Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skullmo

It's in very good condition, it looks hardly used!
It's a joke. I was joking.

Link Prime

That was a fantastic logo design.
Did you have it a while Dale, or a new purchase?

I'm still looking out for the Paul Marshall 'Thargs Terror Tales' original design art by the way...one of you out there must have it.
I implore you- help me complete my WAR OF THE MARSHALL'S victory!

Spikes

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 13 July, 2013, 01:52:44 PM
Some beautiful work from a Mr Richard Elson:

I go away for a few days and everyone goes into buying overdrive...

Now this is most lovely - congrats Mark!

And liking that logo Dale - nice to see little odds and sods like that.

(And i may have summat arriving soon.........)

Skullmo

Quote from: Link Prime on 15 July, 2013, 03:40:24 PM
That was a fantastic logo design.
Did you have it a while Dale, or a new purchase?

I'm still looking out for the Paul Marshall 'Thargs Terror Tales' original design art by the way...one of you out there must have it.
I implore you- help me complete my WAR OF THE MARSHALL'S victory!

I think the war of the Marshalls is heating up well! But there can be only one!

Fatboydale

Skullmo

There is a nice diceman page with slaine in that someone here may like:

http://cadencecomicart.com/art2.php?page=6441

Simon Beigh

Super excited to bag this piece. A very early Richard Elson painting. I'm not sure how much Rich actually painted, but it wasn't a lot.

Sideshow Bob

That's a very lovely piece SimeonB........   
I would say you are a 'full blown art collecting addict' now !!... :D
Instead of 'sharp' angles everywhere, it's full of curved lines....and the perspective is brilliant...I really like it !!.....and Dredds'  'scowl' is spot on....
May be a bit of criticism coming about his helmet though.......Its a 'bit flared' at the bottom..... :lol:
A great piece.......Any idea when it was painted ???...Late 80's ??...( Mk 1 Lawgiver ) ... Is it a published piece or a commission ??
Cheers...
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

hippynumber1

I love this piece; it was definitely published (prog 609) and the flared helmet is a loving homage to Brendan McCarthy - don't knock it!  ;)

Simon Beigh

Cheers Bob and Hipster. Yeah, fully addicted alright! Just about keeping my head above the financial water!

Rich produced this sometime in 1988, not long after his first Future Shock for the Prog. It wasn't commissioned, he just drew it and sent it to Richard Burton (the then editor of 2000 AD). Mr Burton asked him to colour it, so it could be used as a back cover and it graced the back of Prog 609. It was used again later as a cover for a Fleetway Judge Dredd in 1991 (number 58). It is painted with acrylics. Thanks to Dale and Mr Elson himself for all this information. When I put it on CAF, I will be sure to include it.

It really is a joy to behold. I'm a sucker for the Lawmaster and I also love the perspective of the piece. Thanks for your interest, Bob, I have a few more bits and pieces to upload to CAF of Mr Elson's work when I get home tonight.

Colin YNWA

Rich Elson for me is the 2000ad artist who has developed most out them all. Still knowing pictures like this and his work on Shadows are done by him I just can't connect them to the artist I see now. Not that either style is bad, just don't see a connection, can't follow the development.

An artist like say Simon Colbey has changed loads but you can see the progress and I can relate an early piece to his current work. With Rich Elson just not the case I find it had to believe (though I don't of course doubt) they are done by the same person.

I remember someone here saying he worked on Sonic Comic for a long time, which might go some way to explaining the change.;

Simon Beigh

Rich did a very open and frank interview with Molch-R in Megazine 285 where he was honest about how his work changed. He seems to have had a few direction changes during his career, and has tried a number of new ways of drawing to try and improve himself. I will post a Blindside Dredd he drew by hand for the Prog a bit later on today. It wasn't long after that he decided to convert to digital to get his mojo back.

He did indeed draw Sonic for a number of years, often teaming up with Nigel Kitching. Mick McMahon was also a Sonic artist. In fact, on the back of one of my pieces he has sketched a Sonic out. Not sure if he was doodling or trying something new! I will photograph it and post it later when I get home.

Dandontdare

at last I can contribute to this thread! There's no way I could afford to be a collector, so the only page of original art I own is a rather nice Elson Dredd from the Hi-Ex charity auction - pic on old thread here: http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,35598.msg666884.html#msg666884

Simon Beigh

Quote from: Dandontdare on 16 July, 2013, 12:46:49 PM
at last I can contribute to this thread! There's no way I could afford to be a collector, so the only page of original art I own is a rather nice Elson Dredd from the Hi-Ex charity auction - pic on old thread here: http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php/topic,35598.msg666884.html#msg666884

It's not all £500 pieces, Dan, there are quite a number of pieces around the £25 to £50 mark. Hippynumber1 is selling some John Cooper on eBay for £2 + P&P! The trouble is, once you start, it's pretty difficult to stop :D

Thanks for sharing your lovely Blindside piece - here's mine:

And with the sketches on the back - I'll see if Rich remembers what they were all about!

Simon Beigh

Oh - I almost forgot - a complete Tharg Terror Tale called "Krypt" written by Nigel Kitching and drawn by Mr Elson is over on CAF if you like to form an orderly queue... :)

http://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=146973

That's me done for a while, I think, unless I can flog more crap quality items on eBay :D