Main Menu

Dredd (2012)

Started by Goaty, 06 September, 2011, 11:51:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

I have zero interest in the FF film itself, but the fallout around it continues to be fascinating. Sounds like the whole project was misconceived from the word go. It really highlights the inherent dangers with this current trend of handing these enormous productions to inexperienced young directors.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/fantastic-four-blame-game-fox-814764

Dandontdare

but it's not a terrible movie, just a bit ... dull. I don't think it deserves the panning it's getting - when nerds scent blood, there's no mercy!

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Dandontdare on 13 August, 2015, 07:48:27 PM
but it's not a terrible movie, just a bit ... dull.

Yeah; whatever about its odd tone for a film called Fantastic 4, it's like they forgot to make the middle of the story and butt-joined the beginning to the end.

radiator

I haven't seen it, but have heard that Fox drastically slashed the budget on the eve of filming and demanded three key action sequences be cut from the movie. Could be why (as I've heard) the film awkwardly jumps to 'One Year Later...' after the first act...

A.Cow

Quote from: radiator on 13 August, 2015, 06:23:30 PMIt really highlights the inherent dangers with this current trend of handing these enormous productions to inexperienced young directors.

Thank goodness they didn't do that kind of thing back in 1995.

GordonR

2000AD connection - Mark Millar was hired by Fox as a consultant on their Marvel superhero franchises.  He's definitely talked about his work on the X movies, but seems to have been uncharacteristicallly quiet about what his  input was on the FF.

Goaty

Quote from: GordonR on 14 August, 2015, 09:24:32 AM
2000AD connection - Mark Millar was hired by Fox as a consultant on their Marvel superhero franchises.  He's definitely talked about his work on the X movies, but seems to have been uncharacteristicallly quiet about what his  input was on the FF.

I wonder why.

I hear some things like director chosen the leading actor and studio chosen leading lady. oh dear...

IAMTHESYSTEM

I read on some obscure website that Marvel had a formula to these Movies and you couldn't change what you were handed by the script writers. Joss Weedon apparently wanted Wasp to appear in Avengers but was told it had to be Black Widow and consequently had to work without his preference. I guess if you are a studio gambling millions of dollars on a Movie you want a lot of control into what is filmed and edited.
"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

IndigoPrime

Given the butchery and changes that happened with Ant-Man, it's pretty clear the 'Marvel' plan supersedes anything anyone else wants to do. Frankly, though, I'm getting tired with the complexity. It's starting to become effort and remind me of why I gave up with superhero comics. Also, Agents of Fucking SHIELD crossing over with Avengers 2 really pissed me off.

Easily rewritten scene that didn't need to link to Avengers 2
COULSON: Throwaway line of dialogue that tells you the ending of Avengers 2.

THANKS, COULSON! THANKS, MARVEL! It's not like your fucking movie is STILL playing in theatres! It's not like some of us have young babies and wait for rentals. Idiots.

GordonR

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 14 August, 2015, 10:45:03 AM
THANKS, COULSON! THANKS, MARVEL! It's not like your fucking movie is STILL playing in theatres! It's not like some of us have young babies and wait for rentals. Idiots.

They're idiots for making sure that their TV series that's a spin-off of the first Avengers film ties into the second Avengers film, and for doing something that doesn't suit your very specific set of personal circumstances?  Really?

IndigoPrime

in this case, yes because they spoilered the ending to a film that was still showing in theatres at the time, and with dialogue that could have been avoided entirely. It was such a throwaway line by Coulson and the series would have lost nothing without it. Smarter scripting could have avoided Coulson basically turning to camera and going: "Man, you REALLY should have watched Avengers 2 by now, so fuck you if you haven't. Here's the ending!"

Of course, if studios actually had the balls to put their content out to digital home services far more rapidly, even at very heavily inflated price-points, this could be avoided. But almost none of them do.

Jim_Campbell

Given the butchery and changes that happened with Ant-Man, it's pretty clear the 'Marvel' plan supersedes anything anyone else wants to do.

And yet Ant-Man is a thoroughly entertaining film, with a distinct tone and set of values that are appropriate to the property, that has been generally well-reviewed and made a decent amount of money. I suspect Marvel are feeling pretty confident with that plan...

Quotein this case, yes because they spoilered the ending to a film that was still showing in theatres at the time, and with dialogue that could have been avoided entirely.

Given that AoS Season 1 spoilered the shit out of Winter Soldier, that shouldn't really have come as a surprise...

Cheers!

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Goaty

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 14 August, 2015, 11:38:21 AM
Given that AoS Season 1 spoilered the shit out of Winter Soldier, that shouldn't really have come as a surprise...

Funny that what saved the AoS series.

Professor Bear

How do you spoiler a film about some heroes trying to stop the end of the world if you know it has two sequels coming up and about a dozen spin-off movies and two spin-off tv shows and counting?  I mean, it's pretty clear the world is still there if a dozen films and a half dozen tv shows are happening in it, I don't see why it would be a surprise if someone points it out.

I do find the hubub around Fantfourstic to be amusing, but I've also heard that what the director did that lines up with his other work is just fine and it looks really nice.  There does seem to be a dedicated effort to create a narrative that lays blame at his feet for what is clearly a studio cock-up (unless I am totally incorrect in my assumption that an action movie needs to have action scenes), and the entertainment media seem more than happy to join in with accounts from "multiple sources close to the movie" keen to point out how a first-timer built like a scarecrow held off a multi-billion dollar studio to personally hold actors down and force them to be shit.
I don't doubt there's blame to be had on multiple fronts, but the way it seems to be being dumped on the one person who probably had the least amount of power in the whole production seems dubious at best.

Stan

Quote from: radiator on 14 August, 2015, 01:27:08 AM
I haven't seen it, but have heard that Fox drastically slashed the budget on the eve of filming and demanded three key action sequences be cut from the movie. Could be why (as I've heard) the film awkwardly jumps to 'One Year Later...' after the first act...

I'm now thinking The Thing's plane jump scene from the trailer was only partially finished. Hence a very small clip of it being shown on a monitor rather than giving us the whole thing. No Fantasticar team play either since that apparently wasn't finished. I really wonder if the savings they made were worth it. Particularly since the re-shoots must've cost a few bob and were completely unimpressive. Though we'll probably never know which version of the film was better.

Given the butchery and changes that happened with Ant-Man, it's pretty clear the 'Marvel' plan supersedes anything anyone else wants to do. Frankly, though, I'm getting tired with the complexity. It's starting to become effort and remind me of why I gave up with superhero comics. Also, Agents of Fucking SHIELD crossing over with Avengers 2 really pissed me off.

Easily rewritten scene that didn't need to link to Avengers 2
COULSON: Throwaway line of dialogue that tells you the ending of Avengers 2.

Yeah, that's really annoying and I'm a fan of SHIELD. As well as Goaty's mention of Winter Soldier, it may have happened during Thor Dark World too (not certain). It's quite jarring and unnecessary and just makes the series feel like it's there to completely serve the movies, which it isn't even obliged to as far as I've read. I can only imagine how mess things are going to get during Infinity War.