Main Menu

2000AD Original Art Thread

Started by J3D1, 16 May, 2010, 08:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: ming on 17 July, 2013, 09:33:00 PM
That's quite nice, Mark... :)  I saw it on eBay and despite being a teeny tiny bit tempted (mainly 'cos I'm a sucker for the Future Shocks logo) I skipped it.  Nice to see it found a good home, anyway!

I saw it too, put in an early max bid of about 50 quid and forgot about it.
Nice page- I'm surprised it went for so much though!

Spikes

Quote from: ming on 17 July, 2013, 09:33:00 PM
'cos I'm a sucker for the Future Shocks logo

Aye, gotta love that logo. Gotta love those old Future Shocks - full stop. Great page Mark - and a complete story to boot! Good stuff.

Recrewt

Well, I have lurked around this thread for a while but not really had anything to add.  Then Dale decided to put some more stuff on ebay, and I decided to buy my first orginal art piece:

Rogue Trooper painted by John Burns 2000ad 850 pg 14.  This page is a photocopy of simon Coleby inks artwork, it was then painted over by John Burns (the colourist, not the artist who has been doing SinDex recently - thanks to Dale for that clarification).

Not as impressive as some items we have seen here recently but I love it and the colours are really vivid.  I think this would look good on the wall. 

Link Prime

Very nice Recrewt.
And I was a fan of Colbey even back then too!

SuperSurfer

Boy, that Coleby droid really came good, didn't he. No offence to your fine piece Recrewt but he has to be one of the most improved artists ever.

"John Burns (the colourist)" – guess that's the fella who coloured some of the 2000AD Eagle reprints. Don't think I knew there was two of 'em.

Simon Beigh

Welcome to the newest original artwork recruit, Recrewt (I thank you :) ). Make sure you get yourself a CAF page and display you new art proudly! Plenty of lovely, experienced people on this thread helped me out when I got started. Best tip was given to me by Judge Jack which was to invest in some art folders in order to store your work in the best condition.

Happy collecting!

hippynumber1

Quote from: SimeonB on 22 July, 2013, 06:58:26 PM
Best tip was given to me by Judge Jack which was to invest in some art folders in order to store your work in the best condition.

Screw that! Frame that sucker and hang it on the damn wall!

Sideshow Bob

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 22 July, 2013, 07:33:21 PM
Quote from: SimeonB on 22 July, 2013, 06:58:26 PM
Best tip was given to me by Judge Jack which was to invest in some art folders in order to store your work in the best condition.

Screw that! Frame that sucker and hang it on the damn wall!

Yep, I'm with Hippynumber1 on this.........
Recrewt, get it framed and on the wall.....
Great art shouldn't be 'tucked away' in a folder.......It should be on display for all to see......
And a great 'first piece' to start your collecting with !!
Cheers...
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Spikes

Dont come crying to me, when your precious art becomes an advert for invisible ink,  ;)

COMMANDO FORCES

Store art in a folder
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I do apologise, it should surely all be framed and on your wall. That would be like buying a car and keeping it in the garage FOREVER!

Spikes

Anyway, getting back to original art - here's my new Apocalypse War DPS.

Nice, innit..

COMMANDO FORCES

Frank

Judge Jack's right; most artists seem to use water based inks, at least for large areas of black, and that stuff's unstable even if it's locked in a drawer and coated with some kind of UV-proof art stop. If you've been spending the good weather watching the late evening sun crawl across your dining room wall and illuminate a treasured page of framed art, you've been watching the slow destruction of something you love.

Paint's the same, even acrylic and even if sprayed with art stop; no gallery in the world displays any painting in even indirect natural light, and certainly not 24 hours a day. If you want something for public display, do what museums do and have a reproduction done on good quality paper, and save appreciating the original for when you take it out of its folder. Wonks you have round for dinner won't know the difference - I had one of Tom Frame's prints of Bolland's Dark Judges cover stuck to my wall with blu-tac and folk used to think it was the original.

I know the above makes me no fun at all, but if you've bought a page of published art which others value, you're not its owner, you're its custodian.

hippynumber1

And while it's in my custody it's staying on the wall where I can enjoy it!  And trust me when I say no sunlight touches my walls...

Spikes

Didnt know you had a Fiends of the Eastern Front page,  ;)