Main Menu

2000ad characters and their accents

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 10 January, 2021, 08:08:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

Totally unimportant of course, but often when I'm reading prog dialogue I try to imagine how a character sounds. Dredd isn't a big problem - Karl Urban nailed it, in my book.

Johnny Alpha? Hard to know. I think the excellent short film of a few years ago is probably as close as you'll get - kind of posh London, him being a politician's son. (Though Johnny's speech patterns in recent years are far more English-sounding than his old cowboy talk.).

Is Durham Red from Durham? I think so, given that Wagner and Grant changed her name from Chelsea Blue because they didn't want her to have a Chelsea accent.

Danny Franks - we don't know what country he's from, but i would guess he'd have a similar accent to Johnny's.  Kano - no idea. Maybe he sounds like Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now.

Rogue Trooper for me is American.  Don't know why - because he's a soldier I suppose, and most war films feature Americans.

Dante - I don't know. Can't really imagine him having a Russian accent. Or is he actually speaking Russian all the time, kindly translated for the reader? The British and American characters seem to understand him ok. Maybe they all speak Russian too.  Or maybe it's a Sláine thing, where the Irish tribe speak the same language as Egyptian invaders, just because.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

For me, Dredd will always be Clint Eastwood with nails in his throat.

Alpha's Ray Winstone doing an impersonation of Clint Eastwood.

Hammerstein is a sat-nav programmed with the voice of Clint Eastwood.

Tharg is Joe Pesci.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

dweezil2

I've always read Dredd in the voice of Clint Eastwood and as Karl Urban was pretty much doing an Eastwood impersonation in the Dredd movie, it's Urban's voice too now!!! :thumbsup: :D
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Andrew_J

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Funt Solo on 10 January, 2021, 09:29:18 PM
Quote from: The Legendary Shark on 10 January, 2021, 08:28:33 PM
Tharg is Joe Pesci.

Thrilling how? Like I'm here to thrill you?

For some reason i mixed up Joes Pesci and Pasquale for a few seconds there.  Reminds me of someone on the board a few years ago thinking Morgan Freeman was going to play Bilbo Baggins.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

IndigoPrime

If going from what the creators have stated, Alpha has a somewhat upper class English accent, although he might have shielded that as he entered the resistance.

Dante: I suppose it depends whether future-Russia's dominance extended to language. My guess is that certain languages (in particular, English, Chinese and Spanish) would be so entrenched by then that there would be no shifting them.

rogue69

Bill Savage during Invasion would have a classic harsh East London accent, but during Savage I see him with more of a Michael Caine style accent

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

Johnny Alpha for me is a Brummie. Bill Savage is Ronnie Barker in Porridge. Dredd sounds like Karl Urban now- which annoys me a bit. Interestingly, Slaine is never Irish, oddly, but sounds a lot like me.

SBT

IndigoPrime

Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 11 January, 2021, 01:00:43 PMInterestingly, Slaine is never Irish, oddly, but sounds a lot like me.
"The rain in Spain falls mainly on the Sláine."

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 11 January, 2021, 01:17:20 PM
Quote from: SmallBlueThing(Reborn) on 11 January, 2021, 01:00:43 PMInterestingly, Slaine is never Irish, oddly, but sounds a lot like me.
"The rain in Spain falls mainly on the Sláine."

Rawnyeh? Spawnyeh? What are these strange English things you speak of?  Sadly Sláine doesn't sound much like me, apart from the accent - I'm way too quiet and mumbly to hurl elaborate insults at my foes when I'm in battle (though I had a good shot at it when I was a Vikings extra).

I've just remembered that John Wagner says Johnny Alpha sounds a bit like Daniel Craig, which is good enough for me.

TordelBack

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 11 January, 2021, 02:04:43 PM
I've just remembered that John Wagner says Johnny Alpha sounds a bit like Daniel Craig, which is good enough for me.

Odd, when his Dad clearly sounds like Nigel Farage.

Woolly

For me, Johnny Alpha sounds like Clive Owen.

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

Barrington Boots

Quote from: Woolly on 11 January, 2021, 02:29:26 PM
For me, Johnny Alpha sounds like Clive Owen.

Good one!
I always thought Alpha would sound like a posh bloke putting on a tough voice, a bit like Damien Lewis in The Escapist.
You're a dark horse, Boots.