Main Menu

Mike Oeming Drawing Dredd/Interesting Dredd Costume Point

Started by Will I. Cooling, 29 January, 2005, 03:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will I. Cooling

Mike Oeming drawing Dredd has been confirmed on the Bendis messageboard by the man himself. He also in the same post raised an interesting question...:

"Posted: Jan 28, 2005 5:59 am    Post subject: Judge Dredd a NAZI?  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im doing a short Dredd story and for the first time I noticed the lightening strikes on his goggles arent lightening strikes

THey are the SS symbols!

I know he was a fascist, but a Nazi? what do you think, am I crazy? "

So...what do you think?

Will

The I is for 'I can't remember the password to my other account' or Ian. One or the other.

Bolt-01

They are just a stylised light reflection. It is just a similarity thats all.

Bolt-01

shazhughes

yup after all these years someone has got it and it took a yank to do it, weve all been caught out, those ligtning strikes or plain comic light reflections are really nazi symbols and I admit that my gas cooker isn't just a gas cooker.

Dan Kelly

Bugger, there goes my Football team.

Made a punt on him writing something...

Oh well.  Good new anyway ;)

Dan

Max Kon

I think it was probably one of the early artists, even carlos, making a joke, and it's just stuck, like the chin

Smiley

That SS in-joke is old news. Once they hear how Ezquerra based the eagle on Franco's pesetas or about how Mike McMahon was apparently convinced that Dredd was black, then they'll be really confused.

CraveNoir

Of the major artists of the first few years...

Mcmahon did the 'SS' visor highlight from the beginning. It became almost totally pervasive in his Dredd work from the Cursed Earth onwards.

Gibson usually did his own thing, avoiding any kind of 'S' most of the time.

Bolland used a reverse 'SS' 99% of the time.

Ron Smith used both.

Ezquerra had a more jagged version of the 'SS' when he did The Apocalypse war.

Although Ezquerra may have used the peseta for reference on a stylised eagle, I've always thought  it was there to echo Rome, the Reich, as well as the country that created the Judges.

By the way, the Eagle on the badge and buckle always used to face to the wearer's left. My pet rationale is that it's like the myth of the Eagle on the Presidential Seal turning its head to the direction of the quiver clutched in its left claw instead of the laurel in its right outside of peacetime.

Oh, and the new style Dredd logo with the tiny black eagle head is crap. It looks like the Philadelphia Eagles symbol.. and it's facing the wrong way!