Main Menu

Forum’s Favourite Thrill - Joe Black vs Ulysses Sweet - Round 1 Heat 37

Started by Colin YNWA, 24 November, 2021, 06:19:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Week... eerrrr is anyone keeping count anymore? (well yes I am its 5) and you know what if I said Week 4 was a step up in quality, well I'd suggest this week is even better. See what you reckon...

I wanted to say both of these started as Future Shocks - then I realised they probably didn't. So I checked and it turns out both of them actually did... so... Both these thrills started out as Future Shocks but went on to be their own thing. Only one came back recently.

Which most rattles your thrill-receptors:

A Joe Black Adventure - more info

Vs.

Ulysses Sweet - more info

Just reply in this thread naming your favourite thrill of these two series at the beginning of your post (or use Bold tags so I can spot it easily) and say what you like about these wonderful stories after that.

Match ends early on the morning of Saturday 27th November and the winner gets a place in Round 2 (of 9!!!).

What on Earth is ALL of this?

For those that need 'um and can be bothered to follow 'um there's some simple rules

Any questions, just ask as ever - and have FUN!

O Lucky Stevie!

Kelvin Gosnell and John Higgins channeling Golden Age SF? Joe Black in a heartbeat.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

broodblik

Joe Black which I cannot remember because I just cannot like Ulysses Sweet
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

abelardsnazz

I remember finding Fruitcake and Veg uproariously funny when it was in the Prog - Monsieur Fear, King Edward etc. - so going with Ulysses Sweet.

AlexF

As a set of individual tales, the Joe Blacks are reliably smart and of course well-drawn. Possibly a bit derivative of Sci Fi short stories (as opposed to any other Future Shocks  ::)) Ulysses Sweet can't always claim to be smart or even well drawns BUT when it's funny, it's really very funny, and I'm always going to defend creators going for it as much as they can.

That said, those Spud jokes and the concept of 'rockatarianism'  from the very first Sweet story are still the best jokes. It occurs to me that nuSweet is 2000AD's version of Deadpool, for all the good and bad that implies...

Anyway, I'm voting Ulysses Sweet.

Barrington Boots

Another vote here for Ulysses Sweet. Very hit and miss but I think when it hit, it hit. The first story is surprisingly funny and I was very amused by the callback where the bloke got squashed by a whale in the first Guy Adams tale.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

rogue69

sheridan

Joe black it was a sad day when I realised my prog slog had reached the sixth and final Adventure.

Huey2

Funt Solo

++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Link Prime

Southstreeter

Sweet was a decent joke, but strung it out for far too long. Always liked Joe Black though.

Colin YNWA

Just a day to go, which do you prefer the adventures if a Rat or a psycho for hire. Vote today and I'll count up in the morning.