Main Menu

Star Trek returning to television. Sort of.

Started by von Boom, 02 November, 2015, 04:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

It seems a new Star Trek series has been given the go ahead for début in January 2017. Unfortunately it's on CBS' VoD service.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/star-trek-tv-series-works-828638

TordelBack

Dear grud, from the co-writer of STID. I can think of nothing worse.

Dreddzilla

Quote from: Tordelback on 02 November, 2015, 06:12:30 PM
Dear grud, from the co-writer of STID. I can think of nothing worse.
Forget about Berman and Braga already?

TordelBack

Later Berman Trek is tired and embarrassing, no question, but everyone involved in nosediving the promising reboot into the septic tank that is STID should get a lifetime ban.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Tordelback on 02 November, 2015, 06:36:08 PM
Later Berman Trek is tired and embarrassing, no question, but everyone involved in nosediving the promising reboot into the septic tank that is STID should get a lifetime ban.

Agreed. I was excited by the headline, disappointed by the names involved.

Although, come on now TB he's not just known for Into Darkness, he also co-wrote Cowboys & Aliens, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, Ender's Game and The Amazing Spider-Man 2! Lets not tar him too readiy eh? :S

IAMTHESYSTEM

Isn't the next film a return to ST:TOS with the Enterprise crew going on some 5 year franchise 'to boldly go where no one has gone before?'  Perhaps this new Trek will follow the Movie theme too though isn't that what ST Voyager did before as well?  They had to get pneumatic bosoms in to keep that series going.   
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Mardroid

To be fair to Jeri Ryan, that costume might have given her extra lift, (it's basically a corset under there) but her bossoms are natural.

Your point stands though. I genuinely though the stories got a lot better after she joined as well though, but there's no doubt they played the titillation (no pun intended) card with her costume. Although I genuinely liked the character's, er, character. Credit to her for being a full three dimensional character.... and why does that sentence seem like an innuendo....

HdE

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 02 November, 2015, 08:04:32 PM

Although, come on now TB he's not just known for Into Darkness, he also co-wrote Cowboys & Aliens, Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, Ender's Game and The Amazing Spider-Man 2! Lets not tar him too readiy eh? :S

But I like Cowboys And Aliens!

Otherwise... fair point. Well made.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Tiplodocus

I should be excited by this.

But I'm not.

"bossoms"?  Is that a Borg implant?  Similarly, with T'POL in Enterprise.  very obviously the FHM friendly face of the show but her chararacter was great; her raised eyebrow acting giving Roger Moore a run for his money.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

The Legendary Shark

The thing about Star Trek for me was that the ideal was greater than the ideas used to portray it. I love ST, and always will, but a lot of it is borderline crap, story and entertainment wise. In this area, I think Babylon 5 beats Trek hands-down in every area.
My favourite Trek series is Enterprise because here the ST ideals are embryonic and vague. We know what we want them to be and what they're going to be - but how the Hell to get there? I enjoyed the "making this up as we go" approach and the relatively feeble Enterprise just diving into the deep end. I thought Enterprise came closest to capturing the core spirit of the Trek universe.
My second favourite is DS9 for the opposite reason. Here the Trek ideal doesn't altogether work and is often an impediment. If Enterprise was about figuring out how to achieve the Trek ideal, DS9 was about how to maintain it. (Also; Dax.)
Then it's TOS then TNG. TOS is TOS but TNG, whilst delivering so very much to admire and enjoy, was a bit muddled and always vaguely disappointing.
Of the films, some are excellent and some are dire but I have enjoyed both the rebooted films. Perhaps I'm biased because Enterprise, my favourite Trek series, is the only one that's still in the modern 'canon...'
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

JamesC

Dandontdare

The Legendary Shark

Oh yes - hmmm, I wonder why that was? It had Year of Hell, one of my most beloved Treks, and a couple of other interesting points. Voyager was very disappointing to me as a series. If any series could have benefited from the B5 approach, it's Voyager.
Last on my list, I'm afraid.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

TordelBack

Is Enterprise in the post-2009 'canon'? Wouldn't Riker and Troi's role in the finale mess that up?  Or maybe it wouldn't, since TNG could conceivably share the same past up to the arrival of Nero's ship.

The Legendary Shark

...And then there's that whole alternate futures, parallel universes and "it was all a dream" bag of worms.
Then there's that mirror-universe Enterprise episode with the Shatkirk timeline starship...
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]