuff but this is one of the best and most stunning looking books I have ever read. Absolutely stunning. Couldnt recommend it enough

CrazyFoxMachine

Sigh. It looks gorgeous but I can't muster the energy for noir anthro. There's about seventy percent too much of it really.

The Adventurer

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 11 November, 2011, 12:17:26 AM
Sigh. It looks gorgeous but I can't muster the energy for noir anthro. There's about seventy percent too much of it really.
There is nothing else like Blacksad. I really need to get the Dark Horse hardcover. As I've yet to read Book 3.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Link Prime

Cheers Alski, I'd never heard of this, and will check out ASAP.
The Grandville comparison piqued my attention- any other Talbot-esqe treasure out there in the infinite multiverse?