Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Not sure where to post this, but...  (Read 804 times)

JayzusB.Christ

• Bionic Fingers
  • Squealing meat.
    • View Profile
Not sure where to post this, but...
« on: 16 December, 2020, 12:53:15 PM »
Just an interesting little prog-related story.  I went to get my laptop fixed yesterday - the twins in the shop got it working in seconds, and the screen was showing a page from Deadworld that I hadn't closed down (could have been way worse, it being my laptop, and, well, anyway).

The brother who was looking at it asked me if I read 2000ad.  Then he showed me photos of his living room, which was covered with framed, original pages from the Horned God; and the other twin had as many in his own house. 

He then showed me Bisley's name in the contact list in his phone - they'd become friendly with him through their fandom, had been out for pints with him a few times, and still kept in touch.  They'd got into the prog through Bisley's art on Sláine, and had got very much involved - as teenagers, they'd also ended up in the pub with Grant Morrison, Mark Millar and Rian Hughes (and yeah, Grant was a bit up himself in those days).

Great to meet fellow squaxxes by accident.  In fact, one of you boarders may be one of them - if so, now you know who I am, and thanks for fixing my laptop :)
“Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest”

TordelBack

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • Droning on and on relentlessly since the 70s
    • View Profile
Re: Not sure where to post this, but...
« Reply #1 on: 16 December, 2020, 01:05:55 PM »
You didn't happen to get an address,  what times they're at work,  alarm code etc...? No particular reason.

JayzusB.Christ

• Bionic Fingers
  • Squealing meat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 December, 2020, 01:21:44 PM »
 :lol:
“Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest”

sheridan

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
    • Wilde Wood
« Reply #3 on: 16 December, 2020, 01:24:47 PM »
Just an interesting little prog-related story.  I went to get my laptop fixed yesterday - the twins in the shop got it working in seconds, and the screen was showing a page from Deadworld that I hadn't closed down (could have been way worse, it being my laptop, and, well, anyway).

"get laptop fixed",  "twins", "the screen was showing" - yep - that could have gone in a completely different direction ;)

AlexF

• Evil Cyborg
    • View Profile
    • Heroes of 2000AD blog
« Reply #4 on: 16 December, 2020, 01:57:44 PM »
I've had a couple of occasions when I've provoked an exicted "oooh, I remember that!" from people in the outside world when I'm wearing a 2000AD T-shirt. Especially the Prog 1 cover T-shirt for some reason. I mean, it's kind of a lousy cover but clearly had and still has cultural resonance.

And now that I know for sure people DO register what;'s on a T-shirt, I've been a little wary of waring my Torquemada 'Death to Deviants' number in case it draws oohs of approval from the wrong crowd...

shaolin_monkey

• Battle Hardened War Robot
  • Bananas For The Win!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 December, 2020, 02:30:15 PM »
Aye, 2900AD and Dredd tees are great social currency.

For a few years after the release of ‘Dredd’ my LastExit Justice Department tee provoked conversations about how great the film was from randoms in shops, pubs, restaurants etc etc.

Dandontdare

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 December, 2020, 02:47:18 PM »
Someone once shouted NEMESIS! at me from across the road when they saw my tee shirt

Rately

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 December, 2020, 03:36:44 PM »
Fantastic stuff!

Those Horned God pages must be worth a fortune.

wedgeski

• Prog Stacking Droid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 December, 2020, 05:19:53 PM »
Dammit I have *never* had a 2000AD reference picked up by a rando squaxx!

Rogue Judge

• Posting Machine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 December, 2020, 06:27:27 PM »
That is a cool encounter! I run into the odd Dredd fan but nobody who knows anything else about 2000ad. What a glorious day it would be to geek out about Strontium Dog or Rogue Trooper with a stranger.

JayzusB.Christ

• Bionic Fingers
  • Squealing meat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 December, 2020, 07:28:02 PM »
I remember years and years ago I was on a bus and had just finished my prog.  I heard a cautious-sounding North Dublin voice behind me go, 'D'yeh moind if Oi have a read of yer Two Tewsand AD?'  It's a long time ago and I don't remember the details, but I remember a nice long squaxx-to-squaxx chat resulted from that too.

Colin YNWA

• CALL-ME-KENNETH!
  • testing testing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 December, 2020, 07:28:38 PM »
That's a great story. The caretaker at my kids school copped me in some 2000ad garb or other a few years ago now and revealed he was a Squaxx dek Thargo and a fan of other comics. I now regularly stop and chat when I see him about all things nerd.

Link Prime

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 December, 2020, 02:02:23 PM »
Great post Jayzus.

I have a fair idea who the brothers are based on their Comic Art Fans gallery.

Mardroid

• Bionic Fingers
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 December, 2020, 01:37:02 AM »
Some years ago, I went to a Starbucks with a female friend and I was wearing the movie Dredd baseball cap. The guy who served me remarked on the cap. Turns out he is a member of a cosplay group and in the process of making his own Judge uniform. Instead of taking our names he wrote ‘Dredd’ on my disposable cup and ‘Anderson’ on my friend’s .