Main Menu

Best Judge Dredd strips of 2022 (prog only)

Started by broodblik, 06 January, 2023, 08:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

broodblik

Well, it looks like everything is covered excepted our favorite lawman. So it is quite easy you vote for your favorite Dredd strip that was published in 2022 in 2000AD. I also included the regen strips as well.

It works as the same as the Best of strips, so you know how it works (your top 3 strips). Let's say you have until 16th of Jan to cast your vote and as always you can vote as many times but only your last vote counts.

So here are your choices:

Prog 2263-2266 Working Girl (4 episodes) by Ken Niemand and Patrick Goddard
Prog 2267   The Dead Chief Judge's Society (1 episode) by Ken Niemand and Rob Richardson
Prog 2268   Extraordinary Deaths (1 episode) by TC Eglington and Silvia Califano
Prog 2269   5 in the Cubes (1 episode) by Arthur Wyatt and Nicolo Assirelli
Prog 2270-2279   The Citadel (10 episodes) by John Wagner and Dan Cornwell
Prog 2280 (regen) Red Medicine (1 episode) by James Peaty and Luke Horsman
Prog 2281-2286   An Honest Man (6 episodes) by Ken Niemand and Tom Foster
Prog 2287   Grinder (1 episode) by Ken Niemand and Nick Dyer
Prog 2288 (regen) Zootrapolis (1 episode) by Liam Johnson and Joel Carpenter
Prog 2289-2294   Special Relationship (6 episodes) by Rob Williams and Patrick Goddard
Prog 2295   Naked Lunch (1 episode) by Ken Niemand and Dan Cornwell
Prog 2296 (regen) Two Tribes (1 episode) by James Peaty and Luke Horsman
Prog 2297-2299   Sentientoid's Big Idea (3 episodes) by Rob Williams and Jake Lynch
Prog 2300 (meg 448)   Judgement Days and Stories (cross-over event) by various
Prog 2301   Half Smart (1 episode) by Arthur Wyatt and Dave Taylor
Prog 2302   The Pitch (1 episode) by Arthur Wyatt/Rob Williams and Boo Cook
Prog 2303-2305 & 2307-2309 Buratino Must Die (6 episodes) by Rob Williams and Henry Flint
Prog 2306 (regen) Undertow (1 episode) by Paul Starkey and Silvia Califano/G. Welsh
Prog 2310-2311   The Rematch (2 episodes - last episode double length) by Ken Niemand and Steven Austin
Prog 2312   The Last Temptation of Joe (1 episode) by Ken Niemand and Lee Carter
Prog 2312   Troublemaker (1 episode) by Gordon Rennie and Robin Smith
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

JohnW

1 Grinder
Small but perfectly formed. Made me laugh out loud.

2 Working Girl
Life in the Big Meg, and the further adventures of an instantly likeable character.

3 Sentientoid's Big Idea
Straight out fun.

Art and script perfectly complementing each other in all of the above.
Why can't everybody just, y'know, be friends and everything? ... and uh ... And love each other!

Barrington Boots

Oh, that's a really tricky vote. I might need to do a reread, but off the top of my head:

1. Working Girl - JWare nails it with his reasons as to why this is great
2. The Dead Chief Judges Society - Ludicrous, but really enjoyed the characterful, bickering ghosts
3.Grinder - Goofy, violent, funny, perfect.

I could have done a top ten though, really enjoyed a lot of these stories.

You're a dark horse, Boots.

Trooper McFad

My selections are:
1- An Honest man
2- The Citadel
3- Grinder
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!

broodblik

1. Working Girl
2. Buratino Must Die
3. An Honest Man
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Broodblik, I wasabout to cover this next week. If you don't believe me, then message norton_crane or ColinWYNA, as they'll confirm it!!

As for stories themselves, I'll be confirming my votes ASAP!!
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

broodblik

Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 06 January, 2023, 10:30:19 AM
Broodblik, I wasabout to cover this next week. If you don't believe me, then message norton_crane or ColinWYNA, as they'll confirm it!!

My apologies, I did know someone wanted to cover this.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: broodblik on 06 January, 2023, 10:31:26 AM
Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 06 January, 2023, 10:30:19 AM

My apologies, I did know someone wanted to cover this.

To be fair, I did message them but unfortunately neither individual seemed interested in reviving the Best Dredd Strips this year and I didn't know/realise that anyone else was interested in reviving this topic this year. If you would like, I can e-mail you a list of Dredd tales in the Prog/Meg for ya...?
I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

broodblik

I have the progs covered but I decided not to add the meg stories

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: broodblik on 06 January, 2023, 10:39:40 AM

If I may be so bold as to ask, do you plan to continue this next year or would you like me to continue/start these topics...?
Texts from Last Night

WhizzBang

1. An Honest Man
2. The Citadel
3. Working Girl

broodblik

Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 06 January, 2023, 11:08:37 AM

If I may be so bold as to ask, do you plan to continue this next year or would you like me to continue/start these topics...?

I just jump in since it looked like nobody was going to do it, just jump in and do it next year

Link Prime

1) The Citadel (although it didn't live up to the hype).
2) An Honest Man (very solid mid-chapter of this arc).
3) Troublemaker (RIP Alan Grant).

Not a very memorable year for Dredd if I am being honest.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Quote from: broodblik on 06 January, 2023, 11:15:53 AM
Quote from: Batman's Superior Cousin on 06 January, 2023, 11:08:37 AM

I just jump in since it looked like nobody was going to do it, just jump in and do it next year

Ok, in that case I'll do the Meg stories next Monday or Tuesday and from next year onwards, I'll try and do both when norton_crane does his own Best Thrill-power strips of Yesteryear.

Anyway, getting back on topic...

1) Grinder
2) The Dead Chief Judge's Society
3) Special Relationship

All in terms of both art and story!!
Texts from Last Night

norton canes

1. Working Girl
Great story and Mona is a fantastic new character but most of all, the chase sequence was just real seat-edge stuff

2. An Honest Man
More brilliant character work from the Niemand droid

3. Naked Lunch
Biggest prog-related laugh of the year, what can I say?