Main Menu

Question to Scottish readers

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 07 December, 2002, 07:48:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Why is your country so shit?

Only joking - I've never even been there, and I believe it's quite nice.

My real question is this: When Middenface McNulty speaks in 2000ad, does it actually suggest a Scottish accent to you?  Wagner and Grant being from Scotland, I imagine it's pretty convincing; Glasgow, i'd guess.  Am I right, kidsamurai, Strontium Doug or any other Scots people out there?

I only ask because Finnigan Sinister's accent tends to be a million miles away from any Irish accent I've ever heard, although it is fairly funny in its Darby O'Gill-ness.  Maybe it's the Downlode influence. And what is a Downlode accent anyway? Rocky, Tracy, Billy and so on seem to talk like yanks.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

2000AD Online

i hear people talking like that all the time here in darnley especially

Tu-plang

You know I wouldn't call anything in SinDex realistic.  Wouldn't call it good either.

Demon Chicken

It is certainly a form of glaswegian dialect.  But again the glaswegian dialect varies quite dramatically over the whole city.  There are certainly some phrases in common usage and other much more local one used.

Your East coast Scotsman

DC

2000AD Online

in my area its chewing the fat (gonnae no dae that) kind of dialect

karne

Is that a Tonberry your'e holding in your photo KS? or are you just pleased to see us?

2000AD Online

ha ha ha

yes it is indeed a tonberry from my private collection of assorted final fantasy stuff and here is that horrid pic again i really need a better pichttp://www.imgstudio.com/IMGphotos/2002/November/26/stamp_original/1126200212002759.jpg">

Queen Firey-Bou

my area has a very soft lilty accent, shackett in stead offf Jacket, but thats dying out , & even tho my parents eengleeshness still comes thru in my accent, we all use those turns of phrase, "awa & keech yursel fannibaws" & so on, i niver naw whits a scoatteesh thing & whits prog speak, ken. folks jist look at us auffie weerd onywey. (damn thats aberdonian eh?)

JayzusB.Christ

I hadn't realised so many of you were Scotch.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Slippery PD

Heh, heres another one.  

In addition I think the Scots accents arent too bad in 2000ad, probably due to the fact that a large minority of the writers are scots......

Scotch is also a drink....

Glasgow itself does have a number of dialects, however, its easier to think of these as a Glasgow accent, a glasgow "suburbs" accent and the west coast accent as spoken by the weedgies........  Thats about it.

Yer "shy am I aswering a scottish thread when I no longer live in Scotland" Slippo

JayzusB.Christ

'Scotch is also a drink.... '

Heehee. To quote the greatest film ever made, 'Uh noo yoo'd say dat!'

McNulty

There is a newspaper printed in Scotland called The Sunday Post, which for decades has had a couple of cartoons featuring characters with exactly the same dialect as our Middenface.
A particular character, called "Oor Wullie" has distinctive spiky hair. I suspect this character was the inspiration for Middenface.

Link: //www.users.totalise.co.uk/~rjamieson/Cal-Hab/index.html" target="_blank">The A-Z of Cal-Hab

El Spurioso

I've always wondered at the distinction between 'Scotch' and 'Scottish'.  I vaguely recall being told that scottish people had a right bug up their arse about being called scotch, despite the usage of it in things like Scotch-broth, scotch-pancakes and, ah, 'scotch'.

So come on then, you crazy kilties, what's the story?  Why is one thing scotch and another thing scottish?  Eh?  EH?

McNulty

"Crazy Kilties!"

Ah'm nae takin' that kind of insult lying doon! Richt lads, hud ma jackit, he's claimed!

Seriously, being called "Scotch" instead of "Scottish" IS quite the bugbear for us Scots. I believe it would be likened to a thing, for the proper usage of the word Scotch is applied only to the inanimate, mostly foods.
For me it is on par with the ignorant pronouncing "Loch" as "Lock." Something no true Scot would ever do.

McNulty

Thanks to Karne, I was able to obtain an image of said Wullie, so you can judge for yourselves the similaries to McNulty.

http://www.users.totalise.co.uk/~rjamieson/pictures/Oor Wullie 01.GIF">