Main Menu

Discovered / rediscovered music thread

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 16 April, 2009, 12:12:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nxylas

Currently listening to One In A Thousand by Obey Robots, a collaboration between Laura Kidd (Penfriend, She Makes War) and Rat from Ned's Atomic Dustbin, which is out today. And a ghafflebette album it is too.
AIEEEEEE! It's the...THING from the HELL PLANET!

8bitDredd

I'd recommend Alter Bridge and their new album Pawns & Kings album to listen to.

Proper rock music.
Regards,
L.

Barrington Boots

I'm currently reading the FF book Star Strider and the song Star Rider by Hallas is now constantly in my head.
For anyone that likes Hawkwind, Witchcraft, Blue Oyster Cult and beautiful 70s inspired music I give you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbfsALc7pPc
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Tjm86

Possibly not to the tastes of many boarders (but I may be wrong), have just stumbled across a Chumbawamba album that is absolutely fascinating.  English Rebel Songs 1381 - 1984 is so utterly different to the tracks most folks probably remember them for, is arguably more reminiscent of Steeleye Span. 

It is as political as its title suggests, literally performing protest songs of the ages acapella.  It presents a rich seam of British history, highlighting the struggles of different groups down through the years.  It's a fascinating listen.

JohnW

Rediscovered,
The Jimi Hendrix Experience: Live at Winterland
The summer we were nineteen my buddy and myself were starving for fun and profit in a rented room near Kensal Green cemetery. The place was small for a room but large for an ashtray. We didn't have much but we had two cartons of duty-free fags to keep us until we found work. There was a chip shop and an off-licence on the corner to see to our other needs.
My buddy had taste. This is one of the tapes he had.
I do not smoke or drink anymore and I eat my vegetables. I am listening to this in digitally-remastered-whatever-format played on a computer rather than cheap magnetic tape played on a bottom-of-the-range stereo.
My life lacks its former vitality and colour.
But Hendrix still fucking shreds.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Merlinnnnn

Quote from: Tjm86 on 20 May, 2023, 07:03:01 PMPossibly not to the tastes of many boarders (but I may be wrong), have just stumbled across a Chumbawamba album that is absolutely fascinating.  English Rebel Songs 1381 - 1984 is so utterly different to the tracks most folks probably remember them for, is arguably more reminiscent of Steeleye Span. 

It is as political as its title suggests, literally performing protest songs of the ages acapella.  It presents a rich seam of British history, highlighting the struggles of different groups down through the years.  It's a fascinating listen.

My hardened leftist girlfriend loves Chumbawamba because they're such a radical band. A totally different band from the one I thought they were thanks to Tubthumping. I keep meaning to give them a proper listen.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Merlinnnnn on 12 June, 2023, 12:48:35 PMMy hardened leftist girlfriend loves Chumbawamba because they're such a radical band. A totally different band from the one I thought they were thanks to Tubthumping. I keep meaning to give them a proper listen.

Maybe start with 'Anarchy' — a fantastic album with several absolute killers on it. Thanks also to Tjm86, because I was completely unaware of that Rebel Songs album...!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jim_Campbell

While I'm here...

If, like me, you've soured on Rammstein in recent years (especially in light of the recent, but sadly credible, Lindemann allegations) but have a shouty-German-metal-shaped hole in your listening habits, may I offer up my workout my playlist...?

The tracks are listed in no particular order, so just hit 'Shuffle' and you're away. By no means 100% NDH — there's some fairly melodic stuff, some of it is fairly straight rock/metal, a bit of goth-ish/gothic metal, a couple of diversions into bands that do German folk metal (I won't spoil the surprise by telling you which track has a bagpipe solo)...

Tracks here have been selected for their suitability for working out, so there's a fairly indefinable, but specific level of pace and/or aggression required to make the cut, which may not be representative of the bands' sound overall, but I find I really enjoy this stuff. Maybe you'll find some tracks you'll enjoy, too!

Spotify link (despite the thumbnail, it's not all Eisbrecher):

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0UoDIb5odd38xpGAD83zfT?si=3727fdb38aee4479

Same playlist, but for Apple Music:

https://music.apple.com/gb/playlist/ndh-mostly/pl.u-9N9LX7dCx3LqK4

rogue69

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: rogue69 on 14 July, 2023, 09:20:24 PMThe HU traditional Mongolian meets metal

Happened across these guys quite recently, and they're pretty great. :)

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: rogue69 on 14 July, 2023, 09:20:24 PMThe HU traditional Mongolian meets metal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4xZUr0BEfE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VDSG0CrY5E

Nah mate, you're putting the cart before the horse. Metal aspires to being more Mongolian.
You may quote me on that.

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 14 July, 2023, 06:19:02 PMWhile I'm here...

If, like me, you've soured on Rammstein in recent years (especially in light of the recent, but sadly credible, Lindemann allegations) but have a shouty-German-metal-shaped hole in your listening habits, may I offer up my workout my playlist...?

The tracks are listed in no particular order, so just hit 'Shuffle' and you're away. By no means 100% NDH — there's some fairly melodic stuff, some of it is fairly straight rock/metal, a bit of goth-ish/gothic metal, a couple of diversions into bands that do German folk metal (I won't spoil the surprise by telling you which track has a bagpipe solo)...

Tracks here have been selected for their suitability for working out, so there's a fairly indefinable, but specific level of pace and/or aggression required to make the cut, which may not be representative of the bands' sound overall, but I find I really enjoy this stuff. Maybe you'll find some tracks you'll enjoy, too!

Spotify link (despite the thumbnail, it's not all Eisbrecher):

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0UoDIb5odd38xpGAD83zfT?si=3727fdb38aee4479

Same playlist, but for Apple Music:

https://music.apple.com/gb/playlist/ndh-mostly/pl.u-9N9LX7dCx3LqK4

Some very good stuff here a lot of which has flown under my radar! Cheers for the recommendation compilation.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 19 July, 2023, 11:46:09 AMSome very good stuff here a lot of which has flown under my radar! Cheers for the recommendation compilation.

You're very welcome! I can't take much credit — the Spotify and Apple Music algorithms often offer up quite different recommendations, so I just pick out the stuff I like from both sets of daily suggestions and update both playlists accordingly to keep 'em in synch. I update them every couple of days, BTW, to try and keep the workout soundtrack from getting too samey.

I'm particularly enjoying Maschinist's thoroughly menacing take on NDH at the moment — they even manage the impressive feat of taking a pretty inoccuous mid-90s euro dance hit and making it sound like an exhortation to fuck some shit up.  :D

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]